HCS Snowmobile Forums

HCS Snowmobile Forums (https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/)
-   Wisconsin (https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/287-wisconsin/)
-   -   Fatal in Iron co over the weekend. (https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/287-wisconsin/1672449-fatal-iron-co-over-weekend.html)

paul463 01-02-2017 10:45 AM

Fatal in Iron co over the weekend.

Just outside of Hurley on 17. Left the side of the trail into the trees. 45 years old I'm told.

Slow down, be safe out there.

skidont 01-02-2017 10:52 AM

Damn shame , speed I'm sure

Poo2Bone 01-02-2017 11:09 AM

37 Attachment(s)
Can someone please confirm when this happened?

paul463 01-02-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poo2Bone (Post 17859817)

Friday night according to the Iron Co Sheriff press release.

Poo2Bone 01-02-2017 11:43 AM

37 Attachment(s)
Thanks Paul. I had a buddy that was up riding solo after we left Saturday morning. Just had a gut check. I was able to get ahold of him.
Friday night it was snowing so hard you couldn't hardly see going 35 mph. Came across 13c to spring camp road around 8. Terrible.

Doug S 01-02-2017 11:52 AM

371 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poo2Bone (Post 17859817)

I also had some friends riding up there about the same age. Here's the details

Still sad RIP

** Snowmobiling Fatality On Trail 17 Near Oma Wisconsin **
On the night of Friday December 30th, the Iron County Sheriff's Department received a report of a missing snowmobiler. During their search efforts, at approximately 10:20 AM on Saturday December 31st, Sheriff's department personnel located a snowmobile crash scene on Trail 17 in the town of Oma.
According to Iron County Sheriff Tony Furyk, the snowmobiles operator, a 45 year old male from Illinois, was unresponsive and later pronounced dead by Iron County Coroner Diane Simonich. The snowmobile was travelling Southbound on Trail 17 when it left the trail and struck several trees. Speed is believed to be a factor in the crash.
Members of the Iron County Sheriff's Department, Hurley Police Department, Wisconsin State Patrol, Hurley Fire Department - Snowmobile Rescue and Iron Country Coroner assisted at the scene. The crash remains under investigation by the Iron County Sheriff's Department and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. The name of the victim is being withheld pending notification of next of Kin.

Bontz 01-02-2017 12:01 PM

I hate seeing this stuff ... so sad, especially during the holidays season. RIP

Zambroski 01-02-2017 12:33 PM

1096 Attachment(s)
Yep. Another in N. MN too.

Gotta remember what we are doing out there and what the risks are. "Fun" has a way of erasing common sense.

Sad.

Poo2Bone 01-02-2017 12:35 PM

37 Attachment(s)
Yes me too Chris!
Seriously, I was leading Friday night and it was snowing those giant flakes hard. I was only going 35 and kept checking over my shoulder to see my 12 yr old behind me. Him , 3,4,5,6th sleds said they couldn't see anything but a taillight and the red reflector on the back my son's helmet through the dust. There were times I know I wasn't going 20 it was so bad. When we got home it was a good feeling. I explained to my boy that when it gets like that, slow down as much as it takes to see and get your ass to home or somewhere safe, that's when accidents happen. It only takes a millisecond. How it saddens me, I was right.

Bontz 01-02-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poo2Bone (Post 17860585)
Yes me too Chris!
Seriously, I was leading Friday night and it was snowing those giant flakes hard. I was only going 35 and kept checking over my shoulder to see my 12 yr old behind me. Him , 3,4,5,6th sleds said they couldn't see anything but a taillight and the red reflector on the back my son's helmet through the dust. There were times I know I wasn't going 20 it was so bad. When we got home it was a good feeling. I explained to my boy that when it gets like that, slow down as much as it takes to see and get your ass to home or somewhere safe, that's when accidents happen. It only takes a millisecond. How it saddens me, I was right.

Those are words to live by for all of us, not just your son (great advice!) :thumbsup: I'm glad you guys were able to put on some miles, and came home safely. Hopefully this will be a year of fewer fatalities.