Heading to the Snowies, but I have a question - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Wyoming This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello, this is my first post on this forum.

Planning a trip to the Snowy Range in either December or January this upcoming winter. I'm likely going to be staying on the Eastern side of the range near Centennial. I've been to W. Yellowstone a few times but was looking for another location to ride. The snowies looks like a great place with awesome snow depths. I have a question for those that have been to this area. There is a place I really want to visit while I'm out in the area. It's located near Encampment and it's off the beaten path a bit. It's just South of 230 before you'd get to Encampment by a few miles. Is it even possible to ride a snowmobile up and over the Snowy Range all he way to Encampment? I've been wanting to visit this particular place since I found it existed a couple years ago. I don't see myself getting any closer than when I will be staying near Centennial.

Possible to make this round trip in a day from Centennial on a sled?

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

As far as I know you can not ride a sled from the Centenial side to Encampment.

What I would recommend is stay in Saratoga and ride both the snowies and the Sierre Madres during your stay. If you stayed in Saratoga you would be about a 30 min pull to either of the mountains.
sclwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
As far as I know you can not ride a sled from the Centenial side to Encampment.

What I would recommend is stay in Saratoga and ride both the snowies and the Sierre Madres during your stay. If you stayed in Saratoga you would be about a 30 min pull to either of the mountains.[/b]
Can't justify being a sled "owner" living in Central Ohio. Centennial is where I'm going to base camp and rent a sled. From looking at the trail map, it's fairly easy going around or over the range to the West side. But at that point the trail ends and it would be a rough ride 20-30 miles fresh tracking through the range down towards Encampment. Not sure it can be done either, just was curious if anyone had tried. To me, this sounds like quite a little adventure! Not giving up yet...

I suppose if I could ride along 130 then hang a left down 230 toward Riverside there'd be a slim chance of making it, very slim. Not idea how it would look driving along the road or if it's even legal. Maybe if I can hook up with a local rider the chances of making it would get better.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, after looking closely at Mapquest and Google Earth I might have misjudged the distances those Snowy trails take a sledder West. It just doesn't look like they take you over the range. I still could be wrong about that though. I humbly defer the those with local knowledge.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

If you look on a map you can ride trails from Snowy Range lodge to the community of Ryan Park. Even just a tad further on the right trail. The only way you would make it to Encampment riding the road is if there is a tremendous winter. Usually down in the valley there is little to no snow, as it always blows away. You are looking at "TRYING" to ditchbang about 30 plus miles from Ryan Park to Encampment. I wouldn't attempt it on "My sleds" anyway.

I doubt anyone would say anything if you road the side of the ditch but never know when you look like a sore thumb out in the middle of nowhere, when there is never sleds there.

Just my .02. I live in Laramie and ride the range regularly throughout the year. If you have anymore questions keep asking.

Scott
Old 06-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

(sclwald @ Jun 12 2008, 08:12 PM)
Quote:
If you look on a map you can ride trails from Snowy Range lodge to the community of Ryan Park. Even just a tad further on the right trail. The only way you would make it to Encampment riding the road is if there is a tremendous winter. Usually down in the valley there is little to no snow, as it always blows away. You are looking at "TRYING" to ditchbang about 30 plus miles from Ryan Park to Encampment. I wouldn't attempt it on "My sleds" anyway.

I doubt anyone would say anything if you road the side of the ditch but never know when you look like a sore thumb out in the middle of nowhere, when there is never sleds there.

Just my .02. I live in Laramie and ride the range regularly throughout the year. If you have anymore questions keep asking.

Scott[/b]
I see exactly what you're talking about on the trail map now. The ungroomed trail on the far west side of the trial system does go a little far west of Ryan Park. Up and over a smaller incline there. In fact RP looks like it sits a little between rangges there, sort of in a valley itself. Now I can put that map into perspective, much appreciated! Ironically, RP is well over over halfway to the spot I wanted to visit from Centennial. But like you said, the wind would likely blow any snow away between Ryan Park and my destination. Your state is famous for those winds. I might have to attempt a drive to that location instead of a sled ride. But that would have been pretty cool.

Hey, if you're up for it I'd buy you a tank of gas for your sled if you wouldn't mind some riding company while I'm out there. I'm going to be staying at the Mt. Meadow Cabins most likely.

I do have a question, a little of the subject. Which has more elevation. Medicine Bow Peak or Elk Mt? Hard to tell on google Earth. :P
Old 06-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Medicine Bow Peak.

I am not going to commit so early but look me up when the time comes. I ride the range about every other weekend during riding season so the chances are good I will be able to ride.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Medicine Bow Peak.

I am not going to commit so early but look me up when the time comes. I ride the range about every other weekend during riding season so the chances are good I will be able to ride.[/b]
I have some mroe questions aobut the area...

Centennial is way down the range towards Laramie, I get that. The Snowy Mountain lodge, is that on the way up toward Mountain Meadows? Also, is that the main place to eat if I don't bring my own provisions? Just trying to get an idea of the layout of the land. Mountain Meadows sounds like a place the is well off the beaten path...which is perfect!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Mountain Meadows is just up the highway from Snowy Mountain Lodge. You meals will be easy to find actually. Snowy Mountain Lodge will be your main spot. But jump in the truck or if snow is good when you come ride down to Centennial and eat. It is about 5 miles down the road but the elevatation drop makes riding a sled usually tricky. Or jump on the sled and ride over to Ryans Park where you have a few options as well. Or ride over to Albany Lodge which is quite a ride for a quick bite but a good lunch or breakfast ride.

And if you are really tired of eating up on the mountain drive into town 32 miles and have anything you want.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement