Information on Snowmobiling in the Adirondacks - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

New York This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Ski doo MXZ TNT 850
Previous Sled(s): Legend600,2009 MXZ 800, Polaris
Favorite Riding Area: MAINE, NEW YORK, VT
Riding Since: 1974
Default Maine and new york

Maine trails are far better then New Yorks. Plus you dont get the crowds like you do in NY. Riding in old forge and tug hill are like riding on the interstate. Tons of sleds. I will take Maine over New York anyday!!
legend600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Great post man I am from Harrisville which is a few hours from Saranac but ride that way all year. Low amounts of snow led to bad RR track riding all over northern NY and tight trails are just part riding the Adirondacks.
ripper365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '09 Yamaha Nytro R-TX SE
Previous Sled(s): '03 Polaris 700 Classic
Favorite Riding Area: Madison County, NY
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 823
16-17 Mileage: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend600 View Post
Maine trails are far better then New Yorks. Plus you dont get the crowds like you do in NY. Riding in old forge and tug hill are like riding on the interstate. Tons of sleds. I will take Maine over New York anyday!!
I will agree tug hill is crowded especially on the weekends. But don't be so quick to generalize all of NY vast trails in other counties. You would be pleasantly surprised if you did riding in Madison County which is just south and east of Oneida Lake. Much more open fields with rolling hills and also some woods riding. Only issue is, more snow in tug hill on a more consistent basis.

Grassman24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Advanced Member

just registered my sled for this season i love maine trails too bad its a long ride to get up there
sm94427p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: Adirondacks
16-17 Mileage: 1200?
Riding Since: 1970
Default Speculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merhow89 View Post
...taking our first excursion to Speculator in February. Staying at the Melody Lodge and will ride out from there. Can we get paper maps in town? ... we don't have studded tracks on either sled, are they necessary up there? Our family has a hunting camp back in on ILP property, ...
Old post but I thought I'd answer for anyone else interested.

You can get free maps published by the Adirondacks Speculator Region Chamber of Commerce. They are available at all local businesses.

Generally speaking studded tracks are not necessary. There are a few hills that may be icy even in good conditions, of course some corners on trails particularly on the logging roads where speeds tend to be higher, and if there is low snow or a recent thaw and freeze the lakes may be bare ice but even then if you are careful you can ride.

ILP I think you mean IP which is no longer owned by International Paper. It is now Lyme Timber and the state has purchased a conservation easement which has both good and bad aspects. Good in the sense that there is (theoretically) more public access and (theoretically) more permanent snowmobile trails, bad because as soon as the state gets control they place more rules and restrictions whereas when IP owned it they generally didn't micromanage the 'official' snowmobile trails and really didn't much care where you rode as long as you stayed away from the active logging operations and plowed roads use by log trucks.
freestylebackcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement