Hardcore Sledder banner

Modular Helmet

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  sammy77 
#1 ·
Picked up an Arctic Cat AS2 modular helmet today. Never heard of this one before, but it seems like a nice helmet for $150. Has the flip down tinted shield, electric outer shield, quick release chin strap and feels a lot warmer than my current Yamaha Snoforce. Helmet weight is always a concern for me because I have had neck problems. This one weighs 1748 grams. My SnoForce weighs 1546 grams. Doesn't sound like much difference, but my old Wedge helmet weighs 1676 grams and I noticed that my neck is better after a day of riding with the lighter SnoForce.

Have read that some Arctic Cat helmets are made by CKX. This looks similar to CKX helmets on ebay, but not exactly the same. The helmet I bought can be seen on ebay at NEW ARCTIC CAT HELMET MODULAR BLACK ELECTRIC - NON CURRENT 5252-51_ | eBay

I know there are lots of riders satisfied with the BVS2 helmet, but that would be too heavy for me and the other Ski Doo helmets have the tinted shield attached to the outer shield, which I don't like. I ride a lot on warmer days with the shield open with just sunglasses on. I like the idea of the separate flip down tinted shield so I can ride with the outer shield open on warmer days.

Anyone have any experience with the Arctic Cat AS2 Helmet that I bought?

Also, is anyone aware of a lighter weight modular helmet?

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't speak to the AS2. Some Googling didn't result in who makes AC helmets. My first thought in looking at it is HJC. That's a great price for a modular with electric shield.

I just picked up an LS2 Strobe from MadSled. Sounds like it has all the same features as the Arctic Cat helmet you found - modular, electric shield, flip down sun visor, quick release strap, etc. I haven't ridden with it yet but I love the fit and feel of it. It seems extremely light to me. I'll throw it on my scale tonight and let you know the exact weight.

#7 · (Edited)
Off this recommendation I got one at my local cat dealer for $219.99 with heated shield. Looks great for that price. I know it would have been cheaper through Country cat, but I got it on the spot.

#5 ·
I currently ride with an Older (2003-5) Ski-doo modular that I really like in terms of it's fog resistance and warmth, but, as you mentioned, they're a pretty heavy helmet.

Due to it's age, weight, and safety concerns, I'm considering going to an MX style helmet this year.

The safety concern is that modular helmets function much like a open face in a crash due to not having a fixed chin bar. Hence why all modulars that I've seen are only DOT and not Snell rated. I haven't had to use a helmet yet, but, if I do, I'd like a little face/teeth protection.

With that said, the modular helmets are really convenient to get on and off/talk with.

#9 ·
I've used that helmet for 2 seasons. It's a descent helmet, especially for the price. My review:

1. The breath box is useless - use the heated shield, you'll never need it. The heated shield works really, really well
2. It's light. Doesn't fatigue like my TXi
3. Shield seals really well - no dry eyes
4. Sunshield is completely useless for two reasons (I hate yellow, and it is always frosted up)
5. It's warm and cool depending upon how you have the vents open
6. Careful with the shield, it scratches very easily on the inside.

The only other thing that i dislike - maybe because i don't use the breath box - on colder days (down around zero) the latch mechanism will freeze up to the point that you can't unlatch it. If you do get it unlatched, then it won't latch down until you thaw things out.

Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.