Hay Days 2019 Who's going??? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Michigan This is a state discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): The Frankenstein
Favorite Riding Area: Anywhere there is snow.
Riding Since: 1992
Default Hay Days 2019 Who's going???

I've never been before and am considering going for the first time this year.

Looking for any and all suggestions, comments, excetera excetera.
polaris bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 19' Indy XC 850, Fusion 600
Previous Sled(s): 17' XCR 800, Polaris Indy Classic 500
Favorite Riding Area: Anywhere with snow
17-18 Mileage: 3000
16-17 Mileage: 1300
Riding Since: 1997

This year will make 7 years in a row for me. I think its definitely worth going once and is cool to see. Many things going on to see. One thing I will say is the swap isn't something I really enjoy all that much. Its hard to find what your looking for and lots of junk to search through. However, I do enjoy looking at stuff from OEM vendors and they have some good deals to be had on clothing, new parts, etc.
polaris bob likes this.
Snowmobile4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 Axys600R, 2008 IQr, 2008 IQrr,
Previous Sled(s): still have 98xc7 220 motor
Favorite Riding Area: Mancelona cabin "Oleo Acres"

I go every year. The last 2 years I have went and helped a buddy sell race sled parts in the swap. The best thing about this is getting on the grounds on Friday. Wheeling and dealing starts in the line to get in and park. Friday is crazy
If you have not got a room, I looked after Memorial day and it is very slip pickings if anything is to be found. Every year I book my normal room in Lino lakes. It's only up to a measly 2 hundo a night.
I am glad I live mid state so I can go through the UP and Omit anything close to Chicago.

Going to this show reminds me of going west skiing. once you do it, you are ruined for doing it again in Michigan. This show/swap/race is the mother of all....No comparisons even close. If you go to a show in Mi. after this you just have to chuckle that they ask the same entry fee and you get nothing.....It's just money I guess

Tips
-Bring lots of money, cash machines and credit card machines had some issues last year.
-Cell phone service is sketchy due to all of the users
-Park in the west parking lot and get there early.
-Bring comfy shoes.... best tip... I walk 15 miles on Sat. alone
polaris bob likes this.

Last edited by dodger; 06-12-2019 at 08:45 AM.
dodger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Our thought at this point in time is to fly in, get a rental car and a room near the airport and drive up from there.

According to maps, the event location is only 60 sum odd miles north of the big city.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I did that a for a couple of years. I had lots of frequent flyer miles and free rental car coupons. Made it a cheap trip but you were limited as to what you could buy. Hell last year I took out a truckload and hauled back an empty keg is all. Paid for my complete trip with the parts I hauled out. I actually enjoy the trip through the UP and across Wisconsin on hwy 8.
polaris bob likes this.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Viper
Previous Sled(s): 52
Favorite Riding Area: C. Wi
Riding Since: 1969

Made it there every year during it's hEyday thru out the 1990's into early 2000's. I remember catching dirt cheap airfare one year from Chicago (midway) roundtrip for under $80.00
One year I was parked in the pits next to a guy who drove from Bethel, Maine to race Ski-Doos in stock class
polaris bob likes this.

Last edited by SHOOT2KILL2; 06-12-2019 at 10:51 AM.
SHOOT2KILL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I did that a for a couple of years. I had lots of frequent flyer miles and free rental car coupons. Made it a cheap trip but you were limited as to what you could buy. Hell last year I took out a truckload and hauled back an empty keg is all. Paid for my complete trip with the parts I hauled out. I actually enjoy the trip through the UP and across Wisconsin on hwy 8.

Not looking to sell anything and don't know what all I might buy. But if it came down to it I'm sure I can either have it shipped or find a friend who's coming back my way and throw it in a truck or trailer.

According to Google maps it's approximately 10 1/2 hour trip there and back going through Chicago and it's a 11 1/2 hour trip taking the ferry. That's not counting and stops for fuel or food plus from looking at their website the ferry prices are just crazy expensive. I can actually fly cheaper than I could drive.

And it saves 24 hours driving on the road.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 F8 Sno Pro HO / 2000 MXZ 600 Trail
Previous Sled(s): Lots of Cats and Doo's, few Yammys
Riding Since: 1990

Might have just sold my Twin Spar so ill be in the market, hay days looks like a blast.
stinkipinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Hand built 2009 Polaris IQ 800 mod
Previous Sled(s): Lots of Polaris and 1 or 2 other randoms
Favorite Riding Area: the U.P.!!!!!
18-19 Mileage 30
17-18 Mileage: 1000
16-17 Mileage: 800ish
15-16 Mileage: 1/2 so far
Riding Since: 8

This is my 21st year going, I don't think I could go as a spectator at this point. My general plan is get there friday setup the swap space walk the swap/shop on friday, sell to the public on saturday, new vendor shop and watch some racing on sunday.

Tips
since you are flying bring an empty back pack (or buy one there). even if you don't buy anything its nice to have your hands free of brochures, water bottles, etc.

comfy shoes are a must

sun screen

a pile of cash (food/drinks are expensive) and I don't think they let you carry in through the spectator gates.

don't be scared to haggle even in the vendor area, what's the worst that can happen they say the price is the price.

get there early the last few years I've seen guys parking as much as 2hrs before the gates open.

Lastly if you see me in the swap come say hi, its nice meeting other HCS members in person, the attached pic is the truck I'll have there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	work_truck.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	2054434  
dodger and polaris bob like this.
906 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Jesus the ferry ride would really throw an expense into it....Frikking pricey. It's an hour to load and a hour to unload the last time I took the ferry. 4 hour trip over (6 total) and you can drive there faster. It was the mid 90s the last time I took it. It went to Kewanee

11 hours for me one way. If they would ever get done with the Cut River bridge it would knock of a good 1/2 hour to 45 min. 3 years now working on that bridge.
polaris bob likes this.

Last edited by dodger; 06-12-2019 at 03:02 PM.
dodger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement