Gun rights for intruders in your home - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Minnesota This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2019, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 8000 high country, SnoPro 500, zr900
Previous Sled(s): many cats
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MN
Default Gun rights for intruders in your home

I renewed my conceal carry today and the first time I went through the instructors were very clear that if an intruder is inside your home, that you can shoot them whether they are threatening you or even know you're there.
Today used a different instructor and he said the opposite. He said that unless they are directly threatening your life, you cannot shoot and that you also have an obligation to not engage with them or confront them if at all possible. Like if you hear glass window break in your house and you are the only person home, you are supposed to not go confront the situation? He basically said you're supposed to call the cops and hide.
I questioned him on this because I think that is wrong and he cited some statute, I still need to look that up but wanted to see if anyone here knows for sure. I'm pretty sure what he said is wrong because that's essentially what you're supposed to do when out in public is avoid issues at all costs but I've always known to be true if someone comes in your house that shouldn't be there, it's pretty much no questions asked and that's what they said at my last CCW class.
mnstang is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): O.M. 1000, 700 Heavy Mod, 700 IS XCR 1253, XC1214, P.S.700
Favorite Riding Area: N.W. Wisconsin
Riding Since: 1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnstang View Post
I renewed my conceal carry today and the first time I went through the instructors were very clear that if an intruder is inside your home, that you can shoot them whether they are threatening you or even know you're there.
Today used a different instructor and he said the opposite. He said that unless they are directly threatening your life, you cannot shoot and that you also have an obligation to not engage with them or confront them if at all possible. Like if you hear glass window break in your house and you are the only person home, you are supposed to not go confront the situation? He basically said you're supposed to call the cops and hide.
I questioned him on this because I think that is wrong and he cited some statute, I still need to look that up but wanted to see if anyone here knows for sure. I'm pretty sure what he said is wrong because that's essentially what you're supposed to do when out in public is avoid issues at all costs but I've always known to be true if someone comes in your house that shouldn't be there, it's pretty much no questions asked and that's what they said at my last CCW class.
Look at your states DOJ web page
XCR1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2020 ZR 8000 LTD IACT - 14 XF7000 Ltd Org/Blk
Previous Sled(s): 10 F8 SP,05 F6,02 ZL 600SS, 99 ZL 600, 96 Pantera
Favorite Riding Area: Central MN
19-20 Mileage: 1
18-19 Mileage: 1170
17-18 Mileage: 1260
16-17 Mileage: 960
Riding Since: 1972

Got my CC last year and he is correct you can not shoot someone even when they are in your house unless you or someone in your family/friends are being threatened and it probably needs to be with a weapon.

What ever you don't shoot them in the back.

Our instructor also mentioned that if you pull the trigger and wound or kill someone that you will need at least $60,000 for your lawyers to keep you out of jail.

Last edited by Fun11cat; 11-02-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Fun11cat is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: WNY

Well you do live in a state that elected Omar..... Some states like PA have a Stand your ground law. But MN is "duty to retreat"
snowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): NA
Previous Sled(s): T cat's, zrt's ZR's, xf 7000, wildcat and a bunch of others
Favorite Riding Area: Pinedale WY
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 450
17-18 Mileage: 1100
16-17 Mileage: 750
Riding Since: 1977

instructors are NOT lawyers and many don't know the TRUE laws
many pass on BAD info, they THINK is right

if you wish to find right answers, talk to an attorney, and get legal advice
BUT heads up, doing this might also open the door to , someone claiming pre meditated mind set?
or some other dumb ass thing
every state has different rules
, many have the stand your ground laws in the books now that allow you to defend yourself and your property

But IMO< before you pull a trigger, you better be sure its needed
as all the anti gunners out there, and media will be playing things up to make you into the bad guy, sad but true, few shootings go smoothly for those involved, be it law enforcement or civilians!

many yrs back a Guy shot a robber that broke into his house and KILLED his wife, robber was LEAVING when husband came home and SHOT him
Husband ended up in jail due to the threat was "leaving" when he shot him?
and didn;t have to?
crazy sad, but true, , a tricky lawyer can spin things!

and firing warning shots DON"T help you either can actually be used against you,
so before firings, be sure NO other options are at hand is MY advice!
and DON"T say crap to anyone till your lawyer shows up!
Fun11cat likes this.
mrbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

If anyone shows up in my house uninvited like that with a knife or gun, and refuse's to leave...their sol. Heck a friend thats a cop once told me if you kill someone outside that was threatening you with a weapon, make sure to drag him inside before you report it.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 8000 high country, SnoPro 500, zr900
Previous Sled(s): many cats
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MN

What he cited was 609.065 which reads
Quote:
. 609.065 JUSTIFIABLE TAKING OF LIFE.
The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode
So if commiting a felony in your home, it is justifiable.
And I looked up first through third degree burglary which is a felony and that is at minimum entering a home without consent and intention to steal or commit felony or gross misdemeanor.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.065
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.582
mnstang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by too slow View Post
If anyone shows up in my house uninvited like that with a knife or gun, and refuse's to leave...their sol. Heck a friend thats a cop once told me if you kill someone outside that was threatening you with a weapon, make sure to drag him inside before you report it.
With today's forensics they would know you did that.
mrbb and vikingfan like this.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Public Relations Officer

Current Sled(s): 17 Cat SX
Previous Sled(s): Cat RR, Doo XRS
Favorite Riding Area: MN North Shore
Riding Since: 1974

LOL. Always make sure there isn't two sides of the story, don't tell yours until represented properly. Also, try to memorize this:

"Officer, I was afraid for my life...and I want a lawyer."

Or, dig a fucking hole in the backyard and make it all go away. This is now the best bet.
mrbb and JHELREY like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zambroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambroski View Post
LOL. Always make sure there isn't two sides of the story, don't tell yours until represented properly. Also, try to memorize this:

"Officer, I was afraid for my life...and I want a lawyer."

Or, dig a fucking hole in the backyard and make it all go away. This is now the best bet.
Bon-Fires might work too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement