Need help on belt deflection - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XFire 128/Firecat(03-06 & 09-?) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2007, 07:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): None Ski Doo Arctic Cat
Previous Sled(s): 2013-15 Ski Doo Renegades / 1998-06 ZR-Firecat-Crossfires
Favorite Riding Area: Ishpeming / Munising Crazy 8s
17-18 Mileage: X
16-17 Mileage: X
Riding Since: 1998

Like F250 said

So like i told you , the sheaves were not closing all the way - Thats why all along i was telling you to remove that BD aluminum adjuster and see if anything was hanging up

Sounds like your on the right track

Now you got it nice and tight - Adjust from there
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee - 383 Magnum / 432 Stroker - Slapstik - 3:91 Suregrip
bee1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2007, 09:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

so height on the secondary doesnt actually matter as much as the tightness of the belt right?
thesweeper09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2006 Renegade MXZ X 800 HO
Previous Sled(s): 2005 F6, 2003 MXZ 800

I think the tightness matters most. As a general rule - with the stock 034 Belt the optimum tightness is supposed to have a bit of the belt above the sheaves.

As for me - that didn't happen either - mine almost sat flush down in the sheaves and would chirp when it warmed up - made for a hell of a hole shot.

I also have the BD adjuster and am worried about opening the sheaves up - withe the stock belt deflector adjuster / with all the shims / you just bolt it in with no shims and the sheaves open. How do we do this with the BD adjuster? Mine is hanging out of the secondary by 1/8" and I'm afraid to keep cranking it for fear of something snapping (Like the tool)

I have the bolt all the way as well - so I'm not sure how to adjust properly but I have to now as I blew a belt doing around 103 mph on my last lake run today. THAT IS MESSY. I have some of the belt between the sheaves still.

On a totally other topic - which I will search now - but suspect Scott knows - how do I get my F6 to stop blowing belts. Is there a good way to line it up - i.e. float the secondary by removing the bolt - run it on a stand - measure from frame to sheave and then shim accordingly? I think i have like 4 or 5 shims behind my secondary hooking onto the DD.

Don't mean to Hijack your thread - but I'm totally confused as to how to use the BD properly and making sure I can get belts off properly while using it. I was able to put a new belt on by placing it on and turning the secondary and walking it on effectively - now to get it off and clean up the belt explosion remains....

ah well - 350 km this weekend (about 200 miles) was all good.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): None Ski Doo Arctic Cat
Previous Sled(s): 2013-15 Ski Doo Renegades / 1998-06 ZR-Firecat-Crossfires
Favorite Riding Area: Ishpeming / Munising Crazy 8s
17-18 Mileage: X
16-17 Mileage: X
Riding Since: 1998

TSS Clutch Tool
(Reference #TSS-TOOL)
BD Deflection Adjuster Installation and Clutch Tool Use

BD Deflection Adjuster Installation and Use (#50034, #50035 and #50038)

1. Remove plastic deflection adjuster and shims.
2. Remove the 3/8"bolt that holds the secondary clutch on.
3. Install the aluminum BD Deflection Adjuster.
4. Install the new 3/8"bolt through the BD Deflection Adjuster.
5. With the clutch bolt loose, adjust belt deflection to manufacturer specifications with the small end of the TSS Clutch Tool.
6. While holding the BD Deflection Adjuster in place with the TSS Clutch Tool. Insert the Allen wrench through the access hole in the TSS Clutch Tool and tighten the bolt to the manufacturer specifications.
**NOTE: Clutch bolt must be loose to make deflection adjustments and then retightened to manufacturers specifications.

Changing the Belt (#50021)
1. Place large end of the TSS Clutch Tool so that the threaded thumb screw can be screwed into the BD Deflection Adjuster.
2. Be sure to position the three indexing bars into the three openings in the cam cover. Slight rotation may be needed to find the openings.
3. Tighten the thumb screw firmly.
4. Set the parking brake on the snowmobile.
5. Rotate the TSS Clutch Tool handle approximately 1/4 turn, until it locks open.
6. Remove the old belt over the ends of the clutch and replace with a new belt.
7. Rotate the TSS Clutch Tool counter clockwise until the spring pressure is released.
8. Unscrew the thumb screw and remove the TSS Clutch Tool from the clutch.
The clutch may not close completely because it may be pinching the belt. Work the belt to the outer perimeter of the clutch.

Further adjustment may be needed with the installation of a new belt. Refer to step 5 in the BD Deflection Adjuster installation and use.

WARNING: Engine must be turned off before any clutch adjustments or belt changes are performed. Make sure to remove the TSS Clutch Tool before restarting the engine. Failure to do so could result in injury. Be sure to tighten the clutch bolt to manufacturer specifications before starting engine.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee - 383 Magnum / 432 Stroker - Slapstik - 3:91 Suregrip
bee1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #25 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2006 Renegade MXZ X 800 HO
Previous Sled(s): 2005 F6, 2003 MXZ 800

Thanks man! I didn't get any instructions with them. So now I know what that screw part is for! LOL.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #26 (permalink)

hh
Chennessey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement