HCS Snowmobile Forums

HCS Snowmobile Forums (https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/)
-   Wyoming (https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/295-wyoming/)
-   -   looking to move to wyoming (https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/295-wyoming/197517-looking-move-wyoming.html)

haaps 12-30-2006 05:23 AM

me and a couple of friends are looking to move to wyoming just wondering where the best place to move to would be. We are looking for an area to do lots of riding but we also need to be able to find jobs

Thanks

OrangeM7 05-05-2007 12:50 PM

I live in Gillette, Wy This town is rocking, you can get more jobs here for good money than anywhere. The Bighorn mountains are 1 hour away, I ride up there all the time.

Chop-Chop 05-31-2007 08:15 PM

I am new to hardcoresledder and i just came across your post. Check out Togwotee Mountain Lodge @ togwoteelodge.com .Done a bit of riding there. Definatelely check it out. An awesome place to ride.

2004F6EFI 07-07-2007 02:00 PM

I am living in Green River, WY right now, out from Maine for the summer. I am doing an engineering internship and have fallen in love with the place. Never been out in the winter but everyone I talk to who is into sledding has nothing but good things to say about it, especially the backcountry riding. Not to mention the skiing too if you're into that as well. There are jobs up the ying yang paying damn good money as long as you can pass a drug test. There's a big meth problem the next town east of here, Rock Springs. I would recommend Green River as a place to look into living/working. It seems like the opportunities are endless out here right now and after this last year of college I'll be returning for a full time job. Wyoming is the shit, oh yeah the speed limits most places are 75, hammer down, most places are many miles in between but it takes no time when you average 80-85 mph...

sclwald 09-01-2007 09:16 PM

Wyoming sucks and is the worst place in the world to live. Riding sucks and no jobs to be had. Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!

JK! I love living here, growing up here, and everything about Wyoming. I just like it to stay unpopulated and natural is all. I grew up in Western WYO and it as great riding and great hunting. I now live in South Eastern WYO and it is good riding and hunting. Then there is Northern WYO which has good riding and hunting.

Any ?'s. Wyoming is great all around. Jobs come and go in Wyoming so be prepared to move or work out of town

Dogmeat 11-17-2007 10:35 PM

I was born and raised in Casper, WY but I have lived all over southeastern WY ...

The best jobs in this state are far and away in the energy industry right now, be it the oil and gas industry or mining industry...

I guess I'm biased towards the oil and gas industry ;)

It's hard work, but it pays better and generally speaking you'll meet a lot of guys that like to sled and what not out there, at least I sure have ... almost all my riding buddies now are all people I work with out there.

As far as towns in WY, obviously if you live in Sheridan (Big Horns), Cody (Big Horns, Cooke City MT), Laramie (Snowies), or a town closer to the bigger mountains there will be better riding, but it's also been my expenience it's a lot harder to find a good paying job in those towns as most of them have tourist-based economies.....IE, if you're just looking for a job you aren't gonna find a hell of a lot...

Personally, I think Casper has the best variety of everything has to offer, albeit far from the best of everything Wyoming has to offer...

The reason I say this is, there are several large lakes within an hours drive of Casper for boating and whatnot (at least whats left of them in the current drought), you can snowmobile on Casper Mountain ....given, it's small, residential, and the snow doesn't get very deep, but it's also only 15 minute drive from town, so it's cool to head up for a quick night ride after work, and you can use it to tune your sled for the big stuff there pretty easily ... As far as cities go, I'd rather live in Casper than any other city in wyoming, there is FAR more here as far as stuff like that goes than any other place in the state ... the baseball complex, the soccer complex, the events center, the mall, all that stuff..

And, if you can't find a decent paying oilfield job in Casper right now you either can't pass a drug test or are lazier than all hell .... Only problem with Casper right now is housing is pretty expensive ...

Other good thing about casper is, it's centrally located in the state so some of the best riding areas in the state (Big Horns, Snowies) are less than 3 hours away, so it's a real easy weekend trip down to ride.

I dunno, I'd say casper offers the best balance, with the nod on that being being able to find a good paying job ... You might be able to find a good job out there in Pinedale (well of course you can, duh) but who the hell wants to live in Pinedale? hahahah ;)

if I can help ya with any more info or opinions lemme know :)

Woof 11-23-2007 11:12 PM

We work hard, play hard. Tons of money around here, cost of living is high unless you already bought your house before this boom. Pinedale is where you want to be if you are a mountain rider period.

NOTW 11-24-2007 01:36 AM

I grew up in Gillette. Moved to Alaska a couple of years ago for 1 winter of sledding. Still here, a 7 month riding season is pretty hard to beat. Gillette is a great place to work. If you don't like your job quit and you will find a new one by lunch time. If you have a brain and no drug problems you can go far in almost any job in very little time. But be careful, don't bounce around too much. Find a good employer and stick with them. When the boom goes bust the good ones will still be around. On the downside Gillette can spoil you. When you leave you'd swear the rest of the U.S. is poverty stricken when you see what they pay in other states. Yes even AK, don't believe everything you hear. Enjoy WY! I don't miss the wind, but I sure miss the lack of people.

Phoenix 12-28-2007 06:12 PM

Are there many local truck driving jobs in WY?

zrt improved 01-03-2008 04:57 PM

am also looking to come out there to work on the pipelines, which is what i do in michigan,but only 40 hrs a week.have two buddys[union welders] that just came back from out there,wyoming/south dakota and they made as much $ in 6-8 months that i made in 12!i know our winters can be a bitch but heard the wind out there i always blowing and strong!anyway can't wait to get out there as both of them said it's awesome scenery!!!!!