Thinking of Apex xtx or Vector xtx need help from owners - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Apex / Vector / Rx1 This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2020, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 59
Default Thinking of Apex xtx or Vector xtx need help from owners

Hey all,

I owned a 2006 Apex Gt 14 yrs ago only for about 2 yrs. i loved the sound and donít remember the weight being that big of deal but wasnít impressed with the ride

I was out of the sport until getting back in 3 yrs ago (went with 3 skidoo 900ace). I havenít been that impressed with the rMotion either.

I may add another sled, and was thinking about building a trail cruiser adding an m-10 airwave.

My questions is what year did the power steering come out and did it make a difference or just marketing hype?

And do all the newer Apexís and Vector from year xxxx have power steering or only certain models?

Lastly has anyone put an airwave in an apex or vector, and what was the result?

Thx
Enduro900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 146
Default

Apex got PS in 2011, and Vector in 2012. All models of both have it, regardless of other options.

Yes, it works, and works great. I took my wife's 2015 Vector LTX GT for a 100+ mile ride this winter just to see how much different it is, and the PS is very noticeable vs our other 3 sleds without ( Apex & 2 Vectors)

Not only does it turn effortlessly, but the PS absorbs bump steer helping the sled to track straighter.

Can't help ya with the Airwave question though. I do know that Yamaha put an air shock in the skid of the Vector in 2016 or 17 and people HATED IT.

For trail cruising, I feel as though the Monoshock rides very good. It can't handle deep moguls, but the Apex & Vector chassis isn't mean for that type of riding. They are trail cruisers, not Sno X machines.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
biff.org likes this.

Last edited by 08nytrortx; 03-02-2020 at 05:30 PM.
08nytrortx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08nytrortx View Post
Apex got PS in 2011, and Vector in 2012. All models of both have it, regardless of other options.

Yes, it works, and works great. I took my wife's 2015 Vector LTX GT for a 100+ mile ride this winter just to see how much different it is, and the PS is very noticeable vs our other 3 sleds without ( Apex & 2 Vectors)

Not only does it turn effortlessly, but the PS absorbs bump steer helping the sled to track straighter.

Can't help ya with the Airwave question though. I do know that Yamaha put an air shock in the skid of the

Vector in 2016 or 17 and people HATED IT.

For trail cruising, I feel as though the Monoshock rides very good. It can't handle deep moguls, but the Apex & Vector chassis isn't mean for that type of riding. They are trail cruisers, not Sno X machines.


Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Thanks 08Nytrotx, this is helpful.....i hope somehow Yamaha can get back to building their own unique sleds....the Yamacats just dont interest me
s10mike likes this.
Enduro900 is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Old 03-05-2020, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro900 View Post
Thanks 08Nytrotx, this is helpful.....i hope somehow Yamaha can get back to building their own unique sleds....the Yamacats just dont interest me
Although I agree with you about building their own chassis again, the partnership with Cat doesn't bother me personally, what bothers me are the shortcomings of the drivetrain of that Pro Cross chassis & Yamaha not stepping in and fixing it.

I would love to have a Viper or possibly a Sidewinder, but I'll be damned if I buy a POS that uses a bushing in the chaincase that fails on a regular basis, along with driveshafts that get ruined due to poor quality control of machine work & are machined too small allowing the shaft to spin inside the bearing race.

What kind of "high tech" modern machine rides on a bushing & a non retained bearing in their driveline?... oh yeah, Arctic Cat junk.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Team Blue and s10mike like this.
08nytrortx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
s10mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 205
Current Sled(s): 2017 yamaha apex xtx and 2001 sx700r
Previous Sled(s): yamahas: 01 sxr 700&600 '99 vmax 500
Location: Holland MI
Favorite Riding Area: northern and U.P. MI
Age: 45
Default

EPS is nice. The pull of the Apex engine is quiet something. Vectors ok, but the Apex has power. Apex xtx got the singleshot airshock skid, and 146 track in 2016. 2011-2015 xtx has a 144 track. Alot of the 144 guys install the star suspension kit and absolutely love it. I would start there. Might not even need the airwave
s10mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08nytrortx View Post
Although I agree with you about building their own chassis again, the partnership with Cat doesn't bother me personally, what bothers me are the shortcomings of the drivetrain of that Pro Cross chassis & Yamaha not stepping in and fixing it.

I would love to have a Viper or possibly a Sidewinder, but I'll be damned if I buy a POS that uses a bushing in the chaincase that fails on a regular basis, along with driveshafts that get ruined due to poor quality control of machine work & are machined too small allowing the shaft to spin inside the bearing race.

What kind of "high tech" modern machine rides on a bushing & a non retained bearing in their driveline?... oh yeah, Arctic Cat junk.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Yeah I agree nothing from A/C interests me, and if Yamaha is going to use their chassis they could still do some things to make it their own.
08nytrortx likes this.
Enduro900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10mike View Post
EPS is nice. The pull of the Apex engine is quiet something. Vectors ok, but the Apex has power. Apex xtx got the singleshot airshock skid, and 146 track in 2016. 2011-2015 xtx has a 144 track. Alot of the 144 guys install the star suspension kit and absolutely love it. I would start there. Might not even need the airwave
I agree with the Apex engine. I had a 2006 Apex GT and really liked the sled (although it was a long time ago itís hard to remember:lol

I really dont ride hard anymore (rarely go over 70mph, ride mostly 40mph-60mph 100% trails) so was curious as to how much lighter the vector feels up front (if the weight difference is even noticeable)?
Enduro900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro900 View Post
I agree with the Apex engine. I had a 2006 Apex GT and really liked the sled (although it was a long time ago itís hard to remember

I really dont ride hard anymore (rarely go over 70mph, ride mostly 40mph-60mph 100% trails) so was curious as to how much lighter the vector feels up front (if the weight difference is even noticeable)?
Owning both, I can tell you the Vector is clearly lighter, and you can feel it overall, not just in the front. However, if you get an Apex with EPS, the EPS is gonna hide that.

As far as power goes, the Vector really doesn't give a whole lot up to about 80 MPH, after that the Apex will start walking away. That 3 cyl is a torque monster, yet still has respectable top end. A Vector will do 100 mph if given enough room to. It just won't get there as quickly as the Apex.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
08nytrortx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 426
Location: Northern Il
Default

Apex XTX is the best sled on the market to this date. Love mine! 14,000 miles and still counting.
biff.org and s10mike like this.
Team Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
s10mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 205
Current Sled(s): 2017 yamaha apex xtx and 2001 sx700r
Previous Sled(s): yamahas: 01 sxr 700&600 '99 vmax 500
Location: Holland MI
Favorite Riding Area: northern and U.P. MI
Age: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08nytrortx View Post
Owning both, I can tell you the Vector is clearly lighter, and you can feel it overall, not just in the front. However, if you get an Apex with EPS, the EPS is gonna hide that.

As far as power goes, the Vector really doesn't give a whole lot up to about 80 MPH, after that the Apex will start walking away. That 3 cyl is a torque monster, yet still has respectable top end. A Vector will do 100 mph if given enough room to. It just won't get there as quickly as the Apex.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Thats what a friend of mine with a 2014 vector xtx(nice sled) kept telling me all day. His dealer told him that vector was no difference than an apex to 100mph. Then we raced, and it wasnt even close. My apex beat him so bad that i never heard another word about it. That being said, Vectors are great sleds, and i wouldnt have any problem riding or owning one. Id take it over a viper or sidewinder any day
s10mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.