winter roulette - HCS Snowmobile Forums

New York This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2020, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 SWB Assault 800; 2016 SWB Pro-S 800
Previous Sled(s): Started on 1972 Yamaha 338
Favorite Riding Area: Away from the crowds
19-20 Mileage: 1026
18-19 Mileage: 2313
17-18 Mileage: 3870
16-17 Mileage: 936
Riding Since: 1987
Default winter roulette

So in order to ride anything in this goofy weather, I've been on all three of these in the past week.

Hopefully I can just stick to the sled for a couple weeks ...
Attached Images

Wantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 02:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Previous Sled(s): 15 800 x
Favorite Riding Area: TUG, VT, CANADA
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1200
Riding Since: 1990

more like the lottery lately,,, I had an awesome motorcycle ride on street bike last weekend. more miles on that this winter.
MXZBUZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 xc indy 840
Previous Sled(s): 2015 prox 17 prox 17 xcr 10 xp 09 nytro 06 apex 05 f7 03 f7
Favorite Riding Area: Tug hill- old forge

Lol. Just the other day I was looking at my mountain bike and thinking I should take it for a spin since no snow. Now I’m getting ready to mountain bike and we are getting snow. Wtf. Weather make up your damn mind.
Lid2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2020, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: salisbury, speculator, cny

i have been bouncing back and forth from the fat bike to the sled. my boys rode skinny tires wed night. we had some killer snow to ride on but of course it melted. now the sled is coming back in to play.
sleepybrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Things are looking up. Clubs worked magic with what little snow they got over the weekend. 220 mi loop from Pulaski to Woodhull and back yesterday. I was happy to be on a sled and not a bike.

Great job PBSC, Valley, and Trackside. Nobody got a ton of snow in any one place, but those three clubs' trails were about as good as they get, and while the day had plenty of traffic, their trails stayed set up nicey nice all day. There are still soft spots and water cuts all over the place but they are making really good progress to (re) establish a base.

The day had a little bit of everything and a couple surprises. Like this, halfway from Montague to Flat Rock. "Dude, Where's my Truck?"

Saw a lot of this yesterday:

Lunch stop ... the food came out right away (out of my bag) ... but I did spend an hour taking in the view. For all I know I might have been the first person to see it since before the Halloween storm. It sure felt that way.

Little further up that very off-the-beaten-path trail was a NYS Forest Ranger working on a downed tree ... His was the only other sled I saw in a couple-hour stretch out there. He was having a little trouble with whatever folding saw contraption had been issued to him, and was about to go back to his truck for a chainsaw. Instead we took turns with my little $9 walmart special, cutting and tossing branches to get it cleaned up as good as we could until a groomer gets through there (if it ever does).

Groom groom groom groom groom ... that's what pretty much all the clubs did, all day. It worked out! Last 20 miles of the day were easily the best, and that is at the end of a day that saw plenty of traffic. And they were still at it as I was loading up to head home.

In closing, an observation about the Hill, where I've been riding on and off since about 1992. I usually try to go elsewhere to avoid the circus, but sometimes it's the only show (snow) in town, and I have to make Hill miles if I want to make miles. Going in, I had low expectations what with it being a holiday Monday and one of the first rideable days of the season.

What actually happened was a really pleasant surprise: I saw 0 dumb, dangerous, or thoughtless moves (not counting the knucklehead who thought his Dodge pickup was a snowmobile). Not one. Every sledder I saw was hugging their side, stopping to the side of the trail and not in the middle of it, approaching corners and hilltops with the unknown in mind, yielding to groomers, etc. The riders I overtook all either slowed down for me on wide open sections of trail, or pulled to the side at intersections; the riders who overtook me waited for me to do the same. I didn't see anyone blow a corner, no neon morons showcasing their mad backcountry skillz, nobody coming at me sideways with the track locked up. If I didn't know better, I'd swear that common sense and common courtesy had taken over the Hill for the day. And that, combined with the surprisingly good trails, made for a great day!
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2020, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 indy xc 850
Previous Sled(s): '02 ZR 800, early build corssfire
Favorite Riding Area: Old Forge, NY
Riding Since: 1974

Thanks for the post Wantry. In your opinion, do you think the trails will hold up after 2 days (Thursday and Friday) with temps above freezing? Looking to ride this weekend.
pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Polaris Classic's; son '01 600, me '04 700.
Previous Sled(s): Ski Doo's; '87 Stratos,'94 MX470, '98 Formula 500.
Favorite Riding Area: CNY and Tug Hill NY.
Riding Since: 1992

My son, his friend and I went up today. Most trails where pretty good. A few were really bad.

We unloaded on Hanifin Rd. in Empeyville. Rode up to Turin/Lyons Falls area, then back to The Hideaway for dinner. About 90 miles. Great time.

NYH1.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the post Wantry. In your opinion, do you think the trails will hold up after 2 days (Thursday and Friday) with temps above freezing? Looking to ride this weekend.
Definitely maybe? The temps will be below freezing every night, and the clubs seemed to be making up for lost time with their grooming effort so far.

But ... it's spring conditions and it will be worse by the weekend. So be ready for water cuts across the trail, holes, ice, rocks and branches sticking up in funny places, etc.

I'm planning to ride the weekend (and possibly tomorrow/Friday if I can). But I'm going into it expecting a wide range of trail conditions, not all good.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I rode today out of Winona...

On the fatbike.

Did 8 miles. Fell down 4 times in the mashed potato rutted up bumpy corners ... and that's on the non-motorized trails! The best riding was on the main sled trails because at least on those, the base was worn down pretty flat. To their credit, the two sledders that passed me 3 times in half an hour (because I think they were stuck riding loops around the Forest) were courteous and gave me plenty of room. Which is good, because even on 5" tires at 2 PSI, what snow their was was so mashed potatoes soft that I didn't have a ton of control on the bike.

On the way back to the barn, there was another truck stuck in the trail. So I'm 3 for 3 on rides/seeing stuck trucks north of Rt. 49 this year, just in case I had missed the previous signs that winter hasn't yet started to cooperate.

I was planning to ride (sleds) Saturday, but after what I saw today, I'm gonna keep my powder dry.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: salisbury, speculator, cny

i'll be fat biking this week.
sleepybrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement