360 miles 2/16-17/2018 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Vermont This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 MXZX 1200
Previous Sled(s): 15 900 gade 08 gade 05 mxz 600 SX600R
Favorite Riding Area: NEK
Riding Since: 1996
Default 360 miles 2/16-17/2018

I made plans earlier in the week to have another crack at the Woodford to Berlin run after the failed attempt last week but the warmup and rain dashed that plan. So we headed to our ol reliable spot, the VAST lot in North Concord. We were on the trail around 8:30. Headed across the Rt2 and up 102f to 2/5 and then on towards the Pipeline. The trails were perfect all the way. Headed east on the pipeline and stopped at the Serbi Crossing to pay our respects and decide which way to head. The pipeline was just about as good as it gets so we headed towards Lancaster. Jason had never been so we headed to the Summer Home of John Weeks to check it out. The trails across the river were pretty beat but very passable. After that we headed north thru Groveton and crossed back into Vermont at the North Stratford crossing. Refueled at had a nice lunch at DeBanvilles in Bloomfield. Ran into Mountain Man and Yamadude who were just finishing up their lunch break, nice meeting you guys finally after about 15 or more years! After lunch we crossed at the Stone Dam and up 106C to 96, Oh My Goodness!! It was the trail of the day, epic conditions, perhaps the best I have ever seen it. Wide, flat, fast, the trail of any snowmobilers dream! then we went down 97 to 102A back up 102, down 114 to trail 2000, then down 111 to 114 into IP plenty of snow all the way. Jason wanted to show me Mr Pools trail so we took that, unreal is all I can say. We went down his new trail to the lake and followed the GPS trail on the lake to find the trail into Morgan and back to 105, took it to Derby, passed the groomer along the way. Had a fine dinner at the Cow Palace and checked into the four seasons for the night. Got up early with Jay Peak as our destination. with OS1-OS6 being closed we headed down 14C to the southern crossing of the lake and rode the lake north to the 105 trail, took that west thru Newport Center, spectacular day, crisp cold air, not a cloud in the sky and trails better than I have personally seen in a few years. We banged a right on 120 and headed for Richford mountain, the trail up never disappoints, this is the trail to snowmobile heaven IMO. Stopped at the top for the obligatory photo op and continued west. The trail was beautiful but very few sleds had passed over it.. Make me a little worried but I'll take it at face value. Love this trail, it is like a roller coaster, crossed Vt 105 and it was sweet, I was rolling right along, came over a crest in the trail an there it is a huge 6-8 foot wide water bar with a two foot embankment of solid ice on each side. The ol 1200 fit right in it perfectly, skis all nestled under the ice supported by the snow flap on the back side. Took us about a 1/2 hour to wrestle the tank out of there. The Cat turbo pulled it like a tow truck.. No damage done, so we turned around and headed south, refueled at the Jay Country store and continued south to trail 100 and some other trails whose numbers escape me. The conditions were just beautiful, I never expected to see it so nice, beautiful weather a trail thru the woods opening to a spectacular view again and again. We saw the big fans on the mountain ridge from every perspective. On into Morrisville had a great lunch at 10 Depot and upon leaving saw 4 groomer come right out of the trail by the restaurant in the center of town?? Different clubs too. Two headed east and two headed west. We headed back east taking the rail trail, met up with the Danville groomer not far from the 2/5 trail chatted with those guys for a bit, they were just done getting the drag unstuck. We then took 2/5 back to the rig arriving about 6:15. Two fantastic days of riding. I dread the coming warm up but I think the base will hold in a lot of areas. Come on winter, don't let me down now..
sael, rich7, SnowBuggy and 3 others like this.
daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Great ride, great area. Glad you were not hurt parking your "tank" in the water bar. I have been thrown down the trail like a curling puck on similar, hope the club roped off that area.
Thumb2bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '16 Axys Pro-S LE
Previous Sled(s): doo , yam , pol.
Favorite Riding Area: Vt, Maine
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 2085
17-18 Mileage: 1782
16-17 Mileage: 1710
Riding Since: 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper View Post
I think the base will hold in a lot of areas. Come on winter, don't let me down now..
rich7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 850 Renegade X
Previous Sled(s): Lots of Doo's
Favorite Riding Area: Where the snow is deeeep
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: Not Enough
17-18 Mileage: never enough
16-17 Mileage: Not Enough
Riding Since: 2002

Jealous for sure, sounds like a great ride....man this weather deal has me worried as well, the southern part of the state I feel will be done
qwick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 GSX1200 4-Stroke
Previous Sled(s): Arctic Cat, Yamaha
Favorite Riding Area: NEK, Vermont
Riding Since: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper View Post
I made plans earlier in the week to have another crack at the Woodford to Berlin run after the failed attempt last week but the warmup and rain dashed that plan. So we headed to our ol reliable spot, the VAST lot in North Concord. We were on the trail around 8:30. Headed across the Rt2 and up 102f to 2/5 and then on towards the Pipeline. The trails were perfect all the way. Headed east on the pipeline and stopped at the Serbi Crossing to pay our respects and decide which way to head. The pipeline was just about as good as it gets so we headed towards Lancaster. Jason had never been so we headed to the Summer Home of John Weeks to check it out. The trails across the river were pretty beat but very passable. After that we headed north thru Groveton and crossed back into Vermont at the North Stratford crossing. Refueled at had a nice lunch at DeBanvilles in Bloomfield. Ran into Mountain Man and Yamadude who were just finishing up their lunch break, nice meeting you guys finally after about 15 or more years! After lunch we crossed at the Stone Dam and up 106C to 96, Oh My Goodness!! It was the trail of the day, epic conditions, perhaps the best I have ever seen it. Wide, flat, fast, the trail of any snowmobilers dream! then we went down 97 to 102A back up 102, down 114 to trail 2000, then down 111 to 114 into IP plenty of snow all the way. Jason wanted to show me Mr Pools trail so we took that, unreal is all I can say. We went down his new trail to the lake and followed the GPS trail on the lake to find the trail into Morgan and back to 105, took it to Derby, passed the groomer along the way. Had a fine dinner at the Cow Palace and checked into the four seasons for the night. Got up early with Jay Peak as our destination. with OS1-OS6 being closed we headed down 14C to the southern crossing of the lake and rode the lake north to the 105 trail, took that west thru Newport Center, spectacular day, crisp cold air, not a cloud in the sky and trails better than I have personally seen in a few years. We banged a right on 120 and headed for Richford mountain, the trail up never disappoints, this is the trail to snowmobile heaven IMO. Stopped at the top for the obligatory photo op and continued west. The trail was beautiful but very few sleds had passed over it.. Make me a little worried but I'll take it at face value. Love this trail, it is like a roller coaster, crossed Vt 105 and it was sweet, I was rolling right along, came over a crest in the trail an there it is a huge 6-8 foot wide water bar with a two foot embankment of solid ice on each side. The ol 1200 fit right in it perfectly, skis all nestled under the ice supported by the snow flap on the back side. Took us about a 1/2 hour to wrestle the tank out of there. The Cat turbo pulled it like a tow truck.. No damage done, so we turned around and headed south, refueled at the Jay Country store and continued south to trail 100 and some other trails whose numbers escape me. The conditions were just beautiful, I never expected to see it so nice, beautiful weather a trail thru the woods opening to a spectacular view again and again. We saw the big fans on the mountain ridge from every perspective. On into Morrisville had a great lunch at 10 Depot and upon leaving saw 4 groomer come right out of the trail by the restaurant in the center of town?? Different clubs too. Two headed east and two headed west. We headed back east taking the rail trail, met up with the Danville groomer not far from the 2/5 trail chatted with those guys for a bit, they were just done getting the drag unstuck. We then took 2/5 back to the rig arriving about 6:15. Two fantastic days of riding. I dread the coming warm up but I think the base will hold in a lot of areas. Come on winter, don't let me down now..
Trip, you are a snowmobiling inspiration to us all!
pondhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 Polaris Indy SP
Previous Sled(s): 2004 Sabre Cat LX 700 2000 Yamaha Sxr 700, 1995 Zr 580,
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1250
17-18 Mileage: 1220
Riding Since: 1984

Hey great running into you daytripper, like you say nice putting a face to a name , been chatting and posting since your SXR days! gotta agree, great few day run, everything came together weather wise , cool temps, a little snow and some grooming magic. trail 120 really is the stairway to heaven , and 242 , rode 2/5 up from St J last week, always a good route, kind of feel bad for anyone coming up next week, like you said, hope this wasn't our swan song for the season

TEAM HOUDINI
yamadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 Ski Doo Renegade Enduro 1200
Previous Sled(s): 13 Polaris/Yamaha/Ski Doo
Favorite Riding Area: From the Hangover Inn
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1875
17-18 Mileage: 1976
16-17 Mileage: 1100
Riding Since: 1967

The VAST Military Ride was yesterday in Morrisville and I bet that's why the extra grooming.

Sent from Snowmobile.com App
Old 02-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 600R XC
Previous Sled(s): 2015 900X
Favorite Riding Area: Vermont & Maine

This torch is gonna hurt.
Back to Maine and Quebec yet again I'm afraid...
bedlam bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 14 Polaris SB,16 SkiDoo Grand Touring
Previous Sled(s): Ski Doo's
19-20 Mileage: 400
18-19 Mileage: 1200
17-18 Mileage: 2100
Riding Since: 1971

Great ride and report Mike, we were in the Jay area Sat , nice ride from Derby Line Village Inn to Jay Village Inn for lunch with 7 sleds and back. Was aware that there can be water hazards going thru there, but we did not see them. Trails were hard with a dusting on them, perfect. Had fun at the Driftdusters Bash, a great group, and happy sled winner, don't know his name. Think winter folks, Dave
1/4miledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 Polaris 800SB Pro R & Yamaha Viper
Previous Sled(s): 2011 Polaris 800 Rush
Favorite Riding Area: Start at Pittsfield

Nice ride....pulled out a map and traced out your path. Tried 105 a few times but stopped by the cornfields.
ekmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement