planning on heading to towagotee Feb 22 need advice!! - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Wyoming This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2018, 02:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 15 XF 9000 TURBO /16 XF6000/F6/ZR600/PANTERA
Previous Sled(s): OPEN MOD 660/ 975 /500
Favorite Riding Area: Bear Lake / Munising/Wawa
18-19 Mileage 2400
15-16 Mileage: 2500
Riding Since: 1971
Smile planning on heading to towagotee Feb 22 need advice!!

Taking my 80 year old dad out to ride.. he has always wanted to ride there and he is getting older.
question:
1) can we ride in Yellowstone on our own sleds?
2) What permits to we need
3) we have a 2015 xf100 turbo & a 2016 xf6000 both efi , do we need to do any modifications to clutch or ecu's ..
thanks for any help!!
waiting4snow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2018, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 16 SB Pro S 8, 03 pro x 700
Previous Sled(s): 12 Pro RMK 8,05 SB 8,00XC SP 6.
Riding Since: 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4snow1 View Post
Taking my 80 year old dad out to ride.. he has always wanted to ride there and he is getting older.
question:
1) can we ride in Yellowstone on our own sleds?
2) What permits to we need
3) we have a 2015 xf100 turbo & a 2016 xf6000 both efi , do we need to do any modifications to clutch or ecu's ..
thanks for any help!!
Iíll try and help:

1) I donít think so, I donít even think you can ride in the park un-guided on a rental, but things may have changed since I was there.

2) Wyoming and Montana trailer permits if you ride in there state, if you ride in Wyoming and buy a permit, donate the extra buck for search & rescue, it maybe you that they help, you never know!

3) Iím sure you will have to do some clutch changes.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 16 Gade 1200, 17 Enduro Gade 900 ACE
Previous Sled(s): Many
Favorite Riding Area: N Wisc, W. U.P.
18-19 Mileage 1813 miles
17-18 Mileage: 1929 miles
16-17 Mileage: 2325
15-16 Mileage: 2151 mi
Riding Since: 1972

Why not ask the "horses's mouth"?
SnoKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 ZR 800 RR and a 18 mtn cat on the way
Previous Sled(s): 13m8 13&12 XF HC, 4 X-fires, F7, 4 poos
Favorite Riding Area: On top of snow
Riding Since: 1988

Quote:
question:
1) can we ride in Yellowstone on our own sleds? NO! - The tree huggers wrecked that about 12 years ago. punch the next one you see in the mouth.
2) What permits to we need ONLY WYOMING PERMIT - $25
3) we have a 2015 xf100 turbo & a 2016 xf6000 both efi , do we need to do any modifications to clutch or ecu's .. The turbo is fine. The 600 will for sure need lighter clutch weights. If you're riding on trails the whole time, I wouldn't do any more than that. If you are going to ride off-trail you might need a different helix in the secondary. If you're going to only ride trails and you don't necessarily have your heart set on Togwotee... I would go to West Yellowstone or Island Park Idaho instead Lots more places to go.
thanks for any help!!
Have fun

Last edited by sled208; 01-09-2018 at 12:08 PM.
sled208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 16 SB Pro S 8, 03 pro x 700
Previous Sled(s): 12 Pro RMK 8,05 SB 8,00XC SP 6.
Riding Since: 1964

Montana permit info

Montana State Parks :: snowmobile program

If you go into Idaho you will need a permit also.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 15 XF 9000 TURBO /16 XF6000/F6/ZR600/PANTERA
Previous Sled(s): OPEN MOD 660/ 975 /500
Favorite Riding Area: Bear Lake / Munising/Wawa
18-19 Mileage 2400
15-16 Mileage: 2500
Riding Since: 1971

Thanks Guys.
I have called several places in WY mostley AC dealers and they wern't much help since they want you to rent...Im doing this because it always been a dream of my dads to just ride out west. I'll lookinto the wieghts on the 600 Thanks for the help
waiting4snow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 16 Gade 1200, 17 Enduro Gade 900 ACE
Previous Sled(s): Many
Favorite Riding Area: N Wisc, W. U.P.
18-19 Mileage 1813 miles
17-18 Mileage: 1929 miles
16-17 Mileage: 2325
15-16 Mileage: 2151 mi
Riding Since: 1972

I've made 4 trips to Yellowstone starting in 1982 through 2002. All were with our carbed Polaris 2 strokes. We rejetted and changed weights and springs in our primaries only. Todays efi don't require fuel changes. If you can fid premium fuel out there use it. But clutching will be necessary if you are running 600rds or less. Only permit I remember was one for the park. WE rode Mont, ID and Wy.

Went on a Decker tour to Togotee Mountain Lodge when Dave Helgeson from MN still owned it. That included everything even sleds.

I just looked at the Jackson WY DNR site under permits and they don't list snowmobiles.

At the South Gate of Yellowstone is/was Flagg Ranch and there was parking for vehicles and trailers there. We were there in April for the SnowKing Mt Hill climb. That was the first year they ever had any sled clear the top amd it was done 6 times.
SnoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 ZR 800 RR and a 18 mtn cat on the way
Previous Sled(s): 13m8 13&12 XF HC, 4 X-fires, F7, 4 poos
Favorite Riding Area: On top of snow
Riding Since: 1988

Quote:
Thanks Guys.
I have called several places in WY mostley AC dealers and they wern't much help since they want you to rent...Im doing this because it always been a dream of my dads to just ride out west. I'll lookinto the wieghts on the 600 Thanks for the help
I'm guessing they sell a "high elevation kit" that includes these things but:
Looks like you need the primary spring as well 0646-877 for 5,000'+
Looks like you need these cam arms:
0646-872 (72 grams)
They also recommend a new helix for the secondary
0648-871 Cam, Driven | Over 5,000 ft Alt
And a spring for the secondary 0648-859

What type of riding are you planning on doing while you are out there? Are you just going to buzz up and down the trails or are you going to do a little exploring off-trail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoKing View Post
I've made 4 trips to Yellowstone starting in 1982 through 2002. All were with our carbed Polaris 2 strokes. We rejetted and changed weights and springs in our primaries only. Todays efi don't require fuel changes. If you can fid premium fuel out there use it. But clutching will be necessary if you are running 600rds or less. Only permit I remember was one for the park. WE rode Mont, ID and Wy.

Went on a Decker tour to Togotee Mountain Lodge when Dave Helgeson from MN still owned it. That included everything even sleds.

I just looked at the Jackson WY DNR site under permits and they don't list snowmobiles.

At the South Gate of Yellowstone is/was Flagg Ranch and there was parking for vehicles and trailers there. We were there in April for the SnowKing Mt Hill climb. That was the first year they ever had any sled clear the top amd it was done 6 times.
Every single one of those states now have a permit you have to purchase. They are getting more and more aggressive and checking to make sure the flat-landers are buying them too.
On the underlined.. you can actually get by with less octane at elevation than you can here in the plains.
sled208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): NA
Previous Sled(s): T cat's, zrt's ZR's, xf 7000, wildcat and a bunch of others
Favorite Riding Area: Pinedale WY
18-19 Mileage 450
17-18 Mileage: 1100
16-17 Mileage: 750
15-16 Mileage: 100
Riding Since: 1977

yellowstone park a guide is NEEDED as is using one of there sleds, you will NOT be able to use any of your sleds to go in the park
outside of it yes
but not in the park
and once in the park with a GUIDE< you will be forced to follow STRICTLY enforced speed limits
have even known guides to get tickets
speed limit MAX is 35 mph or was last time I checked on things
and the park is a great thing to do even if you have to ride a rental and pay
its a memory you will have forever!
so worth the costs IMO

and yes you will need permits to ride your sleds in what ever state you wish to ride, and possibly AREA, as some area's I will bet are possibly a clubs main area and they seek to be comped for there work\
normally its not much and hey your having fun there, a few extra bucks that goes to a good cause(keeping our sport going)
is also money well spent IMO!

next INFO I will pass on is DRINK LOTS OF WATER, if your a flat lander and going up in elevation, its easy for many to get elevation sick, its a topic many just skip past and don't realize
getting there a day early to acclimate yourself is never a BAD idea, before jumping on a sled and going higher
if anyone starts to feel sick, GO back to lodge and take it easy
all the more so if your Dad or other older folks do
as it can suck the energy out of them and could even KILL in a bad case of things!

everyone handles altitude differently!
so heads up
lots of water seems to help most
but its not a fix all
maybe read up a little on this before going too, better to know and not need than need and not know?
BucK Fart likes this.
mrbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): NA
Previous Sled(s): T cat's, zrt's ZR's, xf 7000, wildcat and a bunch of others
Favorite Riding Area: Pinedale WY
18-19 Mileage 450
17-18 Mileage: 1100
16-17 Mileage: 750
15-16 Mileage: 100
Riding Since: 1977

hey forgot to ask
but what size tracks and paddles do you have
a HUGE reason to ask is this, if there NOT at least 2 inches and you get off trail much at all, your ALL going to be spending a lot of time digging sleds out
trails out that way(Tog, and south of there towards Pinedale )
are WAY under estimated for trail riding, they are normally SUPER smooth and WIDE open trails, as SO few folks go out to trial ride
if all you's plan to do is trail ride DON"T worry on deep paddle tracks
but if your goals are to off trail
Honestly, renting a sled a day or two to do so will also be money well spent, as will be a guide
he will save you from a LOT of things you will get into without one, help you get UN stuck(you WIL< get stuck on ANY sled )
thin air, flat lander lungs and that guide will be PRICELESS as will a REAL MT sled

LOTS of places near Yellowstone will RENT you MT sleds and you can take them where ever, lots offer great deals too, from a free tank of fuel each day and great rates
so before you get die hard set on using your sleds
you MIGHT want to look at just renting
or use your sleds to trails and again, rent real off trail sleds, so your trip is more fun than work!
mrbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement