Snowy Range, Centennial, and Albany - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Wyoming This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
sclwald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 516
Default

I have received multiple pm's about the condition of the areas surrounding the Laramie, WY area. If you need additional info on the area feel free to PM me, I don't mind. I just thought I would make a post about it for general info.

I have not been up to the range since elk season. At that time, October 15-21st, the highway department closed down Hwy 230 for seasonal closure. The snow amount was about 18". I talked to others that have said it now holds about 2-3ft. I personally would not travel long distances just yet as you will be disappointed and tempted to go off trail and will damage your sled. This area has many large rocks and stumps that definitely need time to be covered up. The smart sledders usually wait until Thanksgiving weekend to even attempt taking their sleds up there. If I were to travel long distances I would wait until aftr christmas.

If there is any posts on this topic wishing for me to continue updates on the area I will do so periodically.
sclwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 29
Default

I was thinking about going up there next weekend, whats the report as of the 7th of November?
SKIDOOMAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
driveumhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,395
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Age: 50
Riding Since: 5
Default

Quote:
I have received multiple pm's about the condition of the areas surrounding the Laramie, WY area. If you need additional info on the area feel free to PM me, I don't mind. I just thought I would make a post about it for general info.

I have not been up to the range since elk season. At that time, October 15-21st, the highway department closed down Hwy 230 for seasonal closure. The snow amount was about 18". I talked to others that have said it now holds about 2-3ft. I personally would not travel long distances just yet as you will be disappointed and tempted to go off trail and will damage your sled. This area has many large rocks and stumps that definitely need time to be covered up. The smart sledders usually wait until Thanksgiving weekend to even attempt taking their sleds up there. If I were to travel long distances I would wait until aftr christmas.

If there is any posts on this topic wishing for me to continue updates on the area I will do so periodically.[/b]

Thank you for any update period! I PM'd you last week about heading to Albany next week. I see "The Range" has snow forecasted for this weekend. I think we will make the call next Mon or Tues if we are leaving. Please give an update if you hear any reports, good or bad.
Thank you very much!
Jeff
__________________
Sledless- Living in Florida
driveumhard is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 11-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
sclwald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 516
Default

No reports as of yet. I am going to take a ride up this weekend.

STAY TUNED! Here is the weeks forcast

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick....5&map.y=129
sclwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
driveumhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,395
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Age: 50
Riding Since: 5
Default

Quote:
No reports as of yet. I am going to take a ride up this weekend.

STAY TUNED! Here is the weeks forcast

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick....5&map.y=129[/b]
Looks promising. Thanks for your help!
__________________
Sledless- Living in Florida
driveumhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,245
Current Sled(s): 14' XF 800 LTD 10' Z1 Turbo
Previous Sled(s): 09' F1000- 07' F8- 04'F7
Location: Central Iowa
Favorite Riding Area: Lake Namakagon-U.P.
Age: 33
Riding Since: 1985
Default

Forecast looks good. Excited to here your report Monday. Your help is appreciated.
nickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
sclwald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 516
Default

Update 11/11/06

Well took the sleds out today up to Centennial (Snowy Range) We completed 10 miserable miles. The snow is minimal. There are many open places that you need to cross that are completely bare due to high winds. The trails otherwise were not to bad. It was just getting across the bare spots. The highway was even bare in many spots even though the plowing has stopped. I don't know about you but I don't want to ride two $10K sleds in the dirt and over rocks for extended periods of time.

I talked to the local shop guys and they have ridden over the top and said it isn't so bad over there. Making a decision to get there is the problem.

As far as an Albany Lodge report: Looking over that way there is no snow to be seen. Because of the trees it may not be bad up top. My dad rode his motorcycle with some guys over there last weekend to have breakfast and his report was pretty bad. He said that the parking lot was completely bare and dry. He said there were trailers and sleds there but with no snow in site they still rode up the rode. So don't know what is up there.

I will give another update when I try for myself again or hear of another report from someone else. The forcast is promising though. Tonight and tomorrow is supposed to snow up to a foot up there.

STAY TUNED
sclwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 433
Location: grand forks
Default

i was wondering what places are there to stay in the snowies. about a group of 8 coming from nd in the beginning of january. we would like to stay along the trail and not have to trailer to where we would ride.
thanks
F7arcticcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
sclwald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 516
Default

Quote:
i was wondering what places are there to stay in the snowies. about a group of 8 coming from nd in the beginning of january. we would like to stay along the trail and not have to trailer to where we would ride.
thanks[/b]
Look into Snowy Mountain Lodge, Mountain Meadows Cabins, Albany Lodge. You may be a little late as they book fast and early but it would be worth a shot. A lot of people stay in Laramie when they are booked because of the vast motels. 30 mile pull one way.
sclwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1
Default

well im new to the hcs forums but have been on the snowest forums for 6 years anyways ill be up turkey day weekend hopefully the snow will be good it might just be a make sure your sled runs good trip.
mtnmax700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:32 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.