Snapped Belt - Firecat 1000 - Page 4 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XFire 128/Firecat(03-06 & 09-?) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2015, 12:15 AM   #31 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 04 SuperCat 1000 Turbo Slayer
Previous Sled(s): 07 F1000, 08 F8, 7 Different F7s, '92 EXT w/ 580, 91 Wildcat
Favorite Riding Area: Anywhere in NB
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 2000 miles
Riding Since: 1988

I'm running the 4 arm 2007 Crossfire 1000 primary. Not sure what size it is.
fowlerrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 12:25 AM   #32 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:
Default Snapped Belt - Firecat 1000

Ok the 4 arm cat clutch is 8.5". I took my side panel off and got the sled up so my clutches were right in my face. I've found many things. First of all the secondary was rubbing on the guard that protects the coolant line. The guard is all destroyed now from blowing belts. My secondary clutch could not shift the entire way out because of this. I took both springs out of the clutches and put it all back together and simulated a full shift out. The belt is long enough, this is good. So I will stick with the xs-815 belt. The alignment at full shift was bad. The secondary wanted to be closer to the chassis but it was hitting that guard and grinding away at it. I removed the guard and cable ties the hose tight to the chassis (still not sure thing is best thing to do). I checked again just by locking the primary in full shift and spinning the clutch by hand. The secondary still wanted to be in closer to the chassis - which meant belt twist. I removed the o-ring that is on the jackshaft between the secondary and the stop block on the jackshaft. The secondary still wanted to move over.So I took the recommendation to yank the motor mounts and press them in the 1/8th of an inch that was left on them. I spun the clutches again and it still wanted to come in to the stop block on the jackshaft. So I yanked the motor mounts and after trial and error I added 4 washers between the D&D motor mount plate and the chassis of the sled, which pulled the motor to the left side of the sled even more. Finally with the sled sitting flag on the ground, with the primary clutch locked in high gear and the secondary in full shift and without the key installed, I could spin the clutches and the secondary would naturally want to move off the stop on the jackshaft, only by 1/8th inch or so. I know other members suggested machining a little off the back side of the movable sheave on the secondary to it would shift past the jackshaft block, but I could not do this because my movable sheave on the secondary would be hitting that coolant hose. I'm pretty scared that that coolant hose is going to get pressurized and grow and touch the secondary now - it is that close. I also am now floating my secondary on the shaft. Before it had an o-ring on either side of the it and no play at all. Was tight on the shaft. I can't wait to get it out and wring its neck and feel those clutches after doing 120 mph! Hoping this fixes my belt snapping problem. I should be geared for 125mph but I don't think I was even getting into overdrive. Time will tell! Thanks for your suggestions thus far!

Last edited by fowlerrudi; 01-27-2015 at 10:59 AM.
fowlerrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:34 AM   #33 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedBySM Free1422336874.175118.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	789.6 KB
ID:	1309105