Hardcore Sledder banner

P.S.A. from the NH Fish & Game..Stay on the trail.

15K views 112 replies 27 participants last post by  SkisNH 
#1 ·
January 10, 2020

Captain Michael Eastman: (603) 271-3129
Jay Martin: (603) 271-3211
January 10, 2020

CONCORD, NH – The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department’s Law Enforcement Division is reminding snowmobilers to stay on established and marked trails during the 2020 season. The issues associated with off-trail riding have become an increasing problem, and there are now a growing number of complaints originating from landowners, especially in Coos County, directly related to snowmobilers riding off trail.

Most of New Hampshire’s almost 7,000 miles of snowmobile trails traverse private property that owners have willingly allowed access to for snowmobiling. The public’s use of private land remains a privilege, and it has been a long-standing tradition in the Granite State for landowners to allow others to use their property for recreational pursuits. Snowmobilers are responsible for caring for the lands that they enjoy in order to protect this privilege.

Taking a sled off the posted trail has a number of consequences. As snowmobiles delve into deeper powder, they damage the tops of small trees and kill others through excessive bark damage. This type of damage directly decreases future timber values for property owners.

Snowmobiling off trail in the wintering habitat of moose and deer causes increased stress for animals during the time of the year when they are most vulnerable. This increase in anxiety, and subsequent energy consumption, can have fatal consequences.

The marked increase in off-trail riding has led to costly and time-consuming rescues for New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Conservation Officers responding to snowmobile emergencies in remote locations far from legal trails. “We would like to eliminate this conduct before landowners close off all of their lands including legal trails, as well as to protect the wildlife resources and the riders themselves,” said NH Fish and Game Captain Michael Eastman, who oversees snowmobile and off-highway recreational vehicle enforcement and education. “It is essential that riders show consideration for private property and landowner wishes; no respect equals no trails.”

Snowmobilers may only ride on trails that are designated and signed as a snowmobile trail. Although many new snowmobiles are marketed toward, and capable of, operating in deep powder and off-trail, if it is not a signed trail, operators in New Hampshire must have written landowner permission to ride there.

As always, Fish and Game Conservation Officers will be patrolling and enforcing this law as well as speed limits. “We want to preserve the resource and ensure everyone’s safety while they are riding this season,” said Eastman.

To learn more about New Hampshire’s snowmobile regulations and to become familiar with this season’s new laws and fines visit https://wildlife.state.nh.us/ohrv/index.html.

Share this:

See less See more
#55 ·
Isn't the "right to ride anywhere I want" comparable to "The store didn't have a no shoplifting sign" so I assumed it was ok to do so?
We can justify our means to ourselves but our property rights truly end where another persons begins. Anyone caught can always contest it in court but I don't see that as a winning play.
I could be wrong.

#64 ·
For the couple spots in NH that are actually fun mountain riding i have a feeling if they added a huge fine and enforced it, it would likely just push the guys that don't bother anyone or anything out of the state and you would still have all the "offtrail" problems you have now wouldn't notice a bit of difference. Its a problem with people driving the sled directly from a groomed trail to somewhere they aren't supposed to like a trail that runs through someones backyard.

#72 ·
I had a nice conversation on the Pittsburg Ridge Runners facebook page earlier this year when someone posted pics of them up on the firetower on Magalloway Mt...they did not know that they were illegally off trail riding just to get to the base not to mention get up to the tower....I think the post has been taken down...people did not wanna hear it with excuses of "We have been doing it for years why should we stop"....that is an unmarked trail therefore illegal to ride on without landowner permission.

#77 ·
But they saw it on TV
They are not bothering anyone
There are no signs
Everyone else is doing it
Other people do it wrong

Excuses are not permission, wanna see the internet tough guy melt down ? Go tell them to knock on the owners door and ask. They are so afraid of being told no. Grown men full of fear over asking permission, now that's sad.

#78 ·
Mr. Boston's view of the world is: Unless you specifically tell me "No" then I'm going to do do what I want (and .... even if you tell me "No", I'm going to do what I want when you're not looking.)

It's all about ME ME ME ME ME ME ... and it's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to make sure I don't do something I shouldn't do (but I'm going to do it anyways!)

#82 ·
I've said this before... I'll say it here again, because this is mantra of "real" backcountry riders...

The first rule of boondocking is we don't talk about boondocking. The second rule of boondocking is WE DON'T FUCKING TALK ABOUT BOONDOCKING!! Get it??

This thread can be 100 pages long with people complaining about "long tracks" and off trail riding- but not one "real" mountain rider should open their mouth and post here. Only the jackholes are going to perpetuate this idiocy.

Everyone does illegal things. We all speed, some of you enjoy a federally illegal plant now and then... no one likes rules and laws. The key is to be as smart about it as possible. And when it comes to boondocking, if you are a real boondock rider you don't fucking talk about your illegal actions! You stay quiet about your spots and are careful about who you bring into your gang. You do your best to ride in areas that aren't heavy traffic areas. You don't ride in active logging areas or new growth plots. You certainly don't ride anywhere near the god damn Balsams. And if you get caught you pay the fine and also shut up about it- it's part of the price of admission. Now that the fine has increased, every time you ride the woods you should expect a $248 award for your efforts. Big deal! You have a $15k machine on the East Coast that if you are very, VERY lucky is useable 6 weekends in a season. If you can't afford 6 of these $248 fines, then sell that sled and join a tiddlywink league. Or just go park that big stick with it's Khaos wrap in front of the Buck Rub and see how many guys you can get hard as they walk by.

Ricky Racer is breaking the law with his clutched and piped short track trail sled doing 85 on a public trail. Mr. Boondock is breaking the law by riding off trail. Both put our trail system at risk. And both those two should keep their whore mouths shut about what they do.

#84 ·
Do not include me in your we as I learned a long time ago as a young man that the only way to get busted was to take action, try self control.
My friends that go off trail buy a plane ticket and hire a guide the gut their bank accounts and when asked about up north in New England they all say the same thing. We are to old and have enough money not to have anything to explain to the judge.
One of these days I will head west before I get much older. Really would like to spend time on a snow bike as I race Woods/Ice/MX and track days the street bikes and it really looks like fun. Just don't see spending that much money for a 12 week sport when your often times not welcome to begin with.

#93 ·
While you aren't wrong clearly there are more riders on trail than off trail, and perhaps by a large margin. It would be like saying more people die from on road accidents in their vehicles than driving off road. When you factor in the number of "rookie riders" on sleds I would suggest 99% of the rental and new rider are on trail unless they fail to negotiate a corner and then they temporarily become 10 feet "off trail" riders :)
I would tend to agree that off trail would be safer due to the volume on trail.

#108 ·
I was at Mom's in Groveton preseason, talking to one of the shop guys.
Early season brings great repair and front end part sales as the snow isn't deep enough to protect from rocks and stumps. Can't imagine damaging my new sled and then having to wait for parts to show up due to any backlog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.