A Call to All Snowmobile Clubs in New York State - HCS Snowmobile Forums

New York This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '14 XRS 797 ETEC
Previous Sled(s): '13 T'NT 594
Favorite Riding Area: NY
19-20 Mileage: 1,100
18-19 Mileage: 1,261
17-18 Mileage: 1,775
16-17 Mileage: 1,645
Riding Since: '73
Arrow A Call to All Snowmobile Clubs in New York State

The New York State Snowmobile Association has made a significant investment in an interactive, real time snowmobile conditions trail web-map. I for one really like this web-map, because in a given day I just don't ride one club's trails. I may, in a given day, ride 10 or more different club's trails. And checking out the websites, Facebook pages, and trail condition hot lines for 10 or more different clubs is just not practical.

Here is a link to the New York State interactive, real time snowmobile conditions trail web-map:

https://webapps2.cgis-solutions.com/nysnowmobile/

My guess is only about 50% of the New York clubs are taking a few minutes to quickly update the state-wide real time snowmobile conditions trail web-map. And this seems far simpler and quicker than updating a club's website, Facebook page, and trail condition hot lines.

If you are an active club member (a rare things these days), please relay this back to your club. Thank you.
NYH1 likes this.

Last edited by Trail Ryder; 01-20-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Trail Ryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Polaris Classic's; son '01 600, me '04 700.
Previous Sled(s): Ski Doo's; '87 Stratos,'94 MX470, '98 Formula 500.
Favorite Riding Area: CNY and Tug Hill NY.
Riding Since: 1992

We use that mainly as a trail map. Not really to see if the trails are open. We've been through areas that the map had as closed and the trails were good to go with a lot of riders on them.

It'd be nice if they were updated more frequently and most of the clubs used it. I understand completely that the club members do this on their own time. I really appreciate their time and effort.

We belong to Square Valley and Osceola Snowmobile Association. Might join another club or two as well.

NYH1.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Seems like it would be easier for a club to update a single website for trail status, rather than have to update the club's website, the club's Facebook page, the trail condition hot line, etc. It seems like this would free up the volunteers' time.

I for one, despise going to a dozen or more websites to plan my day's ride.

It also seems like posting accurate trail status in one location would help reduce people from accidentally riding on closed trails.
LIMESQUEEZE and NYH1 like this.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

The thing is not everyone is on Facebook so the info they post is moot. If we don’t see it’s clear we just don’t ride there. We can move to where we the map shows good. I’m in 2 clubs this year and hope they stay on top of their reporting. I hate to skip the good stops.
NYH1 and acpantera64 like this.
lagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagman View Post
Iím in 2 clubs this year and hope they stay on top of their reporting.
Please share this topic with your club officers.

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '01 XC 600 '02 XC 500, '97 Ultra Mod
Previous Sled(s): '99 XC 6, '99 XC 7, '01 XC 8, '92 Trail, '88 Sport
Favorite Riding Area: CNY
17-18 Mileage: 320
16-17 Mileage: 500
Riding Since: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagman View Post
The thing is not everyone is on Facebook so the info they post is moot. If we donít see itís clear we just donít ride there. We can move to where we the map shows good. Iím in 2 clubs this year and hope they stay on top of their reporting. I hate to skip the good stops.
I am curious, are you active in your clubs? Not getting up on a soapbox, but paying your dues to a club and hoping that things get done is the problem with the current arrangement in NY.
Trail Ryder likes this.
smokin92trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2004 Ski-Doo 600 SDI Adrenaline
Previous Sled(s): 2001 Arct Cat ZR800 carb
Riding Since: 2010

I think a lot of the clubs were waiting to see if the map was partially successful before jumping onboard, and that a lot of clubs have existing methods that have worked, so changing processes are always hard.

There are also internal issues with the site that make it difficult to use. Most of the trails are not segmented correctly, due to the gps data submitted by the clubs, so marking a partial trail open/closed is not possible.
gCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

It is only $4.99 per year to jump onboard, and the clubs that do it tell me that it is easy to update and takes less time than the old way (updating Facebook, updating the club's website, updating the trail conditions hot line, etc.). And several of us ride more than one particular clubs' trails in a day and want ONE place to check for trail status when planning our rides. And lots of snowmobilers aren't even on Facebook.

I sure don't want to hear of any clubs complaining about people riding on closed trails when there is not a physical sign on the trail stating so or at least it is shown as closed on the NYSSA Web-Map. The NYSSA has given the clubs a great tool, the clubs just need to use it.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2004 Ski-Doo 600 SDI Adrenaline
Previous Sled(s): 2001 Arct Cat ZR800 carb
Riding Since: 2010

Getting the older VOLUNTEERS to change their methods is very hard.. I am responsible for updating our webmap.. but I can't even get them to notify me when they update the clubs website..

onboard also meaning, other clubs using it the site..

and people have been riding on closed trails forever.. just posting on a new site is not going to stop that!
Frozenstiff likes this.
gCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Polaris / 2019 XC
Favorite Riding Area: In the Snow
Riding Since: 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Ryder View Post
It is only $4.99 per year to jump onboard, and the clubs that do it tell me that it is easy to update and takes less time than the old way (updating Facebook, updating the club's website, updating the trail conditions hot line, etc.). And several of us ride more than one particular clubs' trails in a day and want ONE place to check for trail status when planning our rides. And lots of snowmobilers aren't even on Facebook.

I sure don't want to hear of any clubs complaining about people riding on closed trails when there is not a physical sign on the trail stating so or at least it is shown as closed on the NYSSA Web-Map. The NYSSA has given the clubs a great tool, the clubs just need to use it.
Good tool for riders yes, but this will put a nail in the coffin for revenue from club Map sales. With NYSSA not giving money back to clubs that use and update the app.= no revenue ?? Cubs need all the money they can get! Heck most clubs have not even got there 30% checks yet.
t hillrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement