Triple 650 in an edge chassis? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XC This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 XF High Country
Previous Sled(s): 2011 IQR 600, 2002 XCSP 700
Default Triple 650 in an edge chassis?

I currently have an 02 edge with a toasted motor that I don't think is worth repairing. I have an opportunity to get a 650 triple for a great price. I know this motor won't be the same as the 700 VES that was in the sled but I may be fun project and who doesn't like the sound of a triple triple!

I know there are lots of XCR 800 conversions out there but since this is an older motor I'm assuming the conversion will have different challenges. Has anyone ever done a conversion with an older triple? One of my concerns is that maybe the wiring harness won't be compatible? I know I will have the standard items to change like mounts, pipes, airbox/pod filters but is there anything else I should expect?

Any help is appreciated!
Sobil454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '17 Switch SP, '06 Switch, '02 XC5, '98 XC7
Previous Sled(s): '00 XCR 144, '97 XLT SP
Favorite Riding Area: Backwoods of Adk Mtns
Riding Since: 1992

Apples and oranges man, nothing at all in common; I love the old triples, but I'd steer clear, as it will be a ton of work and then what do you have that would have any value to jon q public.

At a minimum, presuming straightforward mechanical mocking-up/fitment, which it won't be, you've got to swap the full wiring harness, gauges, switches and make the necessary splices. Air box, exhaust, it is endless.

Take the $$$ from a part out and put towards an IQ would be my advice, or another EDGE; best of luck!
Old 11-04-2017, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 13 Indy, 01 600xcsp, 00 600xcsp
Previous Sled(s): 3 arcticcraps
Favorite Riding Area: from my house
Riding Since: 85

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...-00-xc-sp.html
-dw- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2017, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 XF High Country
Previous Sled(s): 2011 IQR 600, 2002 XCSP 700

Thanks for the input guys, its good to see how someone else did it. I figured it would be a ton of work and in the end add no value to the sled.

I've be doing some research and talking to the guy that has the motor and there is a risk that the motor isn't even running (at least he has never had it running, previous owner said it ran) so that would add another element to the build that would really make it not worth it.
Sobil454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement