Fatal in Iron co over the weekend. - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Wisconsin This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): SRX 700
Previous Sled(s): zrt, zr 800 older yamaha's
Favorite Riding Area: UP
Riding Since: 1995

It was my buddy Bryan. I was at the site today. Yes he was flying South out of Hurley on Trail 17 and just as the trail cuts to the right he went straight and hit a few trees. His girlfriend thought he just hauled ass down the trail for some time or got lost cause she kept heading South by herself until she reached the Cranberry Inn where she called police and reported him missing. . She drove right by him in the ditch/trees. there he lay for approx. 12 hours until he was found around 10:30 the next day. I cant believe it! Totally experienced rider leading in front of his girlfriend. This happened about a minute from my house. So i'm laying in bed at 11 at night on Friday and he's lying off trail in the ditch at the same time less than half mile from my home dying. Unreal.
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 1200 renegade
Previous Sled(s): ALOT !!
Favorite Riding Area: northern wis - northern Mn
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 3117
17-18 Mileage: 2066
16-17 Mileage: 1936
Riding Since: 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticgeorge View Post
It was my buddy Bryan. I was at the site today. Yes he was flying South out of Hurley on Trail 17 and just as the trail cuts to the right he went straight and hit a few trees. His girlfriend thought he just hauled ass down the trail for some time or got lost cause she kept heading South by herself until she reached the Cranberry Inn where she called police and reported him missing. . She drove right by him in the ditch/trees. there he lay for approx. 12 hours until he was found around 10:30 the next day. I cant believe it! Totally experienced rider leading in front of his girlfriend. This happened about a minute from my house. So i'm laying in bed at 11 at night on Friday and he's lying off trail in the ditch at the same time less than half mile from my home dying. Unreal.
Real sorry to here and when you put it that way it sounds even worse
skidont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '14 ZR6000RR '15 ZR6000LXR
Previous Sled(s): SnoPro 500, Not enough room to list...
Favorite Riding Area: Lakewood/Mountain WI
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1200
16-17 Mileage: 600
Riding Since: 1982

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your buddy. Have a feeling this could happen to any of us if something just slightly goes wrong or catch something unexpectly....
yak651 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2017, 09:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 Rush AXYS 600
Previous Sled(s): 11 Rush 600, 03 & 01 XC 600, Indy 500, XCR, Sport
Favorite Riding Area: Hurley and U.P.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 820
17-18 Mileage: 860
16-17 Mileage: 770
Riding Since: 1984

Quote:
Been on trail 17 many times, know the cut you are referring to you. Whether you are going south or north, there are a couple of cuts and they can sneak up in a hurry. I have seen way too many paths into the woods in this area. Stay safe my fellow sledders.
2011Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 Arctic Cat Crossfire LE 800
Previous Sled(s): Too Many
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Wisc. & Da UP!
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1,000+
16-17 Mileage: Riding
Riding Since: 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poo2Bone View Post
Yes me too Chris!
Seriously, I was leading Friday night and it was snowing those giant flakes hard. I was only going 35 and kept checking over my shoulder to see my 12 yr old behind me. Him , 3,4,5,6th sleds said they couldn't see anything but a taillight and the red reflector on the back my son's helmet through the dust. There were times I know I wasn't going 20 it was so bad. When we got home it was a good feeling. I explained to my boy that when it gets like that, slow down as much as it takes to see and get your ass to home or somewhere safe, that's when accidents happen. It only takes a millisecond. How it saddens me, I was right.

Well said!
2001 Arctic Cat ZR800
1999 Arctic Cat ZL600 EFI
1993 Arctic Cat Thundercat
1991 Arctic Cat EXT 530 (2)
1986 Arctic Cat Kitty Cat
1986 Yamaha XLV
1983 Yamaha V-max
1981 Scorpion Sidewinder
1981 Yamaha SRV
1973 Arctic Cat Kitty Cat
kzr800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 Arctic Cat Crossfire LE 800
Previous Sled(s): Too Many
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Wisc. & Da UP!
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1,000+
16-17 Mileage: Riding
Riding Since: 1973

Quote:

So sad, sorry to hear that. I have been riding my whole life and to be honest the past few years, I have slowed down big time.....and, I worry more and more.
2001 Arctic Cat ZR800
1999 Arctic Cat ZL600 EFI
1993 Arctic Cat Thundercat
1991 Arctic Cat EXT 530 (2)
1986 Arctic Cat Kitty Cat
1986 Yamaha XLV
1983 Yamaha V-max
1981 Scorpion Sidewinder
1981 Yamaha SRV
1973 Arctic Cat Kitty Cat
kzr800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 F800 Sno Pro
Previous Sled(s): 2014 ZR8000 LTD( Wifes )

Horrible,,,, I got chills reading about this as its something that ran through my head when we were riding down trail 3 in the snow Christmas week.

I make a conscious effort to make sure I dont overdrive my headlights these days.
obnoxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 12 800 switch,06 fst, 78 srx
Previous Sled(s): all poo 800's and a few 7's
Favorite Riding Area: on the seat
Riding Since: 1974

I like to ride hard. Too hard as a matter of fact. Pushing my sled and myself to its limits. When it gets dusty or snowing hard I back way down. Just plain freaks the shit out of me like nothing in this world. Many years ago , I was involved in a fatality accident. I drove into a complete white out traveling 60-65 mph down a lake. Total white out meaning I couldn't even see the front of the sled. Not seconds later something came over the hood and took me and my wife off the sled. That something ended up being my friend. I'm telling ya fellas there's nothing like getting out of bed every day since then. That was 17 yrs ago at the end of this month. When you can't see, slow down. I never had a chance to slow down or didn't even think to back then. I always wonder what if this or that. Just not worth it!
Poo2Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Site Moderator - Chris

Current Sled(s): 2019 Indy XC 850
Previous Sled(s): '16 SB Pro-X; '15 Rush Pro-S; '12 SB Pro-R; '09 Dragon -Cats
Favorite Riding Area: Lake Namakagon/Cable, WI
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1352
17-18 Mileage: 2032
16-17 Mileage: 825
Riding Since: 1975

I can't even imagine ... it's bad enough having close calls. Truer words couldn't be spoken ... when you can't see, slow the f down.

In fact, I hate to sound like a prude ... but when you're on the lake, try to stay off your buddy's bumper (or near it). Things happen way too quick on the lakes. I got launched off my sled a couple years ago, while we were going across Lake Namakagan headed towards Garden Lake and I was fortunate my buddy wasn't directly behind me. Ever since then, it was a wake up call to stay off to the sides of each other or far enough behind to react. I guess it IS possible to learn as we get older, because when I was younger there was no way I'd consider that. It was always a blast putting the ski tip on my buddy's snow flap.

Stay safe ... have fun too!! But be safe.
Bontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 19 Indy XC 850, 18 SBA 800 LE
Previous Sled(s): 12 600 Rush, 76 Twister,17 SBA 800 LE, 15 Pro X 800 SB
Favorite Riding Area: Northern WI & U.P.
Riding Since: 1980

Just sad....I know I've slowed down the last few year and have become way more defensive as I've had a few close calls of mine own. Stay safe to all those out this weekend.
wery7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement