Ideas to raise $$ for Maine Trail Systems - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Maine This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2015, 07:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 18 SKS 146", 19 ASSAULT 850, 17 Voyageur 155"
Previous Sled(s): 2015 Pro-S 800, 2013 Pro-R 800, 2010 Rush 600, 1995 XLT 600
Favorite Riding Area: Western Mountains of Maine
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1500
17-18 Mileage: 1365
16-17 Mileage: 1400
Riding Since: 1980

Does anybody have any idea how the $40 Maine Registration Fee is currently dispursed to Clubs? What percentage they get? Who gets what? What happens when certain Clubs get money and don't really even hardly Groom their trails. I'd like a better idea how the current plan in place operates?
jmaxdox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #22 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxdox View Post
Does anybody have any idea how the $40 Maine Registration Fee is currently dispursed to Clubs? What percentage they get? Who gets what? What happens when certain Clubs get money and don't really even hardly Groom their trails. I'd like a better idea how the current plan in place operates?
I think the reg fee thru the state (thieves) is a good thing to find out more about too.

I do think the real and most important piece is adding a additional mandatory membership....you pick the club...at least $50 if not $60 to them or even split between up to 2 clubs.

Those clubs who earn it and have the most traffic get the most members/increase. Sorry to say it is a expensive sport and not for everyone. Thats reality.

My rides last Sat/Sun were worth that to me alone. Our trails are amazing.
eastmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #23 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 Rengade Enduro 1200
Previous Sled(s): 10 Gade 1200, 05 Gade X 800, 03 LegendGade 800SDI, more...
Favorite Riding Area: Shin Pond, The County, Quebec
19-20 Mileage: 2600
18-19 Mileage: 2450
Riding Since: 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Parlin Lodge View Post
Have a $25 trail pass that is mandatory to ride ITS trails in addition to current registration. This solves the problem of all the guys that say they only ice fish and it's still cheaper to ride than anywhere else.
In addition to that we should have GPS trackers in every groomer that gets State money and clubs should be paid by the mile for what they groom. I think we would have more than enough money by doing it this way that we could raise the amounts paid out for capital equipment grants so clubs wouldn't have to rely as much on municipal and club grants to make their groomer payments. Bottom line...if you ride the trail you pay and if you groom the trail you get paid.
I like that idea but feel the trail pass should be more in the order of at least $50.

So for those of you that belong to the MSA, you should have seen in the latest Maine Snowmobiler that the legislature is looking into a couple of bills related to fee increases and how to improve snowmobiling.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, contact your local Representative and voice your opinions on these. The more of them that we can get on our side, the better chance that this could pass.

I don't know the exact wording of these bills yet but they must be better than what we have now....its a start.

"The older I get the faster I used to be
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Trail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 Ski Doo Blizzard 900 Ace
Previous Sled(s): 2011 Yamaha Vector LTX, 2005 Yamaha Vector,
Favorite Riding Area: central/northern vermont
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1916
Riding Since: 1978

Like it or not, I think that a trail pass, or Trail Maintenance Assessment, is the direction that you need to go in. I also believe that the funds generated should be collected and administered by your state snowmobile association instead of state government. Let the state control the registration of vehicles and do whatever they are going to do with the funds they collect. You're never going to get them totally out of it, but at least you would have actual snowmobile people controlling the monies collected. Now come up with a system to fairly distribute the funds to clubs operating groomers. I live in Vermont. It cost $25.00 to register my sled. Then I purchase a TMA, which cost $115.00. Of that, $100.00 goes to VAST, $10.00 to the local club, and $5.00 are county dues. The total price increases by $25.00 if you purchase your TMA after December 15th. Gives you a little incentive to purchase early. Is it expensive, well, I'll leave that for you to decide. Myself, I think it's a bargain for what you get in return. I go riding, trails are groomed and well marked. I also feel good knowing that my dues are being used where they should be. Is it a perfect system, probably not, but what system is? At least the clubs and the independent operators running groomers have a reliable funding source, and the membership gets some nice trails to ride. At the end of the day, isn't that what we are all looking for. Let's face it, snowmobiling is an expensive sport. If we want to have a quality product, we have to expect to pay for it. Not to many things come for free in life. You folks in Maine are very fortunate as you have all the key ingredients for a great snowmobile system. You get ample snowfall, cold weather, and a lot of undeveloped land for trails. I guess now all you need to do is decide how much you want to pay to support such a system.
mblaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 240

just my .02 but it seems to me registrations should be the same cost for resident and non- resident. as a non resident i also am a local club member and I bring another 2-4k into the local economy, many of the locals may participate more in helping trail maintenance in the off season but many go riding and then go home to eat and sleep, as well as enjoy more midweek riding.
res2cue likes this.
jsor26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 Turbo Switchback/05 900 Fusion
Favorite Riding Area: Maine
Riding Since: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by race24x View Post
I am hoping we can come up with some other ideas than the over discussed raising the registration fee or mandatory club joining. These have been beat to death.

1. Years that southern Maine does not have enough snow to groom, there is a way for them to distribute SOME of the money they receive to the clubs that are grooming late into the season
2. A better MSA website with snow cams conditions a forum etc and charge for advertising on that site? Vendors could get their businesses out there like the mats at a restaurant you eat at. The website would have to offer more in order to be able to charge any real money for this.
a. Ways to donate (Paypal, Credit Card) to certain clubs online. Easy to do and you don't have to have cash on you so maybe more likely to donate before you go ride their trails?
3. I am not sure how it works sorry, but what about businesses donating to an area they are in. Maybe offer some sort of commercial membership to a club and offer special signage or advertising for those businesses
4. Do we pay the MSA people? Maybe we could look for volunteers in their place and more money would go to the clubs?

These are just suggestions please don't flame if the are already in place or not practical. I was multi tasking at work.
Just so you know that some and or all of that money is not just for grooming. Its used for bridge material, tools to brush trails, clubhouse things and general maintenance. Sometimes we use up that money before grooming starts. Just a FYI!
rsracin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I am not trying to be difficult but there have been more than one year that southern Maine hasnt had enough snow to ride on much less groom. I know there are all of these other costs but clubs that groom when there is snow could use a bigger percentage.

Just remember when you say that snowmobiling is an expensive sport and not for everyone, my opinion if you raise the cost too much you will lose more money that you increase it by. More people that ride very little will be willing to take a chance and not register at all. The money from the tickets goes to the general fund I beleive. You cant alienate a large group of Mainers that ride.

Again my opinion but the more money you put in the hands of MSA the more ways they will find to spend it before the clubs get any. More paid positions meeting places news papers blah blah.
race24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #28 (permalink)
Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 240

i do not see many parking donation boxes, most businesses that allow free parking already contribute to the local clubs, but a club donation box would send money directly to the clubs and generate more than what the businesses are contributing. gonna need to buy gas and food where ever you go, a voluntary fee would not break anyone.
jsor26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: County

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsracin05 View Post
Just so you know that some and or all of that money is not just for grooming. Its used for bridge material, tools to brush trails, clubhouse things and general maintenance. Sometimes we use up that money before grooming starts. Just a FYI!
This.
Our small clubs with no ITS trails get a grand total of $3750 from the state. Some years we spend that much in bridge planking alone.
Other than trail grant $ we scramble for memberships, business memberships, selling raffle tickets, football pools, etc..
And now some want us down south here to give up some $ during low-snow years?

I talked to the lady up at Pittston Farms last weekend. She said they get about 15,000 sleds through there in a typical Winter. If everybody put just ONE DOLLAR in the trail grooming bucket on the counter, a lot of problems go away.
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I think the best way is to have all the money from snowmobile registrations go to the MSA. Nothing to the General Fund. All the gas tax money that the snowmobile community pays can be used for the Wardens.
MisterWister likes this.
mudboginmainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement