Reverse parts help needed - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XFire 128/Firecat(03-06 & 09-?) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2017, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Reverse parts help needed

Hi everyone,

Was hoping I could get some help with figuring out how to get reverse on my sled. I picked up an 03 f7 this past winter and had some serious fun with it. Problem is every other sled I've ridden had reverse on it so my back was not a fan of wrestling with the thing. I know some people would say I'm ruining the sled but I'll gladly give up some mph for the luxury of reverse.

Anyways, I was able to track down a complete reverse kit from an 06 sabercat lx. Based on the parts list it looks like both sleds used essentially the same chain case and inner workings other than the threaded rod connector. I also saw reference to a part that act as an adapter for the connector.

Does anybody know if A. The sabercat reverse kit will fit?
B. What additional parts I would need to make it fit/work in the f7?

Thanks
brokenlightbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2017, 05:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

16-17 Mileage: 200

I recently picked up a 2004 f6 with reverse installed from a sabercat. You will need a chain case cover. The bottom gear. Middle gear and some hardware. I can take some pictures for you if you'd like as its currently apart being repaired.
zack111221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 ZR 800 RR and a 18 mtn cat on the way
Previous Sled(s): 13m8 13&12 XF HC, 4 X-fires, F7, 4 poos
Favorite Riding Area: On top of snow
Riding Since: 1988

I put a accessory reverse kit on my F7. I think the parts will swap over but make sure the donor sled is a 700. There's a gearing difference between the 500's and the 700's. I probably have the installation instructions still somewhere
sled208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack111221 View Post
I recently picked up a 2004 f6 with reverse installed from a sabercat. You will need a chain case cover. The bottom gear. Middle gear and some hardware. I can take some pictures for you if you'd like as its currently apart being repaired.
Pictures would be great if you don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled208 View Post
I put a accessory reverse kit on my F7. I think the parts will swap over but make sure the donor sled is a 700. There's a gearing difference between the 500's and the 700's. I probably have the installation instructions still somewhere
If you have them, the installation instructions would be awesome.

Thanks guys
Old 07-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): "Agri-vator"

Get the used parts that you can, then buy whatever else you may need new like that adapter. It's a simple job and everything will bolt right in. When you have the gears that you buy and the gears currently in the sled both in view, post here with what you have and we'll make suggestions as to if you need to change anything. 600-700cc gearing wasn't much different and many guys preferred 600 gearing actually. If your donor sled is a 500 they may still be good to go, depending on what they are. Your sled or the donor sled, or both, may have altered gearing in them already.
stronger800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

I got the sabercat kit and started swapping it out today. Pulled off the front and rear chain case cover from my sled and then realized I could have saved myself some trouble and left the rear case. Good news is since I pulled both, I think I can do a full swap with the saber case. I think this also means I dont have to worry about gear mismatch since Im going to use the full saber case, gears, chain... Looks like my old top gear had more teeth than the new one but the new case has the mid gear as well.

Any concern with running the full gear set from the 500 sabercat in the 700 firecat?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenlightbulb View Post
I got the sabercat kit and started swapping it out today. Pulled off the front and rear chain case cover from my sled and then realized I could have saved myself some trouble and left the rear case. Good news is since I pulled both, I think I can do a full swap with the saber case. I think this also means I dont have to worry about gear mismatch since Im going to use the full saber case, gears, chain... Looks like my old top gear had more teeth than the new one but the new case has the mid gear as well.

Any concern with running the full gear set from the 500 sabercat in the 700 firecat?
It will just be geared lower. The mid gear has nothing to do with your final ratio as it only is used when the reverse is activated.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled208 View Post
It will just be geared lower. The mid gear has nothing to do with your final ratio as it only is used when the reverse is activated.
Sweet, yeah this dawned on me today. I was a bit tired when I posted last night haha. Gear ratio is the same between both chain cases but the new one has smaller gears so I guess it will just technically put a little bit of extra stress on the chain than with the old gears.

Now to pull the auto tensioner off the case so it fits and I'm golden.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): "Agri-vator"

Didn't have to change the rear half at all, but, good reason and time to inspect or replace the bearings now I suppose that you have it apart. The gear ratio is the same? Count all the teeth, top and bottom gears, and post them please.
stronger800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stronger800 View Post
Didn't have to change the rear half at all, but, good reason and time to inspect or replace the bearings now I suppose that you have it apart. The gear ratio is the same? Count all the teeth, top and bottom gears, and post them please.
I wasn't going to say anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement