rear suspension - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XC This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2019, 07:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
18-19 Mileage not much
15-16 Mileage: Zero
Riding Since: 70 s

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris bob View Post
Break out the propane torch and heat the head of the bolt up while doing the alternating tighten loose and from side to side. I know I put those bolts back in with red loctite just so they won't come loose while riding and you need heat to loosen red loctite.
Never use red loctite on those bolts...bad enough using blue. I have never used loctite on any of those rail bolts. In fact i've brushed some grease on them and socked them down well.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 12:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2007 Dragon 700 ////05' switchback 600
Previous Sled(s): 03 zr 900/ 03 zr 800/99 mach z 800/03 vmax 600/95 vmax 500/
Favorite Riding Area: your sister
18-19 Mileage not enough
17-18 Mileage: not enough
16-17 Mileage: not enough
15-16 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by too slow View Post
Can you apply some heat on the frozen shaft bolt area with a propane torch....lock up the side well the bolt comes loose on, and then try shock hitting the wrench/socket on the frozen bolt with a hammer.
done all that minus the heat. i will definitely get the torch out next go round and try that.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

pretty hard to beat the heat wrench. the other thing you can do is remove other cross shafts in the front area so you can spread the one rail a bit. use vise grips and hold the shaft. if the alum spacers need replacing? just grab that with the vise grip real tight. then use a air impact wrench. while a battery impacts are good. it no competition for a IR 1/2" titanium air impact. 600 ft. lbs of torque. if it won't move it will break it off.
ZR 800 efi likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Northstar Performance Products
Stage 1,2,3 clutch kits
Oil tank vent kits
Doo T-Stat bypass kits
Rush/Axys A-Arm bushing kits
550 fan upgrade kit

Our products have been race tested and proven all across North America!

Authorized dealer for
SLP
RK-Tek
WPS
US Chrome
Thunder Products
Automatic Distributors
Venom/Team Ind.
Redline Oil
Klotz Racing Synthetics
K100
northstarrick is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage not much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR 800 efi View Post
done all that minus the heat. i will definitely get the torch out next go round and try that.
Try some pb blaster or similar stuff on the joint as it cools if this doesn't work the first time...i've had pretty good luck with soaking the joint/bolt for a hr before trying again.
ZR 800 efi likes this.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage not much

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarrick View Post
pretty hard to beat the heat wrench. the other thing you can do is remove other cross shafts in the front area so you can spread the one rail a bit. use vise grips and hold the shaft. if the alum spacers need replacing? just grab that with the vise grip real tight. then use a air impact wrench. while a battery impacts are good. it no competition for a IR 1/2" titanium air impact. 600 ft. lbs of torque. if it won't move it will break it off.
I recently picked up a 24v kobalt cordless impact wrench at lower for $100 plus the buying a battery. That sucker will snap off those bolts id seized. I was really skeptical of those battery powered impact tools but now i'm a believer. The air tools are great more for the everyday shop guy that has to depend making a living off them, but for lighter duty, the occasional doit your seller, no hoses, no cords, you can't do much better.
ZR 800 efi and p51mstg like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement