Hardcore Sledder banner

0627-047 Belt Options?

4K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  Crnr2Crnr 
#1 ·
So the 720 decided to start ripping another belt apart today at high speed but heard the noise and shut it down before it ripped the outer carcass off like it did the last time. Always carry a used spare, tossed it on and headed back to the trailer. Deflection was set and checked a few rides ago, belt probably has 500 miles on it but this is the second time the cord on the side started to come apart and I want to nip the problem in the ass. The last time I was picking chunks of cord and the outer skin out of the engine compartment for a while. :rolleyes:

So, aside from checking the clutches really well for any burrs (have to do this yet) when it's in full shift out I'm curious as to what other belts might be a tad better than the stock 0627-047 belt from Cat.

There's the Speedwerx soft compound but I don't think I need that. Anyone tried the Ultimax XS820 Dayco XTX5036, or anything else and had good luck? Don't care about the price because I don't want my belts to start self-destructing at over 90mph.

@Greg B. which belt did you run on your F7 powered one, or was it different than stock due to the custom primary?

#2 ·
Deflection won't affect belt life like that but offset and parallelism will. Making sure motor mounts good too. You usually want a bit off on parallelism, figuring under load the belt will pull the engine back slightly and the be true. Cat lists the specs for it but I don't remember off hand. Cat belts are pretty good I've had better luck with them over the xs belts. If you're going through cat belts I think you have an issue and changing belt manufactures won't change that.
There is a different cat belt though, speedwerx does supply it in their clutch kits, I think it's just a sticky compound though and not necessarily more durable.

#4 ·
good points, prefer to use the Cat belt (already ordered another spare), and I should really check the mounts with the extra oomph and some miles on it. also, the engine is spinning 8600-8700 up top (according to D&D) so I'm sure there's a bit of added heat going on.

#5 ·
0627-076 off the xc sled. It will last a ton longer and perform way better.
is it the same length?
http://www.arcticinsider.com/Images/Article/Belt year chart.pdf

you'd have laughed, was flying down the big hill on fresh groom by the power lines when I heard the noise. :wall:

belt did seem like it was slipping today in the woods, maybe that's why your RR absolutely clobbered me when we lined them up instead of the 100ft trench I dug. :roflmao:

#8 ·
roger on the 076 - recall most of that info

still curious if any of the aftermarket belts are an improvement or any better over the oem 047 or if I should ask in another forum where belt replacement is more common.

seems as though there's only a small handful of people using this forum lately? :dunno:

#13 ·
Dayco
XTX5056
XTX5038
XTX5024
XTX5034 longer and wider than stock.

Gates
43G4289
49C4266

Not sure on those new Gboost belts. Might look into that too.

I run the original -066 belt on my 600, but that was a 1 year deal. I have a quite a few of them so i will keep running them. After that, probably try that XTX5034.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.