S.N.O.W.FEST 7 - Sat. Dec 14 - Lake Mille Lacs - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Minnesota This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2019, 11:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): r and a hacked togeather Snopro
Previous Sled(s): Xf700, F7sp, F5, ZLs,Zrs, Ext, Jags, el tigre
Favorite Riding Area: Back home In the Yoop
Riding Since: 1988

Is this worth going to without a sled?
Greg B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2019, 11:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 Ski Doo GSX SE 600 etec
Previous Sled(s): Cats, Polaris, and Ski Doo
Favorite Riding Area: Hayward WI area, Up North
Riding Since: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Enjoy it

Res top is some of the best riding the state has. Take the mcalpin loop out of isle
That is THE way to go but going that way and coming into Red Top from the south side means you cross those big swamps. I wonder how they will be. If this cold will get them in shape by Saturday to ride. Don't think they will be good enough for the groomers to travel on for a while. They will be good enough for a sled but probably rough.
Drift19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 06 crossfire 7
Previous Sled(s): 96 ZRT600, 02 ZRT600
Favorite Riding Area: minnesota
Riding Since: 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift19 View Post
That is THE way to go but going that way and coming into Red Top from the south side means you cross those big swamps. I wonder how they will be. If this cold will get them in shape by Saturday to ride. Don't think they will be good enough for the groomers to travel on for a while. They will be good enough for a sled but probably rough.
You are correct, those swamps can be a bugger. I haven't been across that yet but as much as they have rolled them you might be surprised how smooth that can make it.
600Triple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
Is this worth going to without a sled?
Depends on if you like having a couple cold ones, watching snowmobile videos and hanging out with other sledheads
paterman likes this.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Triple View Post
You are correct, those swamps can be a bugger. I haven't been across that yet but as much as they have rolled them you might be surprised how smooth that can make it.
I have been across them when they were like a superhighway. Moderately ok but watch for the couple small streams that haven't filled in that will make for an unpleasant surprise if you don't know they are there. And been across them when you could barely go five miles an hour and you gritted your teeth at every bump as there was hardly enough snow. I would hazard a guess that there is plenty of snow and crossing should be fine. Just not groomed and in the superhighway category. I am fairly certain I am going up so we will see what we will see.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2700 View Post
Three of us Headed that way Saturday morning.
Nice day for a shakedown ride.
Anyone looking to ride welcome to tag along!
New area for me!!
Anyone else thinking of going up to ride there Saturday? Best place to park is the Drift Skippers parking lot in Isle. Lots of parking and the Sioux Line runs across the end of the parking lot. Five miles back to Wahkon. Gas in both directions. Restaurant within walking distance of the parking lot.
x2700, Fun11cat and potatodigger1 like this.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I have been across them when they were like a superhighway. Moderately ok but watch for the couple small streams that haven't filled in that will make for an unpleasant surprise if you don't know they are there. And been across them when you could barely go five miles an hour and you gritted your teeth at every bump as there was hardly enough snow. I would hazard a guess that there is plenty of snow and crossing should be fine. Just not groomed and in the superhighway category. I am fairly certain I am going up so we will see what we will see.
Yep, definitely have to watch those flowages within a mile east of munkelwitz road. A couple years ago we actually slightly adjusted the trail there to go across in a narrower spot.
Fun11cat likes this.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

What is the dirt road that runs across that one wide open stretch? Can't really see it is a dirt road until you are almost up to it. Gentle rise to the road and wide and flat on either side. I jumped that at about sixty one day. Wasn't intending to. That was a Yahooooooo moment.

X2700. If you guys are coming up what time are you planning on getting there and where are you parking. I will tag along. I have color maps for everyone of the area. Could go over to Solona also. Anyone else coming?

Last edited by Drift19; 12-12-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 XRS 800
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1050

I was up there last weekend and rode. It was a blast and felt like end of the season riding. Had to cross a number of creeks, wide open areas of water, etc. Sleds came back muddy. But it was a great 100 miles for my Bday weekend!
JHELREY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 15 600 adv/13 pro r retro 600 s/b
Favorite Riding Area: SE MN.NSST
19-20 Mileage: 2000
18-19 Mileage: 2700
Riding Since: 1978

Quote:
What is the dirt road that runs across that one wide open stretch? Can't really see it is a dirt road until you are almost up to it. Gentle rise to the road and wide and flat on either side. I jumped that at about sixty one day. Wasn't intending to. That was a Yahooooooo moment.

X2700. If you guys are coming up what time are you planning on getting there and where are you parking. I will tag along. I have color maps for everyone of the area. Could go over to Solona also. Anyone else coming?
Our plan is to be at the parking lot in isle at 9:00am? I believe its the lot you are talking about?
See you there!!
x2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement