Any Turtle Flambeau Flowage Experts? - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Wisconsin This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thanks Cheif! we normally ride all over vilas and east portion of iron then the up. Have been riding out of presque isle for years. looking to base further west and ditch the crowded areas. Except we have No interest in hurley really. North end of the flowage there seemed like a good spot to base out of?
kerpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Meat Man

Current Sled(s): MY19 850 Doo mXz TnT
Previous Sled(s): Black MY15 ProS 800 SB ANV
Favorite Riding Area: Summit Lake WI
Riding Since: 1776

I have thirty+ years of experience on the Flowage take my advice when out there keep your eyes moving from left to right side to side stay aware. I was there a few years ago when a gal got killed she got tunnel vision and ran an intersection on the Flowage.

If you must race, check the lake first run it down making sure all obstructions are clear then race back. When the race is done stay in your lane and come to a stop with your breaks flashing and hand in the air do not turn left or right till the other racers catch up and are beside you an at a complete stop next to you.

31 years ago we lost a boy from town on the flowage he thought the race was over and turned into his oncoming friends and got T-boned.

The T flowage is one of the most beautiful spots in Wisconsin IMO take time to enjoy the scenery.

Dec 2019
DTR just published the dyno test results for the 850 Skidoo and the 800 Cat.

168.4 @ 8050 Doo
155.3 @ 7900 Cat

Sent from my HP Media Center Via RoadRunner...so bite me.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
The Meat Man

Iron county trail map online.

http://havennorth.com/site/images/sn...-trail-map.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	564.1 KB
ID:	2065612  

Dec 2019

168.4 @ 8050 Doo
155.3 @ 7900 Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 800 iqr,13 800 sb,fusion 900 triple
Previous Sled(s): pro-x/xcr 800 engine,xc 800 triple,storms,ultras,650s,
Favorite Riding Area: western U.P/northern WI
Riding Since: 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I have thirty+ years of experience on the Flowage take my advice when out there keep your eyes moving from left to right side to side stay aware. I was there a few years ago when a gal got killed she got tunnel vision and ran an intersection on the Flowage.

If you must race, check the lake first run it down making sure all obstructions are clear then race back. When the race is done stay in your lane and come to a stop with your breaks flashing and hand in the air do not turn left or right till the other racers catch up and are beside you an at a complete stop next to you.

31 years ago we lost a boy from town on the flowage he thought the race was over and turned into his oncoming friends and got T-boned.

The T flowage is one of the most beautiful spots in Wisconsin IMO take time to enjoy the scenery.
Those big lakes like the flowage or Lake Gogebic usually claim one or two every year from something crazy.Later in the winter when they drop the water is when it gets real interesting out there.When the heaves are 10 ft high you don't know if somebody is coming straight at you the other way!
I don't know who has breakfast on the flowage but you can always run to Joaneys or over to Skyview that Im sure you are familiar with.
sleeping_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Burnt out on skyview, i have spent waaaay too much time there lol. We usually stay at a home off trail 6 between manitowish waters and pi. I love the trails in the pi area but just getting burnt on having to go towards boulder to get anywhere east on 6. Being a main east to west trail it gets beat to crap quick. The trail to the north to get to the up is always torn up. We always liked when we rode west to mercer. So figured we would base out of there and can ride to pi area etc still. I have never rode toward the gile flowage or south to springstead. On the flowage we would normally ride down to donners bay. That is the only place i have been on the flowage. Definitely very cautious on the big lakes Badger. Our group is very disciplined and we follow what you stated to a t. I truly worry more about other idiots hitting us. So how is a saxon harbor run? Is going south worth it? I've heard good things about price county as a hidden gem? We like to ride to heavy pine area trails.

Thanks for all of the great info!

Brian
kerpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Meat Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeping_dragon View Post
Those big lakes like the flowage or Lake Gogebic usually claim one or two every year from something crazy.Later in the winter when they drop the water is when it gets real interesting out there.When the heaves are 10 ft high you don't know if somebody is coming straight at you the other way!
I don't know who has breakfast on the flowage but you can always run to Joaneys or over to Skyview that Im sure you are familiar with.
Dead Horse did last I heard, or get you arss out of bed Great Nother has a great one at the bar on the weekends.

But OMG the days of the Hiawatha Inn on the Flowage when Ma would get up at 89-91 years old making Coffee I would go out and start her sled and she would take off to go see all her friends all day. Bobby and his Brother would be cooking breakfast for everyone. Donners Bay has not changed a bit from the 80's same nice joint. Dead Horse looked totally different to me, I think the bar was better when you could look out on the lake. There are a few joints I can't remember their names anymore and they are long gone now.

Dec 2019

168.4 @ 8050 Doo
155.3 @ 7900 Cat

Old 12-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 1979 Kawasaki Invader 440
Previous Sled(s): 2010 Z1T SPLE, 2013 F1100SPLE, 2015 ZR6000 SP, 2015 ZR6000RR
Favorite Riding Area: Hayward Area
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 12

Looking at riding to Mercer from Lost Land lake. I hate riding through park falls as there is a lot of concrete. One option see is FR 164 East from Moose to the intersection of 9/25 , but then there is a stretch called bear lake road. Is that rideable to Butternut? Or are there any other Eat/west fire roads? Otherwise I will have to head North and hit 8
mikesnowman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '11 IQ Turbo, '15 Axys 800, '19 850 XC
Previous Sled(s): '12 Pro-R 8, '08 IQ 8, '02 Pro-X
Favorite Riding Area: Where the snow is....
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 5060
17-18 Mileage: 5100
16-17 Mileage: 2050
Riding Since: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesnowman View Post
Looking at riding to Mercer from Lost Land lake. I hate riding through park falls as there is a lot of concrete. One option see is FR 164 East from Moose to the intersection of 9/25 , but then there is a stretch called bear lake road. Is that rideable to Butternut? Or are there any other Eat/west fire roads? Otherwise I will have to head North and hit 8
I'd never go through Park Falls unless there were no other options. Last time I was over to Mercer, I headed north off the Tuscobia just west of Park Falls (forget the trail number), up to Butternut and then to the flowage.
orville-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 800 Blizzard, 06 F7
Previous Sled(s): 4 polaris, 5 cats
Favorite Riding Area: Wisconsin
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 575
16-17 Mileage: 510
Riding Since: 1997

Isn’t there a bypass around Park falls coming in on Trail 10 from the East so you don’t have to go through town?
snowgoerf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 Pro S 2017 Indy
Previous Sled(s): 2012 800 ETEC Renegade
Favorite Riding Area: Snow and not alot of riders
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1122
Riding Since: 1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerpit View Post
Burnt out on skyview, i have spent waaaay too much time there lol. We usually stay at a home off trail 6 between manitowish waters and pi. I love the trails in the pi area but just getting burnt on having to go towards boulder to get anywhere east on 6. Being a main east to west trail it gets beat to crap quick. The trail to the north to get to the up is always torn up. We always liked when we rode west to mercer. So figured we would base out of there and can ride to pi area etc still. I have never rode toward the gile flowage or south to springstead. On the flowage we would normally ride down to donners bay. That is the only place i have been on the flowage. Definitely very cautious on the big lakes Badger. Our group is very disciplined and we follow what you stated to a t. I truly worry more about other idiots hitting us. So how is a saxon harbor run? Is going south worth it? I've heard good things about price county as a hidden gem? We like to ride to heavy pine area trails.

Thanks for all of the great info!

Brian
If conditions are good, definitely head west and north from the Flowage. I have had some good rides around Burrernut, Glidden, Cayuga, you could even go a bit farther and hit Clam Lake area. Sometimes the FR are a good ride in the forest and you can cut some time off getting to or from the Clam Lake area.
Bontz likes this.
BAREIN97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement