Winona ride 1-8 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

New York This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By oko
  • 1 Post By oko
  • 2 Post By Wantry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2020, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
oko
Super Advanced Member

Default Winona ride 1-8

Dropped at Wart Rd lot this morning. No grooming at that time with very powdery snow. Dozens of water holes in the wooded areas. All passable today. Better snow is closer to the "bar loop" and nearby on the Tug. We waited 1.5-hrs for food at the Hook & Ladder today. Yikes! It was like a holiday weekend up there. I trail broke the S54 from Townline to the C5A. Part of the S54 is closed by the DEC this season. My 3-riding partners didn't want anything to do with the S54. That's the trail that I got stuck in a water hole several years ago. NOT TODAY!
We ran into PBSC's Tucker around 3:15. Nice of them to be out. Probably 30-rigs on the Little John Rd today. Tomorrow should be really good. Just watch the water holes in the woods.

Photos from top left: Blount Mills Dr., Bryce Rd, Hook & Ladder lot around 1:30. Vacation rental on Nichols Rd. PBSC Tucker. Idiot FedEx driver followed his GPS onto seasonal Wart Rd and got stuck on trail. Maybe he was delivering parts to the Cat in the photo?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BluntMillsDr.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	2070222   Click image for larger version

Name:	BriceRD.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	2070224   Click image for larger version

Name:	HookLadder.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	2070226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nichols Rd.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	2070228   Click image for larger version

Name:	PBSC.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	2070230  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FedExWartRd.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	2070232  
Phantom Rider, rambler and NYH1 like this.

Last edited by oko; 01-08-2020 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling
oko is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: Tug Hill

Great to see you back OKO!
There is no excuse for an hour and a half wait for food... One of the reasons we stopped going to THI when were were still riding. Maybe the people who want to drink while waiting don't have a problem with that but we just wanted to have lunch and roll when we were riding.
We were at a place down here on New Year Day on the bikes and the bar was packed but once we put our order in we had our food in 15 minutes.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Polaris Classic's; son '01 600, me '04 700.
Previous Sled(s): Ski Doo's; '87 Stratos,'94 MX470, '98 Formula 500.
Favorite Riding Area: CNY and Tug Hill NY.
Riding Since: 1992

I want to go up tomorrow afternoon.

NYH1.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
oko
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Rider View Post
Great to see you back OKO!
Thanks! It will be a thin year for me (pun intended) because it's a busy Jan-Feb at work. But I'll try to get out when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
I want to go up tomorrow afternoon. NYH1.
I wouldn't think you'd be disapointed. Except for the amount of traffic.
NYH1 likes this.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 SWB Assault 800; 2016 SWB Pro-S 800
Previous Sled(s): Started on 1972 Yamaha 338
Favorite Riding Area: Away from the crowds
19-20 Mileage: 1026
18-19 Mileage: 2313
17-18 Mileage: 3870
16-17 Mileage: 936
Riding Since: 1987

Nice! I was up there too. Only place to go, really. I was the first rig in the lot, and the little snow event that deposited that fluffy snow was a freaking white out when I rode thru it. It snowed a lot harder to the northeast than it did in the forest. The worst of it was halfway from Montague up to Carthage at about 9. I'm on a tall-riding sled with a X tall windshield, and I was still moving at a crawl and busting drifts taller than the top of the shield. Choked out the air intake screens bad enough to kill the engine a couple times, lost the trail more than I found it, crossed a road that I never saw coming, that was plenty to turn me back. First time I can ever remember doing that on account of heavy snow. But I didn't want to go to Carthage bad enough to go through any more of that.

Snow was over by about 11 a.m. and I lunched trailside... My wait wasn't that long, but my sandwich was a little frozen. On the way down into Redfield found a DEC checkpoint at SRR/C5. They had a few pulled over awaiting badboy paper, looked like for no registration. Both ECOs were polite to me and got me on my way quick, but one asked me two-three times are you OK, are you sure you're OK? I said I'm fine, does it look like something's wrong? He said "you must have rolled your sled" ... I got down and took a look and sure enough it looked more like a snowball than a snowmobile.

After gas headed thru Osceola and toward the Camp roads and Tabolt's, that area was surprisingly good for how much traffic and snow there had been. From there back to the Forest and shook down a couple other sleds I had on the trailer, made it a 195 mile day with nothing broken, not bad for the first of the season. And not bad for a day where 90% of the time I was either breaking trail or pounding through lunar moguls.

At the very end of the day, the LEOs I saw earlier had responded to the Fed Ex truck. From what I could overhear, the driver's navigation abilities weren't his only problem ... "did he buy that CDL off the back of a cereal box?" I don't think that guy has a real bright future in the freight business. They were calling Van Houten's last I saw, to try to arrange a tow.

General observation, there is a LOT of pent up demand for snowmobiling going on around here. Yesterday was the most crowded weekday I have seen in a long time, maybe ever for a weekday. Today shapes up to be even busier. On the stretch of I-81 that I commute (exit 31 to exit 18) I counted 24 or 25 rigs northbound this morning, which is really unusual for a weekday. If you go be careful. There's still a LOT of water moving around under the snow.
Maximusthunder and NYH1 like this.
Wantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: salisbury, speculator, cny

we dropped below timberview. went to talbots, ran the railbed to north south, michigan mills, down to barrows, across to the truck trail and back to talbots. then out to flatrock an all the way to hook and ladder, culpepper, and on to barnes corners, towards adams sucked, too thin. lunch at tuggers, pretty quick there, and went to come out behind montague. water holes and huge moguls. went back and went to montague, the section of flatrock road from hook and ladder to the little bridge was beat to death. rector was nice, and even the fields were amazing. went almost to lowville, turned back and went west . came back in to rector , down rowsam, carey, took fykes to corrigan hill , stopped in the gorge, back to talbots and the truck. talbot road was wooped. 130 miles. big thanks to the clubs who make it happen. what an awesome day. very busy, and almost all kept to their own side. of course a few coming at me sideways , but to be expected. some good size rock out there too , just rolling around on the trail.
sleepybrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2020 SBA 850
Previous Sled(s): 19 Indy XC,17 SBA,17 ProS 600 SB, 14 SBA 800, 09 D8,03 500
Favorite Riding Area: Off the beaten path
19-20 Mileage: 804
18-19 Mileage: 1380.9
17-18 Mileage: 1481
16-17 Mileage: 1152
Riding Since: 1990

We almost dropped at Wart Rd. Wednesday but opted for Little John Rd because I wasn't sure how the woods sections would be. Turns out that the gate was still closed at the top of Little John Dr. I prefer parking in the lots at Winnona but the DEC seems to be on a mission to shut all the connecting trails down up that way. S54 is one of my favorite side loops, hopefully it returns next season...

On a side note I couldn't believe the amount of trucks on Little John at 0930 when we arrived, looked like a Saturday! We waited over an hour for food at the Montague.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 SWB Assault 800; 2016 SWB Pro-S 800
Previous Sled(s): Started on 1972 Yamaha 338
Favorite Riding Area: Away from the crowds
19-20 Mileage: 1026
18-19 Mileage: 2313
17-18 Mileage: 3870
16-17 Mileage: 936
Riding Since: 1987

0 rigs northbound on 81 during this morning's commute ... what a difference a day and a half inch of rain makes ... what bullshit weather!
Wantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2020 SBA 850
Previous Sled(s): 19 Indy XC,17 SBA,17 ProS 600 SB, 14 SBA 800, 09 D8,03 500
Favorite Riding Area: Off the beaten path
19-20 Mileage: 804
18-19 Mileage: 1380.9
17-18 Mileage: 1481
16-17 Mileage: 1152
Riding Since: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantry View Post
0 rigs northbound on 81 during this morning's commute ... what a difference a day and a half inch of rain makes ... what bullshit weather!
RITE! Hopefully it turns around for February/March...
Advertisement