Curious Conditions On Trail #8....... - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Michigan This is a state discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 04:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 06 Fushion Dragon
Previous Sled(s): 93 EFI, 98 XC700
Favorite Riding Area: Frederic Style and the UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by catracer25 View Post
You are correct with saying the grooming is sub contracted out in the Munising area. It is indeed Gerou excavating that has the grooming contract. They also own Comfort Inn and Days Inn. With that said the Alger County Chamber of Commerce has NOTHING to do with the trail grooming in the area. Munising does not have a club mainly because there are no volunteers and no one wants to try and get one going. 90% of the sled traffic is Munising towards grand marais so that's the heaviest traveled areas. I agree its not right to be charged $45 for a sticker when the trails are crap but what do you expect when once the groomer finally does come out it gets followed by 50 sleds within an a hour so as it was mentioned before it has no time to set up.
Agree and I Wonder why they don't groom at night to give it time to firm up?? Hmmmm, I Can't believe if they own 2 hotels up there that they don't take care of the trails like their hotels? Maybe a fluke with that wknd with the groomers being down for repairs? Who knows.
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Rev X & Gade
Favorite Riding Area: Munising, Mi
Riding Since: 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dragon View Post
Sounds like u had a better ride to the south! We went NW and West. Agreed that 413 was crap! Hopefully they get them fixed.
Where are and what are the "Ice Caves" u mentioned, Grand Marais??
Follow trail 8 just past Chatham to Eben. Follow the road north and make the 3rd right. The road will curve to the left and there will be a parking area on the right. You then have to hike approx 1/2 mile in but it is worth the trip.

Not sure if this link will work:

#37 – Explore the Eben Ice Caves | Things To Do In The U.P.
peterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #23 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk View Post
Follow trail 8 just past Chatham to Eben. Follow the road north and make the 3rd right. The road will curve to the left and there will be a parking area on the right. You then have to hike approx 1/2 mile in but it is worth the trip.

Not sure if this link will work:

#37 – Explore the Eben Ice Caves | Things To Do In The U.P.
Thanks Bro! Will ck it out next time!!
Old 01-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #24 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '10 Shift 600
Previous Sled(s): '07 IQ 600 carb (spare) '99 XCSP 700, '12 Switch
Favorite Riding Area: West Hiawatha National Forest

My place is south of Wetmore about 15 miles or so. I ride this area all of the time. We were up from Wednesday until Sunday....we left Sunday morning.

Surprised that no one has mentioned the infamous new groomer boss that was hired. He's to oversee the grooming job by Gerou. Supposedly from the Seney area and was hired because of all of the complaints.

Overall I thought the trails were good those days that we rode. I got stiffed by a buddy for our plan to ride on Saturday so we basically rode from the trailhead on 440 north to Wetmore and back 3 or so times putting almost 120 miles on.

The last ride south was the worst with 7 south being worse than 8!

Supposedly the groomer boss hands out cards at the Buckhorn. I have yet to meet him but I rarely go to buckhorn. I was up there though and had the Hawaiian burger and I must say I'll be back for another sometime.

Maybe someone who has met this guy can post his number?
IQPolarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #25 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Rev X & Gade
Favorite Riding Area: Munising, Mi
Riding Since: 1973

Interesting post on the MSA Facebook page today:

Michigan Snowmobile Association
From a DNR contact in the UP....
Just wanted to make sure we pass on the good as fast as we do the “not so good”. I recently received a report that three different people (groups) were questioning who took over the grooming in Munising. The reason for the question was the their trails were better than they had ever found them! All three were basically making the same statement…. It would appear that the sponsor finally got all their equipment up and running. Great job.
peterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 Thundercat
Previous Sled(s): '13 F1100T Limited/'14 ZR9000 Limited
Favorite Riding Area: West & Central U.P.
17-18 Mileage: 6875
16-17 Mileage: 6105
15-16 Mileage: 6350
Riding Since: 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
munising is the gaylord of the UP. I have never seen it smooth on a weekend

We have a house in the Munising general area. So, we get a chance to see the trends.

Weekends bring the weekend warriors, and then the rough trails. Monday morning, the trails are almost always in great shape, and that lasts until the warriors head back up.

I wonder why more people don't seek out the trail systems in other areas around the state. Why everyone seems to migrate to Gaylord and Munising...i'll never know.

We rode out of our area, down to Manistique, over toward Gould City area, then back north...and the trails/off trail areas were perfect! Best i've seen this year.

So, why the fetish with Gaylord and Munising?

bigevil1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk View Post
Interesting post on the MSA Facebook page today:

Michigan Snowmobile Association
From a DNR contact in the UP....
Just wanted to make sure we pass on the good as fast as we do the “not so good”. I recently received a report that three different people (groups) were questioning who took over the grooming in Munising. The reason for the question was the their trails were better than they had ever found them! All three were basically making the same statement…. It would appear that the sponsor finally got all their equipment up and running. Great job.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigevil1000 View Post
We have a house in the Munising general area. So, we get a chance to see the trends.

Weekends bring the weekend warriors, and then the rough trails. Monday morning, the trails are almost always in great shape, and that lasts until the warriors head back up.

I wonder why more people don't seek out the trail systems in other areas around the state. Why everyone seems to migrate to Gaylord and Munising...i'll never know.

We rode out of our area, down to Manistique, over toward Gould City area, then back north...and the trails/off trail areas were perfect! Best i've seen this year.

So, why the fetish with Gaylord and Munising?
The big Q since I found out on here is, why isn't the Sub Contractor holding up his end of the contract! I really don't look at it as a fetish. When all trails lead to or pass by certain towns u get curious as to why they were shot with this amount of snow or for the fact any year. It's a commom question on here yr after yr with everyone asking for trail conidtions from the people who live up North and who rode the past week(end), since Fishweb, MSA, ect. can't keep their websites updated every week. I've seen stuff not updated since Jan. 11th! Really??!

I totally get the wknd warriors gig. It happens all yr. Gaylord has always been a hot spot due the fact of being centrally located. Munising along with all the other big towns are hot spots in the upper. I find it strange that Munising has a Sub Contractor for grooming and the other Big Towns all have clubs. Granted I don't belong to club (shame on me) but I just don't have the time to volunteer with whatever, plus I'm not on here to bash and bitch. So the next time if i ride that area and it's in shitty shape.... Now I know why! That's why I asked this since, I'm trying to ride the UP more than the lower bcuz of the sights and better snow conditions. And got my answer by asking.

And of course with gas spent to get there, drive time, a place to stay and a $45 permit to ride u would hope ur gonna have great trails as they promote it. But that's not always the case with Breakdowns, traffic, weather, ect. and I'm good with that. U always have to take the great, good with the bad and shitty! That's why I asked.

Some have a great ride on certain trails and bad on others and we will probably never know the method to their madness on trial route grooming in high traffic area's. Volunteering as a groomer is a tough schedule and I totally understand that!

Last edited by Johnny Dragon; 01-22-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Johnny Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '10 Shift 600
Previous Sled(s): '07 IQ 600 carb (spare) '99 XCSP 700, '12 Switch
Favorite Riding Area: West Hiawatha National Forest

The reason there is a sub contractor is because of money and politics. He's probably one of the only construction companies that has people working during the winter. Think about this...

Munising has but one trail going east and west and yep...you guessed right; it's trail 8. There's no loop south to go west.

I don't think that it's because it's a hub like Gaylord. Gaylord gets a lot of snow but so does the whole UP. Except for the sault and l'anse that is. The sault has good grooming though.

The other reason there is an issue is because they don't groom at night much that I've ever seen.

They did slow it down though. A couple of years ago I got behind one that was running over 15mph.
IQPolarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): None Ski Doo Arctic Cat
Previous Sled(s): 2013-15 Ski Doo Renegades / 1998-06 ZR-Firecat-Crossfires
Favorite Riding Area: Ishpeming / Munising Crazy 8s
17-18 Mileage: X
16-17 Mileage: X
15-16 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 1998

Date: 1/21/2014
Munising Snowmobile Trail Report:
With over a foot of new snow and more on the way trails are great.
Traffic is down after a busy weekend and all trails are groomed and smooth.

Visit Munising.org for lodging.

You guys must all be liars !!!

Havent rode Trail #8 out of Munising since i trashed my tunnel on my 06 Crossfire the first year i owned it - Yes the rollers where that bad

Anyways

So many staging areas that you can trailer to out of Munising , depending upon what direction your headed - Honestly , so why deal with it ??? Besides that RR Grade #8 is so damn boring to ride , even when its half smooth

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee - 383 Magnum / 432 Stroker - Slapstik - 3:91 Suregrip
bee1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement