When is the best time to ride the Snowies - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Wyoming This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2007, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 06 F5 SP, 05 F7 EXT
Previous Sled(s): a lot
Favorite Riding Area: Depends on the weather
Riding Since: 1985

At the current moment I have a cabin reseved from February 17th through the 23rd and am just wondering when the best time to really go is since I still have the ability to change dates. How is the riding there in early March or late January???

Carving With My MBRP Coffee Can

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
arcticf7snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I went at the beginning of january last year and it was alright weather wise. We had a couple good days of riding and a couple white out conditions where it wasnt even worth it to be on a sled. Also, it wasnt that cold during the day. I guess that was my experience in beginnning of January. Otherwise the riding and terrain were excellent! I will be going back, we just havent picked a day yet.

I knew a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself.
jafraune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
At the current moment I have a cabin reseved from February 17th through the 23rd and am just wondering when the best time to really go is since I still have the ability to change dates. How is the riding there in early March or late January???[/b]
we went out there in the middle of march some of the best riding,most of the snow is settled by then somewhat of a base,but you can find plenty of places to play that are still very deep,I liked it that time of the year,temps where in the 30's and less likly to have bad weather then. by the way my avatar is from the snowies
sks800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Your avatar rocks. I hope to find some extreme terrain like no other around here and I also hope I can keep the sleds in one peice for the trip home. I am so pumped since this will be my first time out there riding. My whole winter is going to be preparing for the trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

The Snowy's are hard to judge. The best time varies year to year. Last year wasn't very good at all anytime of the year. If I were to go out and guess I would say Late January early February. But as mentioned above the weather this time of year can get nasty in an instant. Heading into March is usually pushing it unless we have a good snow year.
sclwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Feburary 17th 2008 is forcasted as 15 deg, clear and calm after the 39" snowfall occuring on the 16th. Most roads are closed due to this and have been for the last 36 hours. As most out of state snowmobilers are trying to find a place in Nebraska to sleep waiting for the snow to clear, the locals in Snowy Range are having a BLAST since they can't go to work and the gas truck is snowed in at the pump.

Now down to reality,,, This time is as good as any. The best times to avoid are the Holidays if you can which account for less people. Check the alamac as it is about as accurate as anything.

See the Text attachment for snowfall for the last few years by month.

AM
Albany Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thanks for some more info. I think I am going to stick with the original dates. Seems to work out the best and I hope the weather cooperates for the travel. Once I am there it can dump that 39 inches cause even if I get snowed in the longer I can stay and play. Just tack another weeks vacation to it and make it a two week event.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

...not sure what ur sled u were gonna bring out there...but if ur bringin ur F7 out....u are gonna wanna go later in the year... feb should still have some pow..and a shorty plus 5 feet of fluff = going nowhere..

ive had no problem with my f7 sp going out in end of march and early april (this was like togwotee/and some ranges out of jackson) but ...either way..snow is set up more...and u can climb pretty much anything...takes a little more work then the big long sleds but still a blast..no comparison to the flatlands...

Big Fire Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I am going to take a F7 EXT, a F5 SP with a 1.7 lug track on it and a 01 ZR 440 SP with a 1.75 track just to beat the crap out of up there. I guess I can deal with not being able to climb everything out there, but I definatly would like to be able to play in some deep powder bowls and do some serious off trail boondocking. Around here I have found some decently deep stuff about 3-4 feet deep and seemed to do pretty good with what I had. I guess if worse comes to worse I have been debating on maybe leaving the 440 home and renting a longtrack for a few of the days to get the climbing issue out of my blood and beat the crap out of someone elses sled.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I have also been thinking about buying a 99 Powder Special like maybe a 600 or 700 with a 136 inch track and 2 inch lugs or a 01 MC with a 144 also to slam the heck out of as a third sled. I definatly do want to take the Firecats though. They just are such fun machines around here that I would atleast want to give them a go out there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement