Hardcore Sledder banner

Rail bed, Waterville through Norridgedwock

25K views 77 replies 13 participants last post by  polarisxc700 
#1 ·
So Iv'e been hearing rumors that the inactive rail bed from Waterville through Oakland and on up to Madison has or will be purchased by the state and made into a recreation trail. That would be great if it included the bridge spanning the Kennebec in Norridgewock.

That could connect to the existing rail bed in Anson and beyond and be a game changer for those southern towns that have to contend with the rivers to get up north throughout the season.

Does anyone have any confirmation or additional info on this?

#63 ·
Any new word on if the lower part (Oakland-Norridgewock-Madison) of the railbed trail will be open this year. If so is the plan to be able to cross through downtown Norridgewock following the actual railbed to head north to Madison. I understand from previous post that the railroad bridge in Norridgewock is not in the works for this year, there is also a small bridge over Mill Steam in town that might also need to be addressed , so that would mean crossing the concrete Bridge and then somehow getting to the railroad bed to head north. One more question any update on a Park and Ride heard there was a possibility of one in Oakland
Thanks

#64 ·
Park and ride in Norridgewock on Martin stream rd is complete, but kind of moot at this point since the rail bridge over the kennebec is not complete. Nothing will happen with little bridge over Mill Stream this year. State said they would address it next year when trestle is being worked. My info tells me rail bed is closed from Norridgewock to Madison. Best would be to trailer to Madison Kennebec boat launch to unload. We, (Norridgewock Sportsman Association) fenced off the rail bed to the north from where the trail crossing the fields on Martin Stream road intersects the rail bed. I believe the bed will be open to Oakland from there, but don't quote me on that.

#66 ·
I'm going to correct myself a bit here. Guess the park and ride isn't totally moot. Can still run the bed to the fence and go left through the field to connect to 87, or go right and to skowhegan and again when river is frozen get on 87 there.

#78 ·
At this point it ends at what is known as the Blake Rd trail in Oakland just before the tracks cross ten lots road. Would love to see it go into downtown Oakland. Was first track out of Oakland last week it certainly is going to open up a lot of area for local riders. I can imagine it will be very busy on the weekends.