Historical Season Length by County? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Wisconsin This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2018, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 07 ZR1 Jaguar x 2
Previous Sled(s): 00 ZR600, 93 Cougar 440
Favorite Riding Area: Lakewood WI
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1200
17-18 Mileage: 580
16-17 Mileage: 230
Riding Since: 1993
Default Historical Season Length by County?

Hi,

I'm getting super depressed. Last year was f'ing terrible, and this year it's actually cold but we aren't getting any snow.

I got back into snowmobiling in 2013, and looking at link, it seems 2013 was a total anomaly:

https://www.trailmatesclub.com/snowm...rathon-co.html

Could we still have a good season? Idk.

Marathon county isn't even open yet, and looking at these dates historically, it's looking worse and worse. If we get hit with massive snow this sunday, that would help, but best case scenario the trails would open next weekend, which is Jan 12/13. Again, looking at this data, best case scenario is winter lasts a long time until the end of March.

Is there any other places to look for this data, by county? I want to ride to work, but it's looking like this is a total pipe dream these days, so I'm seriously considering just selling my sleds, house, toys, and moving someplace that actually gets winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cash68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 ZR 800 RR and a 18 mtn cat on the way
Previous Sled(s): 13m8 13&12 XF HC, 4 X-fires, F7, 4 poos
Favorite Riding Area: On top of snow
Riding Since: 1988

It's still not late in the season so I wouldn't get hopeless yet. I used to always have vacation days that I would need to burn at the end of the year and you would be surprised over the last 10 years how difficult it has been to find snow by the last week of the year. I consider everything from Yellowstone to the UP to the Snowies... Wherever and the snow hasn't been that readily available. It's still just getting going so don't give up yet!!
sled208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '18 Doo Renegade Enduro 900
Previous Sled(s): Rupp, POOs
Favorite Riding Area: Northern WI
Riding Since: 1972

Here is Oneida.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OpeningClosing2017.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1928426  
ddhanna is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 19 Indy XC 850, 18 SBA 800 LE
Previous Sled(s): 12 600 Rush, 76 Twister,17 SBA 800 LE, 15 Pro X 800 SB
Favorite Riding Area: Northern WI & U.P.
Riding Since: 1980

5-6 inches and most trails north of hwy 10 and East of 39 in WI would open i bet. Lakewood/Townsend area just opened but no base, stones on the grade are all over, etc. but they are close to being really good.
wery7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '17 XCR 800 / '07 600 CFI Switchback
Previous Sled(s): Polaris: '98 Indy Trail, '03 700 Edge
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1900
17-18 Mileage: 1141
16-17 Mileage: 1200
Riding Since: 1991

Hang in there Cash! We're all frustrated as well.
The last couple years have been pretty terrible for central/so WI. Even make the case for good portion of N WI. But late 00's, and early '10's were very good for So/Central WI. A lot of miles racked up locally in those years.
Human nature always remembers recent & current events though.
All my miles have been in UP the last 3 years.

Just need a little more snow to make a lot of places rideable like @wery7 stated. I'm daytripping up to Hurley tomorrow(along with rest of state prob).

Just read this stat: Charleston,SC has had more snow this week(5.3") since Madison has had all winter so far(4.9")!! That's very irritating...
xcbuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 RMK 144
Previous Sled(s): 2015 SBA 600 2014 phazer xtx 2012 shift 136
Favorite Riding Area: Anywhere back when it snowed
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 100
16-17 Mileage: 200
Riding Since: 1991

If it makes you feel any better, I moved 400 miles this year to North Dakota, spent a couple grand on upgrades to the sled and was completely stoked to be riding on a new track, clicker shocks, heated helmet etc. Even bought a new trailer in case I needed to drive a couple hundred miles to find the "really good stuff".

There isn't a single trail open in the entire state. After weeks of 30 below actual temps we are now headed for a week of 30+ above.

If you look at the shallow snow depth map of the north central US, the only place with more than 24 inches is.....well, there isn't. Not 1 single place has enough snow to warrant changing the scale from "shallow" to "normal".

I consider 24 inches the min safe depth for going off trail, which is the only riding I really enjoy. The closest snow that deep is over 10 hours away going east or west. That is not going to happen. I am at a new job and I don't have that kind of vacation or income anymore.

The forecast for the next 6 weeks shows temps in the teens to mid 30s.

I truly believe I will not pull my starter 1 single time this season.

This marks the 4th year in a row with no local snow worth starting the sleds for and no snow worth the travel expense less than 10 hours away.

The cold is still here 1 week and gone the next (so impossible to build a base) but the precip is not.

I am shopping for an ATV and hoping to move south in a few years. This is pointless.

The climate has changed...(not saying why, that is a different thread) but it has changed. The snows of my youth in the 70s and 80s are gone for good in this part of the country and the new snow belt is in Canada and the NE US.

The only good news is my budget should start to improve in the years to come...I am done buying anymore snowmobile gear.

Last edited by flyinghigh; 01-05-2018 at 03:38 PM.
flyinghigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 07 ZR1 Jaguar x 2
Previous Sled(s): 00 ZR600, 93 Cougar 440
Favorite Riding Area: Lakewood WI
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1200
17-18 Mileage: 580
16-17 Mileage: 230
Riding Since: 1993

cash68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Well with cold snap coming to an end it should change our stalled weather. Possibly something developing for later next week.
shifty one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): O.M. 1000, 700 Heavy Mod, 700 IS XCR 1253, XC1214, P.S.700
Favorite Riding Area: N.W. Wisconsin
Riding Since: 1959

I saw at least 40 sleds riding today, trails aren't perfect but are rideable, ditches and off trail are very good (so far) Hayward Powersports had about 25 rentals going out when I was there about 3 hours ago. 3 degrees at the moment and Sunny, but much warmer weather heading this way Sunday, that could bring some much needed snow as our trails are getting pretty beat up.

Forecast for Jan. 18-21 are 32-36, hopefully that won't ruin what we have on the ground now.
XCR1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 Sno Pro 500 & 2010 Sno Pro 500???
Previous Sled(s): ZR580EFI, SRV, Safari 377, Citation SS & Bogie Wheeled Sleds
Favorite Riding Area: twisty windy wooded bliss
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1600ish
17-18 Mileage: 1501.5
16-17 Mileage: -18
Riding Since: 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash68 View Post
Hi,

I'm getting super depressed. Last year was f'ing terrible, and this year it's actually cold but we aren't getting any snow.

I got back into snowmobiling in 2013, and looking at link, it seems 2013 was a total anomaly:

https://www.trailmatesclub.com/snowmobile-season-history--marathon-co.html

Could we still have a good season? Idk.

Marathon county isn't even open yet, and looking at these dates historically, it's looking worse and worse. If we get hit with massive snow this sunday, that would help, but best case scenario the trails would open next weekend, which is Jan 12/13. Again, looking at this data, best case scenario is winter lasts a long time until the end of March.

Is there any other places to look for this data, by county? I want to ride to work, but it's looking like this is a total pipe dream these days, so I'm seriously considering just selling my sleds, house, toys, and moving someplace that actually gets winter.
I hear you neighbor. I grew up riding every available square inch of Marathon County. We rarely if ever had to go up north just to ride. I would get off the school bus as a kid, race home and chase the bus through the neighborhood on 'our' trails. Was hoping this winter would dump on us for a change of pace. So far, not even close. Right now all the trails are marked and ready to go but not enough snow to open. I got desperate New Year's day and rode around on Lake Wausau (yawn) at -temps for an hour or so just to be out. Pathetic. I had not interest in driving up North for one afternoon to get on beat down trails, and be part of the holiday weekend shit show. Everyone I know that rode up North (WI/UP) was on decent snow but said the oncoming traffic was sketchy at best.
Crnr2Crnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement