Mauricie loop photo ride report 15january2017 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Quebec This is a Provincial discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By towing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2017, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Venture GT
Favorite Riding Area: Lanaudiere, Quebec
17-18 Mileage: 4800
Riding Since: 1985
Default Mauricie loop photo ride report 15january2017

Our sledding partner Snowcruiser invited us to join him last Sunday for a nice ride in Mauricie area.
It was another little ride without real day target and we decided our path one junction at a time. Here is the final path it gave:

So Sunday morning, about -14C at the start but an humid pinching cold along the St-Laurence river in the Champlain sector. The trail was beautiful as here along #40 highway .

We then cross under the highway and heading north towards St-Narcisse

Here right at the beginning of the long straight stretch on #3 trail

At the end of this long straight stretch we stop few minutes to warm up a little bit and then continue

Here near Lac a la Tortue area in river direction

And we goes on the St-Maurice River

It was still pretty cold especially for my passenger, so we leave the trail of the river to take the #23 trail in north direction

We pass St-Tite village

JP2 on CMIQ had wrote me to tell that he recognized me (too late to stop) after we crossed him near the bridge of the Envy River in St-Tite. By looking at our pics after I realize he did not escape to Krikri lens!!!

Here the other spot where we cross the river of Envies but direct on it. The dozer no longer crosses it after an improvised swim a couple of years ago just a little farther left.

Due to a right of way lost last year, the #360 junction is now a few miles farther north than before on the #23.

We continue on the #23 ...

And had our lunch in Ste-Thecle at the restaurant le petit Palace

After a good meal and a good talk with our partner Snowcruiser we had not seen for a long time, we had continue on the #23 north

It ride well but last grooming was before the last snow.

There were a few snow blades to be careful in this windward section.

We joined the #355 trail which we took southbound

Same there, not groomed recently but nice enough to comfortably shift the legal speed limit two up on our limousine on this section of the Gas Pipeline trail

There are beautiful more mountainous sections

We then switched on #360 trail and took a short break to refuel at St-Joseph de Mékinac

There is a lot of snow this year in this area

And we then took a real break at the belvedere which is just a few miles before (north) of #360/#23 intersection . Here proudly posing next to my venture the new ride of Snowcruiser

Unfortunately, the picture does not do justice to the beauty of the landscape. The view is worth the detour especially in clear weather like this Sunday

The sunset accompanies us as we go back south on the #23 we had pass on in the morning on a short distance before switching on the #351 towards St-Séverin

The cold had coming back in force at this end of the day so we decide to stop to warm up at the famous Relais de la Station at St-Severin. We will finally stay there for supper. Although there were a lot of people the service was quick and the food was very good.

After having this good meal, we started our last segment to our starting point via St-Stanislas and Ste-Geneviève. The long stretch on the Batiscan River was very icy and it had smell the burned candle a bit towards the end!

We were finally back to our starting point in the Champlain sector around 7:30pm with 170miles on the dreammeter.

In short, apart from the segment on the Batiscan River, which was rather icy, the trails and other rivers were all in very good condition and all the trails pass through the last week thaw nicely. Still lots of snow and beautiful solid trails that stay nice even when solicited.

No doubt that the snowmobile season is in full swing in this area too, it's up to you to enjoy it!

bye!

Alain

lil_fast_yammy likes this.
towing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): 2016 Blizzard
Previous Sled(s): 2006 Blizzard
Favorite Riding Area: VT, Quebec
16-17 Mileage: 400

My friends and I were up there last week. We also noticed the lack of grooming in a lot of areas. Anyone have an idea why? We thought they might be on strike due to Chez Rogers being closed!
DCSlade4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '10 F500
Previous Sled(s): '72 Ski Whiz '79 Trailfire '96 Cougar
Favorite Riding Area: WNY, Quebec, Ontario
Riding Since: 1966

Thanks Alain for another great ride report. My Babe and I are hoping to come to Quebec to ride the week of March 5th. Looking at a few places to try to stay. We are not into night life. What are your thoughts on riding out of Auberge de la Montagne Coupee, Auberge du lac Taureau or Auberge du Vieux Moulin? Trails, accommodations, food, security, etc.? Obviously being over a month out, weather and snow are the unknown factors. Thank you!
glm1561 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Venture GT
Favorite Riding Area: Lanaudiere, Quebec
17-18 Mileage: 4800
Riding Since: 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by glm1561 View Post
Thanks Alain for another great ride report. My Babe and I are hoping to come to Quebec to ride the week of March 5th. Looking at a few places to try to stay. We are not into night life. What are your thoughts on riding out of Auberge de la Montagne Coupee, Auberge du lac Taureau or Auberge du Vieux Moulin? Trails, accommodations, food, security, etc.? Obviously being over a month out, weather and snow are the unknown factors. Thank you!
Sorry for the late answer, All 3 you mention are nice and I heard just good about them. No bad choice, all nice places to bring your half for sure. The trail network available is wide and nice for all them, lots of options and for the security I always recommend to lock all your things and take your precautions doesn't matter where you go.

Like you wrote, it's hard to predict the weather but thinking of the span 5 to 12 march you have small chances that the trails in the south of Lanaudiere begin to melt down. There is no problem with the trails more north that always keep on a good 2 or 3 weeks later. The montagne Coupée is in St-Jean de Matha which is mid position between north and south and the 2 others are fully north. I would say in the date span you planned the south like my home is 80% safe, St-Jean de matha 95% safe and Ste-Émilie/St-Zénon and up 100%. I hope we will keep our trails up to april this year but we can't predict and it is something to consider.

hope this help

Alain
towing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '10 F500
Previous Sled(s): '72 Ski Whiz '79 Trailfire '96 Cougar
Favorite Riding Area: WNY, Quebec, Ontario
Riding Since: 1966

Very helpful, thank you!
glm1561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement