Hardcore Sledder banner

XC 700 season prep?

776 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Drift19 
#1 ·
Hi guys I am new to snowmobiling and am looking for advice on things to inspect and check to make sure the snowmobile is ready to go for the season. I have experience working on and winterizing motorcycles and jet skis so I have a pretty good basic knowledge of the common things on those types of machines but no specifics about snowmobiles as this is my first time owning and riding.

I have a 2002 and 2004 XC 700 that I purchased for the season, they appear to be meticulously maintained by the previous owner as he described the countless maintenance items he has done as well as spare parts that he had. I am looking to get an idea of what I should make sure to get done before the riding season actually starts. One thing I already have in mind is oil change, what else should I inspect/check to make sure my season is head ache less!

Thanks!

#4 · (Edited)
You can see from his maintenance records what has been done and when. If the below items have been taken care of no worry. If not these are some items that need to be looked at on your sleds.

1) Carbs thoroughly cleaned
2) Clean fuel filter
3) Clean chain case oil and chain tension properly adjusted
4) Track tension adjusted
5) All grease zerks working and greased-don't over grease/2 to 3 pumps should do
6) Fresh non oxy gas-My XC XP 600 has the non premium/premium setting on the
switch. I always run 91 non oxy and sled on non premium setting. Most 87 gas is
garbage and some of the 91 isn't so great either (especially bottom of the station fuel
tank or if it has been sitting in the station tank all summer). If you can afford to
snowmobile you can probably afford good gas. Doesn't add up to that much more
over the season and the benefits outweigh the cost (my opinion and experience with
several xc sp's). Some may argue the use of 91 non oxy but that is their choice and yours.
7) Clutches clean and adjusted with a good belt. Carry a spare and know how to
change it. I use my electric leaf blower to blow dust and crap out of engine compartment. Cover air intake hole so debri doesn't fall down by carbs when blowing out.
8) New plugs with a set of spare plugs
9) Check drive shaft and jack shaft bearings (3000 mile range). An ounce of prevention is worth a pound
of cure.
10) See if his records indicate the last time the shocks were recharged. Don't want the
suspension bottoming out and beating your backsides on a long day of riding. Most
places around here charge around $40 a shock to rebuild on the Fox shocks that
come on an XC SP.

#6 ·
Awesome, thanks guys! I will be following this, I am also guessing most of this is outlined in the manual so I will be following that closely as well as youtube if there are any videos out there on it. Feel free to link any how to threads that would help with any of this! Thanks, will have to get them off the trailer and into the garage here soon to make it easier to work on!

#5 ·
Not a bad idea to make sure the grease zerk on the lower part of the steering post was greased...finding many guys with these sleds are ignoring it due where its hidden.
Check the all the idler wheel bearings for any roughness.
Like mentioned, clutches are important especially if the sleds mileage is over 3k miles. Good to know if the previous owner rebuilt them, or at least inspected them for worn parts or at the least installed new springs....this would apply more to the 02 sled.

#7 · (Edited)
Another thing you can do that is simple and only takes half an hour is to remove your ski's. Then clean the ski bushing, spindle bushing hole, and bolt. Grease them and put back together. Then use the grease zerk on each spindle. Grease each until grease comes out around the edges. Cleaning them gets rid of sand and salt from last year. Greasing them helps them work smoothly, prevents wear, and the grease provides a barrier to moisture. Do this at the end of each riding season and you will be good to go for the new season.

#8 ·
Another thing you can do that is simple and only takes half an hour is to remove your ski's. Then clean the ski bushing, spindle bushing hole, and bolt. Grease them and put back together. Then use the grease zerk on each spindle. Grease each until grease comes out around the edges. Cleaning them gets rid of sand and salt form last year. Greasing them helps them work smoothly, prevents wear, and the grease provides a barrier to moisture.
If those skis were never pulled to coat the spindle bore and od of the bushings....go luck. Mine were never done on my 05 xc that i picked up used. Friggin bolts wouldn't budge.:wall:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.