West Yellowstone trip - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Montana This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): 2013 skidoo freeride 137
Previous Sled(s): 2007 skidoo mxz x
Favorite Riding Area: northern maine
Riding Since: 93
Default West Yellowstone trip

A few friends and I are headed to west Yellowstone in January, just wondering if anyone had suggestions on good spots to ride.
Thanks
FREERIDE3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Cat T660-Tutbo 4-Stroke
Previous Sled(s): '95 Indy 500, M-10 suspension
Favorite Riding Area: Togwotee,WY
Riding Since: 1972
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREERIDE3189 View Post
A few friends and I are headed to west Yellowstone in January, just wondering if anyone had suggestions on good spots to ride.
Thanks
OK here's my $1.98, thats $0.02 with inflation
I'm in north central Minnesota, but I have ridden in W. Yl'stone area several times, since 1994.

West Yellowstone is sled friendly, and you can ride most (not all) streets to get to riding areas. Even run to the liquor store or tavern on sled.

Most riding is SW of town, west toward Island Park, Idaho, or North toward Big Sky Montana.

The scenery anywhere in the area is stunning. Cameras, and/or "Go-Pro's" recommended.

Also the west gate to Yellowstone Nat'l Park is right in town.
Although its a hassle , I would recommend doing the guided 'park' tour. You would have to use the 4-stroke sleds provided by the tour company(s) , but the thermal areas and Old Faithful in winter are beautiful beyond description.

Also, for just general riding, I assume you will rent sleds, it would be worth the cost to hire a guilde for at least one day.
Since the riding area is so huge, a guide can show you the best areas for the kind of riding you desire.

Deep, climbing, boondocking,trails, etc. The trail system there is extensive, and easy to get to play areas. They groom daily on feeder trails to town.

I would recommend you contact Kurt Marsden at the Golden West Motel in W. Yl'stone.
I have stayed there several times, and Kurt and Michelle are great hosts. its a Mom&Pop operation,but the rooms are clean, but low frills. Park sleds at your door.
He also has a heated shop for any sled maintenance. Tell him "Snowizard", Roger (thats me) recommended hiim.
Even if you stay somewhere else, he will be happy to help.
Golden West Motel - West Yellowstone, Montana

I will attempt to attach '09 Yellowstone Park pics. Not many, since it was 25 below zero, but worth the scenery.

Hope this helps your planning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Togwotee WY 09 snowmobile trip 014.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	745305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Togwotee WY 09 snowmobile trip 032.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	745313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Togwotee WY 09 snowmobile trip 013.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	745321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Togwotee WY 09 snowmobile trip 015.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	745329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Togwotee WY 09 snowmobile trip 023.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	745337  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minnesota Flats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): 2013 skidoo freeride 137
Previous Sled(s): 2007 skidoo mxz x
Favorite Riding Area: northern maine
Riding Since: 93

My friends and I are trailering out! I appreciate the feedback and the $.02 inflation...haha. Pics are awesome! Maybe I'll see you out there.
Pray for snow
FREERIDE3189 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Cat T660-Tutbo 4-Stroke
Previous Sled(s): '95 Indy 500, M-10 suspension
Favorite Riding Area: Togwotee,WY
Riding Since: 1972

Quote:
My friends and I are trailering out! I appreciate the feedback and the $.02 inflation...haha. Pics are awesome! Maybe I'll see you out there.
Pray for snow
Wow, long trailer pull.
I would still recommend hiring a guide at least for 1-day, to get the best experience, and get aquainted with the area.

Google search "West Yellowstone Snowmobiling" you will find tons of info.

I'd like to go again, but health issues complicate things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minnesota Flats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 ZR 800 RR and a 18 mtn cat on the way
Previous Sled(s): 13m8 13&12 XF HC, 4 X-fires, F7, 4 poos
Favorite Riding Area: On top of snow
Riding Since: 1988

Quote:
Pray for snow
WOW!!!! Looooooooong haul!!!!! I've been to West Yellowstone 4 times now and never went through the park. It kills a day and I'd have to rent. I couldn't even tell you where and go with any accuracy to be any good to you. Gotta go to lions head for a day, we also typically go straight south of town about 20 miles and ride in a area that has been burnt from a wildfire, andshotgun valley is where the most climbing areas are.
sled208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 ZR 800 RR and a 18 mtn cat on the way
Previous Sled(s): 13m8 13&12 XF HC, 4 X-fires, F7, 4 poos
Favorite Riding Area: On top of snow
Riding Since: 1988

Oh yeah, make damn sure you don't cross into Yellowstone national park or any wilderness area. The forest rangers will cost ya a shitton of money
sled208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

All areas are awesome to ride in. Lion's Head is a must. The Gallatin Forest is excellent. Pick a different direction each day and follow your instincts. Find a little spot right off the trail and explore to your hearts content
malleryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

A group of us from northern alberta want to head down also. We are bringing an assortment of sleds mainly two stroke, so no park riding for us. We will have some younger riders in the group with above average riding skills. What is required for lead time to book a guide and rooms for an early march trip. What is the best source for maps. We are avid gps users. Gunna be aprox 15 riders.
six buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement