2002 Edge 700 Locked Up - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XC This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2017, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 XF High Country
Previous Sled(s): 2011 IQR 600, 2002 XCSP 700
Default 2002 Edge 700 Locked Up

Hi Guys, I'm looking for some advice. I have a 2002 that blew the oil pump belt at the end of last season and subsequently went into limp mode on me on the trail. We didn't know it was the oil pump belt at the time and we towed it roughly 1 mile out of the trail and it was picked up in a trailer to get it home. We attempted to start it on the trailer and it fired right up as if everything was normal. The sled was idling on the trailer for 20-30 seconds and then it locked up. We couldn't turn the motor over then and I still can't to this day but I did tear into it to determine that it was an oil pump belt failure and that's as far as I got with it at the time. With that said it obviously locked up due to lack of oil and I would expect that the crank bearings are toast. I pulled the head off and it looks like the PTO side burned down as well as there are ring chunks taken out of the head and piston. The piston is at TDC so I can't see at this time if the cylinder is scored but I would assume it might be since the piston and head have damage?

So here is my questions. It's a 2002 with lots of miles on it and obviously isn't worth a lot of money so i don't want to dump a bunch of money into it if it's not worth it. The best I can tell with out tearing it completely apart is that it will required a crank rebuild, top end rebuild and potentially one jug. I do have the ability to rebuild and true the crank myself and I would plan on doing all the work myself so there is a cost savings there. But is it worth it to do a complete rebuild to a sled of this age or do I just part it out?
Sobil454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 14 Indy 800/ 05 800 XC
Previous Sled(s): 72 340 Rupp Nitro,73 440 Nitro,75 440 FA,02 Edge 500
Favorite Riding Area: Any where in WI.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1500
17-18 Mileage: 2300
16-17 Mileage: 2100
Riding Since: 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobil454 View Post
Hi Guys, I'm looking for some advice. I have a 2002 that blew the oil pump belt at the end of last season and subsequently went into limp mode on me on the trail. We didn't know it was the oil pump belt at the time and we towed it roughly 1 mile out of the trail and it was picked up in a trailer to get it home. We attempted to start it on the trailer and it fired right up as if everything was normal. The sled was idling on the trailer for 20-30 seconds and then it locked up. We couldn't turn the motor over then and I still can't to this day but I did tear into it to determine that it was an oil pump belt failure and that's as far as I got with it at the time. With that said it obviously locked up due to lack of oil and I would expect that the crank bearings are toast. I pulled the head off and it looks like the PTO side burned down as well as there are ring chunks taken out of the head and piston. The piston is at TDC so I can't see at this time if the cylinder is scored but I would assume it might be since the piston and head have damage?

So here is my questions. It's a 2002 with lots of miles on it and obviously isn't worth a lot of money so i don't want to dump a bunch of money into it if it's not worth it. The best I can tell with out tearing it completely apart is that it will required a crank rebuild, top end rebuild and potentially one jug. I do have the ability to rebuild and true the crank myself and I would plan on doing all the work myself so there is a cost savings there. But is it worth it to do a complete rebuild to a sled of this age or do I just part it out?
How many miles & condition of the rest of the sled?
Well,, you might of lucked out with the chucks going out the exhaust. So, cleaning the head,replacing pistons & rechroming & or cleaning,honing cyl. walls?
The piston probably seized to the cylinder wall. The crank is probably ok depending on how much debris went through it? It defiantly needs a good inspection & assessment before committing...
It might be time for a complete tear down depending on miles & damage.
Let see some pics.
Drumerjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

2002 with a lot of miles? it's almost 2018 so the sled is 16 years old. part it out. it's old worn out tech at best. if it has a lot of miles than a lot of stuff probably needs attention? clutches would be the first thing that comes to mind? shocks? suspension? etc. trade it for a bag of skittles or something usefull?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Northstar Performance Products
Stage 1,2,3 clutch kits
Oil tank vent kits
Doo T-Stat bypass kits
Rush/Axys A-Arm bushing kits
550 fan upgrade kit

Our products have been race tested and proven all across North America!

Authorized dealer for
SLP
RK-Tek
WPS
US Chrome
Thunder Products
Automatic Distributors
Venom/Team Ind.
Redline Oil
Klotz Racing Synthetics
K100
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2017, 05:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 SBA 850
Previous Sled(s): too many to choose from

That belt also drives the water pump , so it probably went into limp mode from lack of cooling
ivar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): O.M. 1000, 700 Heavy Mod, 700 IS XCR 1253, XC1214, P.S.700
Favorite Riding Area: N.W. Wisconsin
Riding Since: 1959

If you want to keep it it's probably cheaper to find a good used newer 700 engine, Haydays has dozens for sale each year if you can get there or know someone going.
XCR1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 SBA 850
Previous Sled(s): too many to choose from

agree.. ^
ivar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 TZ1
Previous Sled(s): 2003 Polaris Touring

I agree that a used motor may well be the way to go. Just drop it in and ride, at least you will know the cost up front.

As for parting it out, I don't much experience with that, but if it is 'old worn out tech, with a lot of parts that need attention', what will you really get for parting it out? Seems like a lot of work for the benefit, but please correct me if I don't see how this can work.
polariscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR1250 View Post
If you want to keep it it's probably cheaper to find a good used newer 700 engine, Haydays has dozens for sale each year if you can get there or know someone going.
X3, and it doesn't need to be a 700. Any big block of that vintage will go right in along with some minor work and parts, but if you have other worn out issues with the sled, better just to take your loses and part it out.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 XF High Country
Previous Sled(s): 2011 IQR 600, 2002 XCSP 700

Thanks for the input guys. The sled is in overall great condition considering its age. As for the mileage it realistically has approx 14,000 miles on it (i say that because the odometer says 84xx but it was unplugged for three trips that were 2000 miles a piece). We have never been into this motor before and we have never had a reason until now. With that mileage I'm think a complete rebuild would be in order/the smart thing to do (depending on cost of course). The shocks are due for a rebuild but both clutches were rebuilt last fall and in great working order and the track has less than 300 miles on it (1.25" ripsaw w/ 96 studs). Once i have the motor apart I will throw up some pics.

I have thought about dropping in a big block complete motor if i can find a good deal. There isn't much available in my area. I would love to go down for Haydays but realistically that's not going to happen. I'm keeping my eyes out for a motor or a wrecked sled.
Sobil454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement