P.S.A. from the NH Fish & Game..Stay on the trail. - Page 4 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

New Hampshire This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #31 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): XRS 800 e-tec, MXZ 600, MXZ 500
Previous Sled(s): RevX 440, RevX 600, MachZ 800
Favorite Riding Area: Stubb Hill Pond
Riding Since: 1998

Just do what they did with skimming...slap a MASSIVE fine on it. The fine for a can is peanuts to most. I think there's been a significant drop in skimming due to the harsh cost of being caught.

You're never going to resolve all of the problems, there's no perfect answer. Short track, long track, doesn't matter...if people want to go off trail they will. It's not just logging roads. People see the massive fields and think it's a great idea to go just play in powder without thinking of the repercussions. Everyone's just beating a dead horse all over again. Ride as much as your can and ride legally...the sport will be diminishing over time. It's not just trail closures, the volunteers do a ton of work and get frustrated over the hard work put in a destroyed by the few that can't obey. People can tolerate minor fines and play dumb, if you want something to have an impact, make it material enough for people to reconsider (monetarily, and give them the opportunity to appeal if it was truly an honest mistake or misunderstanding...I'm not talking impound sleds like I've heard in the past).
too slow, snorander and EvilBird like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sled above is since gone...but I like the picture
bnbelim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #32 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHsledda View Post
Offtrail is not going to just go away, I think the clubs are going to be the ones that get stuck with it and will be forced to step up and figure out what to do, even if they don’t want to or keep facing closures.

Increased registration for offtrail type sleds for land management?

Dedicated large tracts of land for offtrail where the extra registration monies would go for “fixing broken tree tops”?

Why is it overlooked in Maine? Do their tree tops not break”

My post wasn’t intended to create banter, but rather questions.
Maine has way more land in the middle of nowhere that no one cares about. For the most part all the complaints you hear about "offtrail riding" are in congested areas where some trail rider blasted off the trail and ripped around someones field in front of their house that might be a tree farm or something. Theres no problems with driving into the middle of nowhere and riding a mountain, you wont hear complaints from anyone about that. Maine has alot more of those areas compared to NH.
NE Snowdog likes this.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #33 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 Back Country
Previous Sled(s): 2009 Apex, 1980 Polaris Star
Favorite Riding Area: The Burg
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1500
17-18 Mileage: 2K
16-17 Mileage: 400
Riding Since: 1977

Another issue I was discussing this last weekend is a property owner on the VT side up near Pittsburg had his logging equipment parked. Supposedly a F+G reported it was leaking oil. State came in ans slapped a big fine on him.

He shut down all of his property immediately after.
MarkEKberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2020, 04:27 PM   #34 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 MX-Z 600
Previous Sled(s): 1968 Panther, 1972 SL292, 1973 AMF, 1980 EX340, 1982 EN300,
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1000
Riding Since: 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshiddy112 View Post
Maine has way more land in the middle of nowhere that no one cares about. For the most part all the complaints you hear about "offtrail riding" are in congested areas where some trail rider blasted off the trail and ripped around someones field in front of their house that might be a tree farm or something. Theres no problems with driving into the middle of nowhere and riding a mountain, you wont hear complaints from anyone about that. Maine has alot more of those areas compared to NH.
Not at all true as every inch of America is owned buy someone or something and that someone or something is always watching.
Trails do not appear out of nothing they go in with the permission of the land owner or their agent. That wide open space isn't there for a free for all and people who don't get that get it closed.
Doomxz600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:52 PM   #35 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 Pro RMK 163
Previous Sled(s): 2016 Pro RMK 155
Favorite Riding Area: Maine

Look up Maine Advocates for Responsible Backcountry and you will see why Maine is way ahead of NH in respect to off trail riding legally
NE Snowdog likes this.
bruins55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:33 PM   #36 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins55 View Post
Look up Maine Advocates for Responsible Backcountry and you will see why Maine is way ahead of NH in respect to off trail riding legally
Anything more than that facebook page, that's what comes up.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomxz600 View Post
Quote:
Not at all true as every inch of America is owned buy someone or something and that someone or something is always watching.
Trails do not appear out of nothing they go in with the permission of the land owner or their agent. That wide open space isn't there for a free for all and people who don't get that get it closed.
I knew someone on this site would say something like this. Obviously its all owned by someone. I doubt whoever owns a million acres in the middle of nowhere walks the land every winter to make sure no one is on it. Where i ride there arent even snowmobile trails to get to the spots. We unload and ride through woods or unplowed logging roads. No one there to care, no wardens, no other people. Ever. The “offtrail” in this thread is for trail riders that see a big open spot while riding the trail in a congested built up town and rip it all up and the landowner gets pissy because it happens every year. For the most part its a teenager just having fun not caring. And it will never change. What most people on this site dont realize is theres other “offtrail” riders that you will never see when riding your trails. Judging by how many longtracks are in the northeast these days it wont be long til theres more “offtrail” guys than trail guys if it hasnt already happened.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:43 PM   #38 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 Pro RMK 163
Previous Sled(s): 2016 Pro RMK 155
Favorite Riding Area: Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomxz600 View Post
Anything more than that facebook page, that's what comes up.
I would give you a link to the website but its down for some reason
bruins55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:04 PM   #39 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 18 RMK, Z440, Panther, 17RMK600, puma, bravo
Previous Sled(s): arctic rats
Favorite Riding Area: SDR/mudget mt. area, home
19-20 Mileage: 1
18-19 Mileage: 1780
17-18 Mileage: 1,350
16-17 Mileage: 750
Riding Since: 1983

[QUOTE=jshiddy112;20352248]I knew someone on this site would say something like this. Obviously its all owned by someone. I doubt whoever owns a million acres in the middle of nowhere walks the land every winter to make sure no one is on it. Where i ride there arent even snowmobile trails to get to the spots. We unload and ride through woods or unplowed logging roads. No one there to care, no wardens, no other people. Ever. The “offtrail” in this thread is for trail riders that see a big open spot while riding the trail in a congested built up town and rip it all up and the landowner gets pissy because it happens every year. For the most part its a teenager just having fun not caring. And it will never change. What most people on this site dont realize is theres other “offtrail” riders that you will never see when riding your trails. Judging by how many longtracks are in the northeast these days it wont be long til theres more “offtrail” guys than trail guys if it hasnt already happened.[/QUOTE

you will never see those “other” off-trail riders posting about off-trail.. long ways before they outnumber trail burners.

Unfortunately it’s both offtrail locations in NH, congested offtrail and in the middle of nowhere offtrail are the issues.
EvilBird and Doomxz600 like this.
NHsledda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #40 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:

Quote:
I knew someone on this site would say something like this. Obviously its all owned by someone. I doubt whoever owns a million acres in the middle of nowhere walks the land every winter to make sure no one is on it. Where i ride there arent even snowmobile trails to get to the spots. We unload and ride through woods or unplowed logging roads. No one there to care, no wardens, no other people. Ever. The “offtrail” in this thread is for trail riders that see a big open spot while riding the trail in a congested built up town and rip it all up and the landowner gets pissy because it happens every year. For the most part its a teenager just having fun not caring. And it will never change. What most people on this site dont realize is theres other “offtrail” riders that you will never see when riding your trails. Judging by how many longtracks are in the northeast these days it wont be long til theres more “offtrail” guys than trail guys if it hasnt already happened.
Gonna need a moment to follow your links and fact check your data.
EvilBird likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement