Handling Problem - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XFire 128/Firecat(03-06 & 09-?) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2006, 08:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012xf800 snopro
Previous Sled(s): 2010cfr800,04f6carb,75 sst340
Favorite Riding Area: anywhere with good snow
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1000+
Riding Since: 1989

easy fix. shitcan the stock skis rode a sled last year with slp strait line tracking skis and it was like having power steering. bought a set for mine this year but have yet to get enough snow to put them on. dont want to ruin them on rocks
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2006, 08:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by zr5carb@Jan 29 2006, 08:46 PM
easy fix. shitcan the stock skis rode a sled last year with slp strait line tracking skis and it was like having power steering. bought a set for mine this year but have yet to get enough snow to put them on. dont want to ruin them on rocks
<div align="right">
[/quote]

Thats like saying you can make a racebike handle prefect by just putting good tires on it.......silly.

Not to mention, getting some springs and setting the sled up is cheaper than ski's. And then you can still get the ski's and have it that much better :div20:
sqidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:58 PM   #23 (permalink)

Tomorrow is test day!!! Sqidd, makes a lot of sense. The one variable in the equation that most can't explain is the Fox floats. I've had more than one racer from the CSRA tell me to swap them out for a set of Ohlins. They scrap them all on the 440 SP as soon as they get them. I've already got the limiter pulled up an inch and a half and the front spring at about 10m, but I never thought of the bathroom scales!!! Makes sense instead of just fooling around trying to hit the mark.
FirstTraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

:banana:
Old 01-29-2006, 09:09 PM   #25 (permalink)

Were did you get the weight figures??? After finding a good set up??
Old 01-29-2006, 09:15 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by FirstTraxx@Jan 29 2006, 08:58 PM
Tomorrow is test day!!! Sqidd,* makes a lot of sense. The one variable in the equation that most can't explain is the Fox floats. I've had more than one racer from the CSRA tell me to swap them out for a set of Ohlins. They scrap them all on the 440 SP as soon as they get them. I've already got the limiter pulled up an inch and a half and the front spring at about 10m, but I never thought of the bathroom scales!!! Makes sense instead of just fooling around trying to hit the mark.
<div align="right">
[/quote]

Yeah, I have no expirience with the floats either. I have a brand new set sitting on the shelf, but all of our sleds (except one) have Ohlins on them. I would imagine the floats are not the best shock for SnoX, but I don't see why they can't be a good trail shock. I would stick with them until I ran into a dead end.

From what I understand you set them up with air pressure instead of spring preload, no big deal. Follow the steps above and when it's time to set the sag in front set the air pressure to get approx 3" of sag out of it. They should work fine.

At the end of the season we will be adding a sled suspension service to our roadrace suspension services at the shop. By next fall we should have a comprehensive setup procudure and good valving for the stock Fox shocks for trail riders. When it's all done a Firecat owner will be able to send us their shocks, we will re-spring and re-valve them, send them back with detailed setup instructions so you can just plug and play.

We have our Ohlins right where we want them already, we are going to Ohlins HQ next month with a few sets of Fox shocks and we will be revalving them and running tests on their shock dyno (I wish I had one but they are 10G's) to mimic the attributes of the Ohlins shocks. We will most likely be converting them all over to two stage valving which is a must when you are dealing with everything from stutter bumps to big hits while landing.

When all is said and done a Firecat owner should be able to get their sled set up realy well for about $750-850. I know that sounds like a lot, but all the people who have ridden my sled would gladly pay that to get their sled to work the same.

And if it makes you feel any better I have some guys on our Roadrace stuff with over $5000 into their suspension Sledders get off cheap :div20:
Old 01-29-2006, 09:19 PM   #27 (permalink)

Here's what you don't do. I weight 190 and have the 1.375 track with no studs, 75 PSI in the floats, and the rear springs set to the stiffest for jumping and racing cross country. I get ate up by everything in the corners. :banghead:
goldenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:20 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by FirstTraxx@Jan 29 2006, 09:09 PM
Were did you get the weight figures??? After finding a good set up??
<div align="right">
[/quote]

Yeah, I got the sled pretty close to where I wanted it by just guessing at first. When the sled was new I put it on the scales and set it up so each scale had 25% of teh weight. Then I went up and rode it and just kept stopping and adjusting the limiters( I have a set of these, which are a must Adjustable Limiters) until I got them where I wanted them. Then I put it back on the scales and noted the changes.

If you have not been able to tell yet I am kind of a geek when it comes to setup :beerchug:
Old 01-29-2006, 09:20 PM   #29 (permalink)

Thanks for the input/advice, I'm determined to make this thing work!! I'll let you know how it turns out, either railing or into a tree!!!
Old 01-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
zrt
Super Advanced Member

Hey squidd, great advice. I like the zip tie idea too. If you don't mind me asking; how much do you weigh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement