Hardcore Sledder banner

Raptor center/rear shock spring - WOW!!!

47K views 167 replies 50 participants last post by  F7RAT 
#1 ·
Holy cow, what an upgrade to the back end of my 2016 ZR6000. I was bottoming out even after having the shock re-valved so did some digging and came across the Raptor spring. It's a triple rate made for a Polaris but fits the Cats. There is absolutely no slack in the spring at all even with the collars turned down all the way.

It's sooo much smoother than the stock double rate with absolutely no bottoming out even on hard whoops and sharp dips. I'm 240lbs with gear and it totally transformed my sled.

This is not a sales pitch, just a shout out to those who are struggling like I was. For $60 plus shipping, it's the best and cheapest upgrade I've done so far.

Hope this helps someone else. :buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

#46 ·
Been a few years since I had my rear shocks out and can't remember shit. Trying to not remove the skid, it looks like you can change the front spring with the skid in the sled? Would this procedure work...unbolt the top mount and the shock body should pivot towards the rear of the sled on the lower shaft? Loosen the lock nuts, remove collar and the old spring. Install new spring with collar and tighten lock nuts? Swivel shock/spring back into the top mount, not sure if the spring/shock body will be longer and need some leverage or compression to align into the top mount? Will this work?

#47 ·
I did my first one while the skid was still in but don't remember the procedure. What I do remember is that it was a pain getting the holes to line up because the spring was about 1/8" too long. Jace at Raptor said they shortened the spring on the last couple runs by 1/4" but all the rate specs were the same. I would image it will fit in there a lot better now with the change.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

#49 ·
my 2¢ worth

I installed the Raptor spring at the beginning of the season (2015 ZR5000LXR) Last year I upgraded to the 2016 Cat spring and had the rear skid shocks revalved.

I have put on about 700kms here in Ontario so far. This spring is an upgrade over the Cat spring, but I still bottom out the front skid shock on hitting somewhat moderate bumps going downhill. I'm about 190lbs with gear, and rear torsions are on 1 1/2.

Handles stutters and small junk farily well, but I need a better revalve or better rear skid shocks next year. Either that or slow down.

Not bad for the price all in all, and an easy swap.

Cheers....

#54 ·
Ordered mine last week Monday like you mentioned no spring they did charge my CC and all they mentioned to me is they are backordered again. Must be a hot item or they never got there shipment in when they thought it was supposed be. :bc:

#70 ·
Have had the Raptor spring sitting on my shelf for 1 year, last night finally got around to changing it out. Noticed a lot of play on the bottom shaft of the front shock, removed the shaft for inspection and have considerable wear and grooving on the aluminum cross shaft where the shock eyelet sits.
I am thinking that I should replace with the steel shaft from RR, with a new collar insert on the bottom of the shock....looking for advice? Also, it looks like the old collar insert would have to be pressed out and new one pressed in?

#72 ·
What a read. I have a 2015 XF HighCountry sno pro, will this spring fit my front skid shock? Seems people are loving this. I don't really bottom my sled out, but I will take any more cushion I can get!

#73 ·
How do you guys go about adjusting the new spring? Would this be recommended for a 13 F800 and a 15 4000RR?

#75 ·
Hey Guenther;

Got one of those Raptor springs last year for my Cat Turbo. The combo of that plus a revalve from Hygear has totally turned my riding experience right side up again! Honestly its the best riding sled I've ever owned and I've owned many.

My friend has a Ski Doo Etec Adrenaline series and we were riding over a really bombed out trail last year. When we stopped he said are you getting pummeled by those bumps? i said I knew they were there but not really bothering me at all. I let him ride my sled and he couldnt believe how good it was.

Hope this helps, Teamgreen

Reactions: snowcrazy1
#77 ·
Hey Guenther;

Got one of those Raptor springs last year for my Cat Turbo. The combo of that plus a revalve from Hygear has totally turned my riding experience right side up again! Honestly its the best riding sled I've ever owned and I've owned many.

My friend has a Ski Doo Etec Adrenaline series and we were riding over a really bombed out trail last year. When we stopped he said are you getting pummeled by those bumps? i said I knew they were there but not really bothering me at all. I let him ride my sled and he couldnt believe how good it was.

Hope this helps, Teamgreen

Glad to hear it, Teamgreen! I bought a set of Raptor ski springs as well this fall to put on my QS3s. Unfortunately I had rotator cuff surgery 7 weeks ago so no riding for me this season. I thought kidney stones were the worst pain a guy could have until this....... :cry: :cry: :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.