Ideas to raise $$ for Maine Trail Systems - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Maine This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 18 SKS 146", 19 ASSAULT 850, 17 Voyageur 155"
Previous Sled(s): 2015 Pro-S 800, 2013 Pro-R 800, 2010 Rush 600, 1995 XLT 600
Favorite Riding Area: Western Mountains of Maine
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1500
17-18 Mileage: 1365
16-17 Mileage: 1400
Riding Since: 1980
Default Ideas to raise $$ for Maine Trail Systems

Looking for constructive ideas that will raise money for Maine Clubs to better be able to maintain their Trail Systems. I'm hoping to hear from Clubs, Riders and Polititions. Some have said that NH trails are better maintained because they pay an extra $20 more than we do here in Maine. Should we raise our Registration Fee's? Should we make it mandatory to join a club of your choice? I'm personally a member of M.S.A and 4 clubs in areas I frequently ride in. ((Rumford, Roxbury, Newry and Rangeley.)) So I for one don't at all mind throwing some extra money at helping our Clubs keep our trails in good shape. Grooming is expensive and not the only part of the expenses that come from properly maintaining our systems here in Maine. I beleive Volunteers should be compensated for their time. Grooming is a Winter expense as we know BUT Bridges need maintenance, Tree's branches, brush, etc. need to be taken care of. Much of this work can be done in the off season and if more money was available you would see more done. Maybe some perc's for landowners that volunteer to let us use their property?? I'm open to hearing EVERYBODY'S opinions and ideas. Please do weigh in with your thoughts.
LET'S STICK TOGETHER, MAKE A PETITION OR START A MOVEMENT. We can ALL benefit from a better trail system state wide. Certain areas have seen businesses thrive from snowmobiling. I beleive more businesses could also prosper from better trail systems. We all know areas that have become the popular destinations for riders. If more money was put into some of the areas that weren't so popular we could develope a wider spanse of Good trail systems to spread out some of the pressure on these popular riding areas. More businesses could prosper, more riders, more miles, more money to go around!! Get involved, lets here your thoughts.
jmaxdox is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I am hoping we can come up with some other ideas than the over discussed raising the registration fee or mandatory club joining. These have been beat to death.

1. Years that southern Maine does not have enough snow to groom, there is a way for them to distribute SOME of the money they recieve to the clubs that are grooming late into the season
2. A better MSA website with snow cams conditions a forum etc and charge for advertising on that site? Vendors could get their businesses out there like the mats at a resteraunt you eat at. The website would have to offer more in order to be able to charge any real money for this.
a. Ways to donate (Paypal, Credit Card) to certain clubs online. Easy to do and you dont have to have cash on you so maybe more likely to donate before you go ride their trails?
3. I am not sure how it works sorry, but what about businesses donating to an area they are in. Maybe offer some sort of commercial membership to a club and offer special signage or advertising for those businesses
4. Do we pay the MSA people? Maybe we could look for volunteers in their place and more money would go to the clubs?

These are just suggestions please dont flame if the are already in place or not practical. I was multi tasking at work.
race24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 Apex XTX
Favorite Riding Area: Bridgton/Rangeley
Riding Since: 1980

"I am hoping we can come up with some other ideas than the over discussed raising the registration fee or mandatory club joining."

I sorry but the single best way to raise substantial additional money for clubs is to require membership to a club. My understanding was that Bob Meyers of the MSA was NOT in favor of this. Until MSA (our voice) supports this it will never happen.
04700xcxp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Have a $25 trail pass that is mandatory to ride ITS trails in addition to current registration. This solves the problem of all the guys that say they only ice fish and it's still cheaper to ride than anywhere else.
In addition to that we should have GPS trackers in every groomer that gets State money and clubs should be paid by the mile for what they groom. I think we would have more than enough money by doing it this way that we could raise the amounts paid out for capital equipment grants so clubs wouldn't have to rely as much on municipal and club grants to make their groomer payments. Bottom line...if you ride the trail you pay and if you groom the trail you get paid.
Lake Parlin Lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 SKI-DOO Backcountry 850X
Previous Sled(s): 2018 skidoo summit 850X
Favorite Riding Area: steep and deep
Riding Since: 80's

i think more people should take part in doing there part in grooming. instead of hardcoresledding all the time build a drag you can drag behind your sled spend an hour dragging trails near your house if more people did that would make a big difference .i made this small drag up. works great only drag a mile or so near my but makes a big difference on hi traffic days .and i use plastic culvert pipe with a log in it to pack fresh powder down ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0068.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	1321153   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0065.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	1321161  
die hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Cats
Previous Sled(s): Cats
Favorite Riding Area: The County
19-20 Mileage: 2,660
18-19 Mileage: 3,410
17-18 Mileage: 2,363
16-17 Mileage: 2,556
Riding Since: 89'

Scrap the Augusta show and start an MSA sponsored event similar to Epping that takes place in late August or early September that avoids conflicting with Hayday's. I know it would take a ton of resources and time to grow into any resemblance of the Race into Winter event but it would be profitable for the MSA and could be a profit sharing opportunity for the clubs that get involved. I think you would find most of the vendors would welcome a new event. Not to mention we are dying to see more high level races.
CRP714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 SkiDoo MXZ Sport 600 Carb
Favorite Riding Area: Vermont, NEK
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 2
17-18 Mileage: 375
16-17 Mileage: 250
Riding Since: 1972

Good suggestions so far keep up the good input.

My/site intent is to see this thread stay on topic, if someone gets out of line, "report this post" button is 3rd from left option under someone's avatar on the post in question, with a brief description, and it comes across our plate to deal with.

When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.
Sixdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 17 XFXC 9k LTD and a 14 ZR 7k LTD
Previous Sled(s): Many (all Cats)
Favorite Riding Area: Katahdin region
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 3418
17-18 Mileage: 3189
16-17 Mileage: 3287
Riding Since: 70s

This group is trying like hell to get something going for the club along with grooming but need our (Mainers) support with the Sled Maine plate.

/GROOM.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 Ski Doo Enduro 900 Turbo
Previous Sled(s): 2011 Ski Doo Renegade 1200, 2006 Ski Doo Renegade 600 SDI
Favorite Riding Area: Rockwood/Millinocket
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 2100
17-18 Mileage: 2500
16-17 Mileage: 1900
Riding Since: 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Parlin Lodge View Post
Have a $25 trail pass that is mandatory to ride ITS trails in addition to current registration. This solves the problem of all the guys that say they only ice fish and it's still cheaper to ride than anywhere else.
In addition to that we should have GPS trackers in every groomer that gets State money and clubs should be paid by the mile for what they groom. I think we would have more than enough money by doing it this way that we could raise the amounts paid out for capital equipment grants so clubs wouldn't have to rely as much on municipal and club grants to make their groomer payments. Bottom line...if you ride the trail you pay and if you groom the trail you get paid.

Great idea IMO.
whit6419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Advanced Member

On a smaller level, during big weekends maybe setup a "toll" type of setup that accepts donations. A lot of fire departments and special Olympics type of operations do that here in maine - Put a sign up, have people standing on each side of the traffic, accept a donation (give a sticker) and move on. Easy way to collect a few bucks.
MisterWister likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Arctic Cat F800 SnoPro RR
2000 Ski Doo MXZ 700
skiguy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement