Hardcore Sledder banner

Yamaha Nytro or 2014 Viper

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  s10mike 
#1 ·
So I was wonder how reliable are the 1049 engines how many miles do they go I’m seriously thinking of buying one after next season I’m done with 2 strokes and I already have 2 thousand save up so I am serious. Are the Nytro and Viper reliable and good sleds

#3 ·
the viper will be on a better seating position if you ride beat up trails and or are more aggressive rider!
so something to think about maybe before deciding on what motor or model to look at!

BOTH motors have been known to last a while, but like all things HOW there cared for matters a LOT on anything, 2 stroke or 4 for that matter!

#5 ·
Ok thanks guys I’m going to sell my rmk after this winter she was a good one I’m thinking of a 2014 sr Viper xtx. I would make sure all the updates are done. Would they be a good trail and backcountry sled like for just playing in the fields and woods in like 2 feet of snow. Are they as heavy as everone says cause my fiends are oh it’s a Yamaha. It’s heavy when they still have a 1996 rxl 650 that’s heavy. But remember I’m 15 so I don’t care about what name the shocks are on it so would this be a good sled for me

#6 ·
The Nytro is an antique in comparison, the Viper is also though compared to other modern sleds. If you aren't riding miles that make us all jealous then the 4 stroke reliability advantage isn't real.

I'd test ride a Viper this winter and then an equivalent 2 stroke from either Poo or Doo. You'll never buy the Viper if you do.

#9 ·
it would depend on what model viper you get, the standard one is NOT the best for off trail, the XTX will be a much better for off trail!

and you want a 15 and up, that has more of the upgrades done to them !
have a look on the yamaha forum and there is a ton of info on the vipoers and upgrades to them!

a tip over device is also something you should have if riding a lot of trail!

#11 · (Edited)
if your coming off a modern era RMK< going to a plain jane Viper is going to be a HUGE upgrade on trail and huge let down OFF trail! IMO
two totally different animals!
and IMO a good well cared for NEWER 2 stroke is about just as reliable as any 4 stroke on the market, it will just need motor work sooner
the rest of the maintenance on the sled will be the same too

there are pro's and con's to both, but honestly in today's age of high tech 2 strokes, there pretty darn reliable, if you do your part in taking care of them, SAME for the 4 strokes,!

#15 ·
NO from that era to the 14's up will be a total different sled and a big upgrade to you all over IMO
I think the XTX viper will be more your liking if you plan any off trail riding
or at least look for maybe a
viper/cat XF 7000(same sled more or less) with a deeper lug track to help you off trail
the main draw back of the 7000's/vipers will be heavier up front when off trail in deeper snow!

wider skis will help here too

and again, look into the rollover mod for these motors if you plan to ride off trail
it will save your motor and there not that bad to install or buy

I HAD a 2015 Cat XF 7000 too, liked the sled a lot, NOT as sport as a two stroke of like Hp IMO< but still a strong motor and a bunch of power to enjoy it
just added front end weight some what to deal with,
set up right they handle very well!
just like any sled, set up MAtters!

#13 ·
A 2000 Polaris RMK with 80s trailing arms isnt in the same league as a Nytro or Viper. The Viper is the machine to get, the 1049cc triple is a bear from 0-90 and it works great paired with the ProCross chassis. I loved my 09 Nytro XTX (sled was a rocket, modified, beat 800 2 strokes) and I regret selling my 14 Viper XTX.
(Deephaven and dsko are forums clowns, dont pay any attention to their posts.
Do what I and many others have, add them to your ignore list
..pm me if you need help doing so.)
Good luck with your choice, my 14 XTX was a late model and had all the 15 updates, with the Float 3s and new sensor.

Attachments

#17 ·
I loved my 09 Nytro XTX (sled was a rocket, modified, beat 800 2 strokes) ....
I have ridden the following sleds:

- 121" Nytro (yuck)
- 129" Viper
- 137" Viper
- 144" Nytro XTX

And hands down the fastest and best riding of the 4 is the 144" Nytro XTX. However, the Viper has better ergonomics, better wind protection, better storage options, more fuel capacity, and is better looking IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.