One more death - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Maine This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Ski doo MXZ TNT 850
Previous Sled(s): Legend600,2009 MXZ 800, Polaris
Favorite Riding Area: MAINE, NEW YORK, VT
Riding Since: 1974
Default Riding at night

Riding at night is crazy. Ask my buddy who hit a deer on the trail at night doin 60. Don't ride at night. The deer are out on the snowmobile trails plus your ability to control the sled has been greatly reduced by darkness.
legend600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2017, 06:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend600 View Post
Riding at night is crazy. Ask my buddy who hit a deer on the trail at night doin 60. Don't ride at night. The deer are out on the snowmobile trails plus your ability to control the sled has been greatly reduced by darkness.

When I first got back into the sport a number of years ago, I was constantly bit*hing about wanting to do a night ride. One day we got turned around due to trail closures, got ourselves all mixed up and didn't make it back to Kingfield until 8-8:30 pm. I told our trip master that I was all done yearning for a night ride. I'm not going to do 50 on a trail where I can only see the next 2 or 3 moguls/turns etc. Like someone said above, all of your potential problems on the trail are worse at night.
PS I did/do like the fact that you can see headlights of oncoming sleds sooner though.
screwauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 TNT 850 2016 Blizzard 900
Favorite Riding Area: Millinocket north.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 2000
16-17 Mileage: 1100
Riding Since: 78

I love night riding , my wife and I plan at least one ride per trip that brings us back well after dark.The views can be spectacular from the lookouts and as long as you don't outrun your headlight you're fine.
Like someone else said you can see oncoming traffic ( what little there is) much better. Riding on lakes at night is something we avoid , far too hard to navigate.
baconator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '16 ZR 6000 RR

Too bad the deer and moose don't use headlights, or tail lights for that matter. I avoid riding at night like the plague. Like it's been mentioned..... problems on the trail become exacerbated once the sun sets. The poor fellow that just passed in Sidney, may he RIP, had become separated from his group, and was no doubt in a tizzy to find them
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconator View Post
I love night riding , my wife and I plan at least one ride per trip that brings us back well after dark.The views can be spectacular from the lookouts and as long as you don't outrun your headlight you're fine.
Like someone else said you can see oncoming traffic ( what little there is) much better. Riding on lakes at night is something we avoid , far too hard to navigate.
oldrider54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 Ski Doo Renegade 900T Enduro
Previous Sled(s): Yamaha, Cat, Polaris
Favorite Riding Area: Allagash
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 950

I just slow way down at night. But I do far prefer to be eating and drinking at night rather than riding.
jethroxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 TNT 850 2016 Blizzard 900
Favorite Riding Area: Millinocket north.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 2000
16-17 Mileage: 1100
Riding Since: 78

I have seen a few deer hit in broad daylight , including one that totalled a sled this past new years day. I have yet to see the northern lights during the day. But nothing good comes from being on lakes at night , and riding in general after midnight.
baconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2009 Dragon SP 800
Favorite Riding Area: Snow
16-17 Mileage: 2000
Riding Since: 2014

Trail riding at night is great, just a little slower. On coming sleds are seen miles away, if there are any at all...
You guys mention deer being a problem but its just as bad during the day, if a deer runs out of tree line your not seeing it day or night at speed till your right on top of it.

Lakes on the other hand... No reference points, way to easy to get lost, and feel the need to speed up to find your group.
Advertisement