HCS Snowmobile Forums

HCS Snowmobile Forums (https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/)
-   Montana (https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/293-montana/)
-   -   Yellowstone (https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/293-montana/298355-yellowstone.html)

DodgeV10 01-21-2008 04:50 PM

I was planning on making a trip up to Yellowstone next year. Are there any restrictions for riding up there? I seen they had tours but they were $850 a person, that's my whole pay check!
Thanks.

shempsledder 01-22-2008 12:41 AM

Quote:

I was planning on making a trip up to Yellowstone next year. Are there any restrictions for riding up there? I seen they had tours but they were $850 a person, that's my whole pay check!
Thanks.[/b]

You will need to rent a sled and go with a guide into the park but you can ride on the West Yellowstone/Idaho trails without a guide and with permits for both states. Are you trailering or renting when you get there?

FYI....

We took the tour and we paid around 300.00 for the tour and the insurance for the sleds. The 850.00 maybe a package for a room and a sled for WEST Yellowstone?


Not sure where you got that info?

:ermm:

PM me if you like....

DodgeV10 01-22-2008 01:21 AM

The quote I got was for a 2 day trip. It included a snowmobile, gear, food, and a room for 1 night.
When I go I would like to bring my own sled, so I would be trailering. What are the West Yellowstone/Idaho trails like? Any idea of how many miles of trails there are?
Thanks.

shempsledder 01-22-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

The quote I got was for a 2 day trip. It included a snowmobile, gear, food, and a room for 1 night.
When I go I would like to bring my own sled, so I would be trailering. What are the West Yellowstone/Idaho trails like? Any idea of how many miles of trails there are?
Thanks.[/b]

Over 850 miles of trailson the West Yellowstone system.

Check your carbs. for 6600 ft. to 9000 ft.

You can go with a tour through the park if you like. You are not allowed into Yellowstone Natl. Park alone. You have to go with a guide and a four stroke non-turbo sled so you have to rent it. There are a lot of places to rent if you change your mind and decide you want to go once you get there. It's a great trip to go if you have the extra time and cash. You cover about 100 miles and it's an all day ride.

If you want to go and ride W. Yellowstone, the trail permits are 25.00 for Montana and 15.00 for Idaho ( I think)

Also check the Chamber site. Lots of good info. here..

http://www.westyellowstonechamber.com/web-cam/



Check my post under the Indiana forums....

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...howtopic=295552

This was our 2nd trip.

Let me know if you need more info..

DodgeV10 01-22-2008 12:44 PM

Thanks for the info. Those were some awesome pics you took of your trip. Are the tours worth it? They don't just putt you around at 25mph do they?
850 miles is a lot of trails! Out here in Washington state we have a trail system by Mt. Adams and Saint Hellens that have 100 miles of groomed trails. It doesn't take long to cover all those trails though.

shempsledder 01-22-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Those were some awesome pics you took of your trip. Are the tours worth it? They don't just putt you around at 25mph do they?
850 miles is a lot of trails! Out here in Washington state we have a trail system by Mt. Adams and Saint Hellens that have 100 miles of groomed trails. It doesn't take long to cover all those trails though.[/b]

Thanks, yea it was a greeat trip!...."Is it worth it?" Well that depends what you want to do out there. If you want to go sightseeing and animal watching, then yes it is. If you're thinking you're going to just blaze around the park then the answer is no. When we went on the tour, we covered about 130 miles and ran around 60 mph on our two up sled (right behind our guide) and we stayed on the road which they groom every day.
Also, you don't know ahead of time what your group will be made of, they try to pair you up with people of like interests but that may not always happen. We were paired up with a family of 4. The reason we went 60 is because our guide wanted to show us as much as possible in the amount of time we had and we were delayed about 20 min. at one point due to buffalo traffic on the trails. I suggest if you go, dress in the best warm gear you got! The air temp was about -4 F.

Hope that helps!

Does Washington have a lot of back country riding?

BTW...The pics were of WEST Yellowstone and not the park (yellowstone), just to make sure you knew what pics I took.

DodgeV10 01-22-2008 02:19 PM

Washington has tons of back country riding. I've gone up Mt. Saint Hellens. I couldn't make it to the crater with the snowmobile I have, but there were people getting to the top. You can ride on one side of the mountain. The other side is off limits due to the eruption in the 80's.
There are a bunch of other trails around that are not groomed which are fun, unless there is too much snow for what we ride. Tons of hill climbing.
Yellowstone sounds fun. I'm hoping next year I can go do some of the trails that you went on then maybe do the tour through the park. I was in Yellowstone a few years ago I bet it would be awesome in the winter. -4F is cold! The lowest temp I've rode in so far is 16F.

shempsledder 01-22-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Washington has tons of back country riding. I've gone up Mt. Saint Hellens. I couldn't make it to the crater with the snowmobile I have, but there were people getting to the top. You can ride on one side of the mountain. The other side is off limits due to the eruption in the 80's.
There are a bunch of other trails around that are not groomed which are fun, unless there is too much snow for what we ride. Tons of hill climbing.
Yellowstone sounds fun. I'm hoping next year I can go do some of the trails that you went on then maybe do the tour through the park. I was in Yellowstone a few years ago I bet it would be awesome in the winter. -4F is cold! The lowest temp I've rode in so far is 16F.[/b]

Washington sounds great! Someday when I get a long track, I may run up that way!!

I've only been in Yellowstone in the winter and we hope to go back sometime and check it out in the summer.

I did dig up our last years trip out there. Here is the link. You'll be able to see both West Yellowstone trail rides and the park and Old faithfull spouting off in the cold.


https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...;hl=yellowstone

Take care!

ZLZEBUB 01-22-2008 03:29 PM

go here instead.....cheap....nice.....no need for guide......forget the park.......just go around the outside to see the same thing, but by yerself......no night riding allowed in park anymore

http://www.lolohotsprings.com/


DodgeV10 01-22-2008 04:53 PM

I would love to have a long track also. I would be able to go to so many more places. Old faithful looks cool in the winter, I bet that steam freezes real quick. Were there a bunch of sink holes where the hot springs melted the snow? I couldn't imagine riding a snowmobile that close to a Buffalo.
Here is a link to a few pics I took while up at St. Hellens.
https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...howtopic=268363


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.