Snowmobiler Found Dead ( WLUCTV6) - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Wisconsin This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Red face

He was reported missing Wednesday morning.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 at 7:51 p.m.

MARENISCO -- A missing snowmobiler was found dead Wednesday in Gogebic County.

The Marenisco Township Police Department responded to a call of a missing snowmobiler at 10:45 Wednesday morning. About 45 minutes later, officers discovered the crash site on trail number two about a mile and a half from Marenisco.

Scott Makela, 45, of Milwaukee was found dead at the scene. Police believe the accident happened sometime after 11:00 Tuesday night.

Police say speed appears to be a factor in the accident. The investigation continues.

Sad to hear about a loss around the holidays....
*LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2020 SkiDoo XRS
Previous Sled(s): 2016 ZR7000 Limited
Favorite Riding Area: Pickerel/Crandon
19-20 Mileage: 2857
18-19 Mileage: 2920
17-18 Mileage: 1800
16-17 Mileage: 1600
Riding Since: 12

Quote:
He was reported missing Wednesday morning.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 at 7:51 p.m.
MARENISCO -- A missing snowmobiler was found dead Wednesday in Gogebic County.

The Marenisco Township Police Department responded to a call of a missing snowmobiler at 10:45 Wednesday morning. About 45 minutes later, officers discovered the crash site on trail number two about a mile and a half from Marenisco.

Scott Makela, 45, of Milwaukee was found dead at the scene. Police believe the accident happened sometime after 11:00 Tuesday night.

Police say speed appears to be a factor in the accident. The investigation continues.
Sad to hear about a loss around the holidays....
[/b]
Really sad post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zrman53188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 RR 800 137"
Previous Sled(s): F8 EXT, Lots of Crossfires and ProCross
Favorite Riding Area: U.P.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: What?
17-18 Mileage: 3500

What happened with this one? Those trails are almost perfectly straight and they are wide. Hard to believe that no one saw him for that amount of time.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
What happened with this one? Those trails are almost perfectly straight and they are wide. Hard to believe that no one saw him for that amount of time.[/b]
My guess would be a deer or something made him veer off the trail. Thats where i almost whacked one this year.
I dont know about you guys, but when i am riding by myself i am always a bit more cautious cause i know no one is there to help me if something happens.
Riding alone is not a good idea though. I wonder if the two guys that died alone this year could have possibly been saved if they had someone else riding with them???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dardevil3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thumbs down

His friend posted on Dootalk... Sad... Heres what he wrote..

Great snowmobiler Dies on trail Tuesday Night!
Scott Mackela died on his sled in Marinesco, MI Tuesday night in the UP. Crashed and Broke His Neck!

Scott Was a great friend of mine and if anybody has ran into him on the trails in the UP you would remember him clearly.

He has a very harsh Upper accent and Loved snowmobiling. He has rode more miles than anyone I have ever met. He could leave in the morning and ride 400 miles in a day without a map or missing a turn , He knew where you had to stop to get fuel what time you had to be there, When to call to get reservations and when you could stroll into a Mom an Pop motel unannounced.

He grew up in Wakefeild and and has a cabin up ther just for enjoying the outdoors From Atving to Deer hunting to Logging to Snowmobiling He was either coming home to the UP or leaving to go back to the UP everytime I talked to Him.

He raced several years for Polaris back in the 70's and broke several record's!

He has owned and recently bought land in the Up that trail 2 through Wakefeild runs through and has had several discussions on how he would always want the trail to go through his property no matter what!!

I will miss him very much as a freind and a fellow snowmobiler. He has taught me more about snowmobiling and the culture of the UP Thank all my othe snowmobile contacts combined.

If you rode with him or sat and had a Bud with him remember him on the trails because of people like him is why the system is there still today. same as it was 40 + years ago.

Scott has a wife Nicole (from White Pine, MI) and a young son Dillan, And beautiful daughter Alissa.

An Older Brother Tim, and older sister, and His Father Carl. Scott's Mom Passed away several years ago, Whom he was very close too.

*****Visitation Will be held on Saturday Jan 3rd 9am - 11am with a service being held at

*****All Saint Church in Wakefeild , MI

Good bye to a great friend!!! Rodney
*LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 RR 800 137"
Previous Sled(s): F8 EXT, Lots of Crossfires and ProCross
Favorite Riding Area: U.P.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: What?
17-18 Mileage: 3500

Thanks for posting this Lawdog.

Sad loss to the family. Sad loss to sledders.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 06 Xfire 700
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1
16-17 Mileage: 50
Riding Since: 1997

RIP brother.....sounds like the kind of guy you wished you had a chance to meet.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Apex LTX GT
Previous Sled(s): Attak, Apex ER, ZR900, XCSP 700, & an XLT.
Favorite Riding Area: Da UP!
Riding Since: 1976

RIP Scott!

It's always hard to speculate without knowing more, but we rode that trail the following morning. It had more icy corners than most trails in the area.
xcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement