When is the best time to ride the Snowies - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Wyoming This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 10:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

the ext will do all right.. all depends on the snow condtions ...if its set up mealy snow then should be lot easier..but even the big moutain sleds when its like 3 feet of fluff ontop of fluff they dont even go very far... (sleds loose power out west too.. ur 7 will be the best sled to bring out)

remember..its a lot difference going on 3 feet of snow in a big open swamp..but in the mountains u have to climb inclines...and sometimes just a small incline is like ur climbing mt everest...

it will be fun either way though dont get me wrong.. i just know it got very old after a day riding in fluff and litterally every 5-10 min getting stuck and takin 10-20 min to get unstuck... (even the big sleds were too sometimes.)

alwasy stop pointing downhill and make a cirlce and stop back in ur tracks...otherwise if its fluff u will just trench yourself when u start up again...

ive rode with renegades with 2inch paddles 144's and rev 159's in the spring and with the right snow we all can get to the same spots...some just easier and faster then others haha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Fire Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 10:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 06 F5 SP, 05 F7 EXT
Previous Sled(s): a lot
Favorite Riding Area: Depends on the weather
Riding Since: 1985

Yep, it should be interesting. I definatly agree it will be different riding in deep pow out there, I think if I end up getting stuck all the time then I might park the F5 and rent a sled or jump on something else. My plans had gone as follows. The F7 EXT will be my boondocker, the F5 Sno Pro will be my jumping and big air sled and the 440 or MC or whateverelse will be my shoot first ask questions later machine. Hopefully when I am out there I get the best of both worlds. Some areas of powder and some areas of setup snow. The main reason why I wouldn't want to go later is because to me for the first time riding out there I want the genuine experience. Riding hard setup snow would kinda remind me of what alot of the riding is around here. I want the ability to just submerge my sled in deep snow and ride like never before. I say this now cause I am sitting in this chair typing, but I probably wouldn't mind getting stuck often cause it should only make me a better rider with what I have and if I end up on a true longtrack I might actually be dangerous. lol

Carving With My MBRP Coffee Can

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
arcticf7snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

If you can time it during a deep powder time you may have a little trouble around here. Also you have to think about rejetting your sleds before coming out. You will have major troubles if you don't. It is easily 8000 feet and upwards of 10000 if you climb and trust me losing power during some of the climbs here could be ugly.
sclwald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '13 M800 Limited
Previous Sled(s): '12 M800, '08 M8 Nightfire, '04 F7 151

Quote:
Riding hard setup snow would kinda remind me of what alot of the riding is around here.[/b]
When mountain riders talk of hard setup snow, it's about like the soft stuff you'd ditch bang in here or in the UP. Mountain "hard" does not equal sled staying on top of the snow and not getting stuck like windblown Midwestern snow.

Leave the F5 and 440 at home; mountains need torque and square inches of flotation of which neither of those have; bring just the F7 EXT. Once you learn how to ride in real snow, the F7 will go anywhere a Powder Special will so don't waste your money on a sled like that.

Mountain riding is 99% rider skill and 1% sled capability. Forget your flatlander ways...

Here's my F7's impersonation of a lawn dart in setup mountain snow.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 06 F5 SP, 05 F7 EXT
Previous Sled(s): a lot
Favorite Riding Area: Depends on the weather
Riding Since: 1985

What did you have for a track on your F7 out west??? I only have the 1.25 right now, but have been looking for a 1.5. I have had the oportunity to by a 2.25 finger track for it, but I don't think I have the clearance and I don't want to change the drivers to 9 tooth. I like the ten tooth setup I currently have. If the 1.25 does allright out there I might just leave that on also.

Carving With My MBRP Coffee Can

arcticf7snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Don't forget clutching! Mountains are horse power robbing beasts!

ps, I do have a Speedwerx helix, weight and sec spring off my 2004 F6.....for 9K feet...it would make it scream!
Old 12-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Sledless
Previous Sled(s): 99 INDY500XCSP
Favorite Riding Area: Togwotee WY
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 330
Riding Since: 97 ?

Quote:
What did you have for a track on your F7 out west??? I only have the 1.25 right now, but have been looking for a 1.5. I have had the oportunity to by a 2.25 finger track for it, but I don't think I have the clearance and I don't want to change the drivers to 9 tooth. I like the ten tooth setup I currently have. If the 1.25 does allright out there I might just leave that on also.[/b]
Im not trying to be an jerk, but you might as well forget the 1.25" track.. Granted it is alot of rider ability like someone pointed out, but if you find yourself in any amt of powder, you are going to be struggling to do any amt of climbing.... There just isnt the enough surface area to be able to throw the snow out the back and get you going...but thats just my 2 pennies...

WTB-600 Switchback
03 Pro-XR 440 w/a 02 pro-x600 engine. C&A trail skis, 1.5" Camo Intense, PERC.SOLD :-(
Pro-x 600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

If you know how to ride you don't need a long track. My first time out west I rode my Rev 121x1.25 and I had no problems. Granted, you won't be able to go everywhere but darn close. You really need to be able to man handle your sled and carve around in the tight spots. Plus when you do bury it you don't have to spend an hour digging it out like the guys with 14 foot long sleds, haha. I put a 121x1.625 on my Rev now and I love it. I don't need anything longer. I can throw that sled around like nobody's business, make it my bitch, if ya know what I mean. If you're not confident you can handle your sled li9ke that then more track will help.
rollig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '05 xc500 50th
Previous Sled(s): many sleds
Favorite Riding Area: Untouched Pipelines !
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1300
Riding Since: '73

8 guys are leaving jamestown ny and n.w. pa. this morning.
heading to dubois wy. they have been going there for 12 years.
they say you do NOT go out there with nothing less than a 2"
paddle. they all have '06 attacks 1000 with 151" x 2".
if you go with anything less well i hope you like to shovel snow.
why shovel when you can float. it's a no brainer....
that's if you want to do any type of boondocking, which that's
what they do.
two weeks of shit cond. around here or two weeks of
boondocking at 11,000 ft. plus....
if you are going out west go with a group it's cheaper.
they have it broke down to $950 per person for two weeks.
that's gas and condo.
not bad for two weeks of play..........

snotrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
8 guys are leaving jamestown ny and n.w. pa. this morning.
heading to dubois wy. they have been going there for 12 years.
they say you do NOT go out there with nothing less than a 2"
paddle. they all have '06 attacks 1000 with 151" x 2".
if you go with anything less well i hope you like to shovel snow.
why shovel when you can float. it's a no brainer....
that's if you want to do any type of boondocking, which that's
what they do.
two weeks of shit cond. around here or two weeks of
boondocking at 11,000 ft. plus....
if you are going out west go with a group it's cheaper.
they have it broke down to $950 per person for two weeks.
that's gas and condo.
not bad for two weeks of play..........[/b]
No Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement