Rangeley Airport Extension Project - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Maine This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 3,000
Default Rangeley Airport Extension Project

Hope everyone has been having a great summer, the temperature has been dropping pretty fast up here as Fall is getting closer and I can't wait for winter to arrive again.

I'm sure some of you might have heard through the news by now about the possible runway extension project in Rangeley and I figured I would give everyone on here a brief overview of it since this project will benefit our great snowmobiling community in very helpful way.

How this project originated was LifeFlight of Maine put in a request for a grant from the FAA (who periodically grants money for airport upgrades in town) to extend Rangeley's runway to allow their King Air 200 to operate out of our airport. The current length is 3,201 feet, and based upon the recent analysis by the engineering firm, they are requesting a 1,099 foot extension for 4,300' total.

The main benefit of this extension is to provide reliable emergency medical service to our region. Last year LifeFlight was called in 40 times, but due to our rapidly changing weather in the mountains, they were only able to reach us 26 times last year. Those are JUST the times they were called, there were other times that EMS knew they couldn't operate so they did not place the call. With the helicopter, if there is any major cloud cover around our 4,000' peaks in the winter, then they cannot operate. Their King Air 200 can fly in much adverse weather in comparison to their helicopter, and with outdoor recreation and MAJOR part of our town, this was a worth while request by LifeFlight. Being all snowmobilers on here, this would be a major deal for us if you are anywhere in the vicinity of the Rangeley Airport. When that helo can't fly and your family member or friend is in critical condition out there, that King Air could be the difference between life and death.
Their presentations at the local meetings have been incredible. That King Air has ICU level medical equipment on board, they have medication on board that most hospitals in the state have trouble stocking. To me, this is a no-brainer. Ultimately the FAA will fund 90% of this project and MaineDOT 5%, the remaining 5% they are working on obtaining another grant for as well, so the local taxpayers will pay zero. The FAA get's the funding money through the taxation of airline tickets and other airline related venues to fund these projects.

If any of you own a camp in the area or even come up to ride occasionally in the Western Mountains that would like to support this project or just think it is a great idea and potentially be willing to write a small letter of support, I would be happy to help you get it to the town office. There are some within our government that don't want to see this project happen, so a lot of us have been writing letters of support and also attending each informational meeting. As a resident and avid outdoorsman to this town, I desperately hope that they allow this to go through for the sake of potentially saving someones life.

Thank you all for reading! I will try to keep you all updated on progress too, and other questions you might have.

Last edited by SummitX864; 09-01-2017 at 10:59 PM.
SummitX864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 Skidoo GSX 1200, 2019 Skidoo 900 Adrenal
Previous Sled(s): 08 700 Dragon, RX-1,Renegade,Classic,SaberCat,
Favorite Riding Area: Eagle Lake & Jackman
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 3400
Riding Since: 1981

Why in the world would anyone object to this cause? Thanks for the update and good luck.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngdman View Post
Why in the world would anyone object to this cause? Thanks for the update and good luck.
Some people don't like change, some don't see the end result, only the initial bottom line.

Here is a write up I did on it if anyone is interested.

https://niume.com/post/357376

Old 09-07-2017, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 07 Yamaha Apex,16 Viper LTX LE,99 XCSP 500
Previous Sled(s): 79 Jag,89 Indy 650, 2004 Firecat Fighter
Favorite Riding Area: Jackman,County and Pittsburg
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 785
16-17 Mileage: 300
Riding Since: 1983

keep after it....Seems like a great way to spend our tax dollars. Thanks for fighting the fight.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:

Well the selectman's meeting went good Tuesday night. Had an awesome turnout, the room was so filled there were over 20 some people in the hall listening in. Mostly all were there in support. They ended up voting 4-1 to proceed with the environmental impact study and to go with their preferred extension option (splitting the expansion on both ends). I will keep everyone posted on the next public meeting ( I think it is around the end of the month). By then they should know from the FAA on what they are allowed to add for length.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement