Hardcore Sledder banner

600 in an IQ...Pipe options?

16K views 51 replies 20 participants last post by  dodger 
#1 ·
Will be doing a 600 in the very near future and I'd like to know all of the options out there for a single pipe.

- AkIQPilot's Mod- pics? more info?

-D-Max? Price?

-SLP $529

Any others?

#31 ·
I have been debating this for a while, I just decided to do the pipe mod.

I had to order the minimum 6 foot of the 1.4 ID tubing. So if there is any one out there looking for a section to do the pipe mod that AK described I could send out 6 inch sections.[/b]
I am going to be doing this mod also. I'll buy a piece of tubing off you.....

Arik

#33 ·
Arik

I should have the pipe in a couple of days I'll let you know. I will be in the Buffalo area this weekend, if I get the pipe in time and cut I could save you the shipping cost. How does $15 + shipping sound.

Jeff[/b]

Just a reminder and you likely already realize this but you will need about 1" of 1.5"ID tubing to use as a receiver for the 1.4" tubing. Look at 02800x's picture, the larger tubing is welded to the U-Tube and the smaller tubing us welded in place of the stock stinger that you are going to cut off. On the stock U-Tube you cut the little flare off so the 1.5" tubing slips over it. IF you don't already have the 1.5" tubing you should be able to find it at a MIDAS shop or some little shop like that.

I bought all my stuff from Aaen and they sell 18" pieces of tubing in various sizes, or at least they did this last season when I made my last order.

Good luck and keep us informed, If you have any questions ask them here.

Ak

#34 ·
Ak

I have the 1.5 ID stuff, but I was only able to get a few inches and it's 11 gauge, heavy. I knew the 1.4 ID was the more critical and harder to find, that's why I bought a length and offered the rest here. If I can help a few people, cool.

Do you think a muffler shop could flare the end so the 1.4 would fit directly into the u-tube, or is the wall already too thin.

Thank you for all of your insight and knowledge, you have greatly helped all of us plan and produce quality work.

#35 ·
Just a reminder and you likely already realize this but you will need about 1" of 1.5"ID tubing to use as a receiver for the 1.4" tubing. Look at 02800x's picture, the larger tubing is welded to the U-Tube and the smaller tubing us welded in place of the stock stinger that you are going to cut off. On the stock U-Tube you cut the little flare off so the 1.5" tubing slips over it. IF you don't already have the 1.5" tubing you should be able to find it at a MIDAS shop or some little shop like that.

I bought all my stuff from Aaen and they sell 18" pieces of tubing in various sizes, or at least they did this last season when I made my last order.

Good luck and keep us informed, If you have any questions ask them here.

Ak[/b]

Thanks for the tip. I think I've got enough scrap laying around that I should be able to make something work with the lathe. I also thought about just welding in the 1.4 on both ends. Yeah, the muffler wouldnt come off without taking the pipe out, but is that such a bad thing? This will be my first year with the IQ, so I dont know how much I'd have to take it off?? I'm not planning on changing gears once they are set. What do you guys think?

Arik

#36 ·
Thanks for the tip. I think I've got enough scrap laying around that I should be able to make something work with the lathe. I also thought about just welding in the 1.4 on both ends. Yeah, the muffler wouldnt come off without taking the pipe out, but is that such a bad thing? This will be my first year with the IQ, so I dont know how much I'd have to take it off?? I'm not planning on changing gears once they are set. What do you guys think?

Arik[/b]
I thought about going that route, but I figured that I would have some problem in the chaincase and then I'd be screwed.

Murphy will get you every time.

#37 ·
Tom, could you post the pictures of the 440 stinger mod? Because, as you know, I can´t see them anymore:(

I have ordered parts from patrik at SMP, so I can modify the 440 exhaust as soon as I find a sled to put my 600VES into..

But when I get more money:
Will the SLP pipe+can from a 600rr work on a stock 2002 600VES?
What about twins? Will it work from a 600rr?
What would you reccomend?

I´m thinking about doing some mild porting to the engine next summer..What pipe should I go with then?

#40 ·
Tom, could you post the pictures of the 440 stinger mod? Because, as you know, I can´t see them anymore:(

I have ordered parts from patrik at SMP, so I can modify the 440 exhaust as soon as I find a sled to put my 600VES into..

I´m thinking about doing some mild porting to the engine next summer..What pipe should I go with then?[/b]
Anyone?

Another question..Slp pipe+modified 440 can?

#41 ·
could someone post the pictures of the 440 stinger mod? Because, as you know, I can´t see the old ones anymore:(

I have ordered parts from patrik at SMP(Swedish mountain products), so I can modify the 440 exhaust as soon as I find a sled to put my 600VES into..

I´m thinking about doing some mild porting to the engine next summer..What pipe should I go with then?[/b]
ttt

#43 · (Edited)
OK, so I finally found some of the pictures that have been missing from this thread for a few years. I had saved this thread on one computer but the pictures were on a computer that hasn't even been turned on for almost 2 years. I finally located them and am posting.

I have received several calls and PM's in the last 2 weeks about using the 440 pipe for a 600 motor and figured it was time to resurect this old thread. I'm going to admit right up front that it's kinda fun digging up an old thread from years ago. I don't know why i always give guys a hard time when they do the same thing. Sometimes these old threads have some good info in them that is valuable for everyone on the forum.

If you go back through this thread you will find lots of specific info about enlarging the stinger on the stock 440 pipe so it will work for a 600 motor. This stinger mod is not the perfect solution for a pipe but it will fit into even the strictest budget. This pipe mod costs about $30 and will work pretty darn good untill you can save up for a great pipe from Dynoport or one of the other pipe builders.

These pictures are from a sled that I built back in '06. Eventually the kid installed a Carls Cycle 660 kit on the motor and it ran great even with the modded 440 pipe. These are the same pictures that were missing on page 3 of this thread.

Look back through this thread for more details about this mod.

Auto part Vehicle Car Engine

Auto part Vehicle Car Engine Windshield

Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior Tire Automotive wheel system

Auto part Vehicle Car Engine

#46 · (Edited)
Just adding pics of my sled with the larger stinger plumbing. I just got this sled and the previous owner said the Carl's 660 runs great even with the 440 pipe and this stinger mod. We'll see! I can't wait to run it.

I don't know dimensions.. If/when I pull it off I can measure inner diameter.

#48 ·
Thanks akiqpilot. In comparing this U flange to yours, appears to be all one size with no collar/flange on either end. It appears to be larger which would allow for more flow. I assume more flow here is a good thing. Question... How would one know if the motor is struggling to breathe? Will it fall on it's face on long pulls at WOT?

#51 ·
Ok I wanna do this mod just couple questions. 1. What is a stinger? Is it where the pipe tapers down? 2. Are u changing the u pipe for a bigger size or just where it connects on each end? I'm just trying to get this mod done last thing to do on my 600 ves swapped 06 iqr. Appreciate it. Lots of good info from u. Hopefully this clears it up for everyone. These threads are so old it's hard to find what your looking for now.

#52 · (Edited)
stinger as they call it is the tapered end of the pipe the u tube hooks to. The u tube is bigger and the tube into the exhaust can that it slides over/in (depending how you do it). Some have just ran the 440 stock exhaust on a VES600 with good luck as well. Personally I would do the mod, buy a R pipe and can, or an RR. I have been told the 440 pipe and can work fine although

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.