Snowy Range Conditions - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Wyoming This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Well today was our first ride up on the Snowy Range for the year. Hopefully I can give updates as I ride and feel free to put your two cents in on the conditions when you ride.

The snow is plentiful but there is no base to it. You have to be extremely careful of small trees, rocks and stumps. Some of the creeks were still deep drop offs and some of the lakes are not solidly frozen. I am sure they are safe but they do have slushy tops. The snow on the back side is easily 4ft deep and more in some spots.

The trails are in their infancey for the season and were in good condition. The highway was very rough though. Grooming has been to a minimum but has been done.

The warming hut has yet to be pulled in and some of the less ridden trails are not marked with the orange markers yet. This was a problem today as the wind made it hard to see when you were in the open.

So if we can get this snow to settle and get new snow it won't be long before the riding is up to snowy range standards.

The proposed new parking lot at Green Rock was not built this year and Maverick Motorsports seems to be renting sleds this year at the lodge. I don't know if it is all the time or just some times. I talked to Dave, snowy range lodge owner, and he had a few sleds he was renting out as well. If you havn't seen their webpage yet, they did get a webcam this year and try to update the conditions at the lodge on a weekly basis as well. It can be found here: http://www.snowymountainlodge.com/
sclwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

12/11

More snow has been falling the last few days. Have no personal reports.

Here is another link I use. http://dayweather.com/keystone/weathertext.html
It includes cams of Keystone, Albany, Wyocolo and more.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thanks
I watch your links and updates daily. Do you know if the groomer is grooming from albany yet? 6 days and I will be there. 650 mile pull though.
skidoo56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I havn't been up in two weeks. Hopefully I can get out on this upcoming long weekend.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Well woke up early this morning to head to the mountain and I am not going to go. The wind is howling 29mph here in Laramie. So probably well above 50mph on the range. I am not going to waste my time pulling up there just to be miserable.

Man I need to find some time to ride. Today was the day and look what mother nature throws at me. Sorry.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?s...7&map.y=126
Old 01-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

This Wyoming weather is getting a little rediculous. Weekdays are nice for the most part and then saturday rolls around and 60-70mph winds today. I don't think I want to be on the mountain in that.

One of these days I will have a day off that is nice and get to go.
I appoligize for anyone hanging on my reports as I wish I could go riding as bad as you want to see post and pics.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Junk

Quote:
This Wyoming weather is getting a little rediculous. Weekdays are nice for the most part and then saturday rolls around and 60-70mph winds today. I don't think I want to be on the mountain in that.

One of these days I will have a day off that is nice and get to go.
I appoligize for anyone hanging on my reports as I wish I could go riding as bad as you want to see post and pics.[/b]
Talked to a gal at the rendevus lodge yesterday and was told that you guys were supposed to get 3-4 feet of new snow is this correct?
green-patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Look three posts up. I posted a link that updates itself for the Snowy Range forcast. Looks good right now.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

1/12/08

Well I finally made it up on the mountain. We unloaded at Albany lodge and rode some fields there instead of heading up on the Range. The snow is incredibly deep. There was about 2-3ft of fresh powder today in some places. Everyone on short tracks did alot of digging today. It was incredible on a mountain sled though. Even they had problems at times. Getting them above the snow was impossible. It was hard to see almost all the time as the front of the sleds were plowing through it. The pictures aren't great but check them out. The snow on the centenial side is always deeper so if we had snow like this today then it is insane on the other side.

Great snow but leave your flantlander sled at home if you are coming out before it gets a chance to settle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement