Smart valves - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XFire 128/Firecat(03-06 & 09-?) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By STEVEJR

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): [2] 03 zr900 [1] 03 f7 [1] 05 f7
Previous Sled(s): baby sitter of many kitties
Riding Since: 1971
Default Smart valves

I just did a top end rebuild on an 06 firecat. Started it many times in the shop, got the coolant level all good, started many times, just sits there idles perfectly, starts first pull, thought the pto piston went down from crappy fuel, cleaned the tank all out lots of water and crap. Just scared of a possible crank seal or smart valve problem, I just can't wrap my head around a possible smart valve failure and burn down, shouldn't it just run out of fuel if the valve closes, 12,000 miles on this sled,I did a rebuild at 7000, just because. The mileage scares me about crank seal? Someone adjust my brain on the smart valve. I own five firecats and never an issue with that valve
STEVEJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2019, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): "Agri-vator"

I never thought about them either. Isn't there two? They'd both have to be stuck closed before it starved for fuel, and like your saying, it should just run out of fuel. Not go lean.
Man I always like that 900 pic. Still have it?
stronger800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Yes I still have the 900, I just keep reading where people think the one smart valve stuck and they think it leaned the PTO side , yes it does have 2. This sled was a friends, I have always maintained it, it's in awesome shape so bought it cheap, when I got it he never gave me the piston that torched so I have nothing to go by, all I know is he took it out of storage did one lap and torched the pto side, I rebuilt it, had a set of redone cylinders and there it sits idling perfectly
Old 01-16-2020, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Well finally tried to do a lap around the field after many start ups and warm ups just at an idle, took it for a lap and did not make it back scarred the hell out of pto side piston and cylinder again, didn't even go over 4000 rpms, what a bitch, rebuilt with ultra care,reached right in the tank with brand new fuel and the one smart valve totally sucked in, I can't believe it
Old 01-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Last year both smart valves in my f7?we sticking. Rode it over a thousand miles yntil I figured out what was wrong. Fixed them with bic pen springs. This sled was fuel starved half the winter with no melt down or other problems
zr8rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Yeah,,, I think its crank seal,its very high mileage, I have another complete motor to put in and I will be doing the pen spring fix on the smart valves
teaser61 likes this.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Ended up swapping a 04 700 motor into the sled, new water pump shaft and seals, new pistons rings wrist pin bearings, renic cylinders top end gaskets orings, pulled the stator and flywheel,wash is good nice looking plugs. Did the pencil spring swap for the smart valves, if you use the pencils instead of the pens the spring is perfect length just a little beefier. So it was probably a combination crank seal and smart valve lean out, which would account for pto side heat
Old 02-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Also those smart valves may not look dirty, just spray some brake clean on them and watch them clean up and turn white again, that's a pretty fine screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement