Protective gear for the kiddos - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2019, 06:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Default Protective gear for the kiddos

What if any kind of extra protective gear are you getting for your kids that are going to be out on the Evo? I have worn an EVS vest for the last few seasons and I was looking for something for my daughter to wear since I won't be between her and the handle bars as much this year.

Or am I being over cautious for no reason? My biggest fear is some dough head doing mach 3 down the trail and catching us on a blind corner. I am not overly concerned that she is going to get out of control on the sled but they are called accidents for a reason.

With a pretty limited selection of snowmobile protective vests out there and an even smaller selection of gear based for smaller people in the snow I ended up ordering a couple different vest style moto-x protectors to try on her. EVS has a great sale this weekend if you live in the states... but up here in canada none of their suppliers had anything on sale. So I ended up ordering a Thor Sentry vest and a Leatt 4.5 body vest. Both were similar in price and are supposed to be ce certified so I guess we will see when they come in how the fit and comfort level is.
Cheallaigh likes this.
Littlehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Mine 2016 Polaris ProS Rush 600/His 18 SBA800
Previous Sled(s): 97 Skidoo 380 Touring E, 96 Polaris XLT Touring 2up
Favorite Riding Area: Georgian Bay
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 2016

where are you riding?
Old 12-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2009 YAMAHA VECTOR LTX & 08 VECTOR SHORTY
Previous Sled(s): 97-ZRT600,98-XTC600 & 500 XTC, 95-ZR580,91-MX, 86-INDY,
Favorite Riding Area: IDAHO
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1223
Riding Since: 1980

https://www.demonunited.com/

I have had great luck with this company and there products . I have 3 of there Hyper vest and one 3DO Flexforce upper body top .

Prices are excellent and they make items for the ladies also !
DGZRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheallaigh View Post
where are you riding?
We ride up in Northern Saskatchewan, mostly groomed forest trails. And when we have enough snow ditch banging along the highways and riding in fields.

Like I say my biggest concern is someone else running into us or us having to take the trees to avoid a collision. Most riders are pretty good but it only takes one with to many beverages to misjudge their speed and the corner ahead.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:

try tekvest, they're here in ontario.
Littlehoe likes this.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheallaigh View Post
try tekvest, they're here in ontario.
Ya I really like the tekvest product, its just way over priced to buy it new in my opinion. I have been keeping my eye out for a gently used one but they are few and far between still. Not a lot of people out here are wearing protective gear yet it seems.
Cheallaigh likes this.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:

i think it's great you're being proactive on the protective gear, things happen and teach them younger about safety.
Littlehoe likes this.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '18 Ass 800, '19 Pro 800, ‘01 XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): Lots
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 700...
Riding Since: 1987

Both my kids 7 and 11 where tekvests. Your call on what you think expensive is but I wear one too. They are good quality and I will spend more $ on protective gear.
Littlehoe and Cheallaigh like this.
amoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoris View Post
Both my kids 7 and 11 where tekvests. Your call on what you think expensive is but I wear one too. They are good quality and I will spend more $ on protective gear.
Totally agree that protective gear is worth every penny, that being said if I can find an option that is comparable in safety and costs $200 vs the $350+ I would be paying for a TekVest branded vest I would definitely consider that. Protective gear at our dealerships are few and far between as well, I cant just go to any dealership or recreation supply store and try some on for fitment. I think one place about an hour from me had 2 tekvests in stock and if I recall both were like xl sized.

I don't know what its like in many other areas but here in Saskatchewan people still look at me funny for wearing a protective vest. I get lots of questions as to why I wear it and whether its needed or not. But I guess it would be similar to having studs in your track. Its pretty much unheard of to run a studded track here but on all the tv shows it appears the majority of trail riders in other areas all seem to stud their tracks.
BobRoss and Cheallaigh like this.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlehoe View Post
Totally agree that protective gear is worth every penny, that being said if I can find an option that is comparable in safety and costs $200 vs the $350+ I would be paying for a TekVest branded vest I would definitely consider that. Protective gear at our dealerships are few and far between as well, I cant just go to any dealership or recreation supply store and try some on for fitment. I think one place about an hour from me had 2 tekvests in stock and if I recall both were like xl sized.

I don't know what its like in many other areas but here in Saskatchewan people still look at me funny for wearing a protective vest. I get lots of questions as to why I wear it and whether its needed or not. But I guess it would be similar to having studs in your track. Its pretty much unheard of to run a studded track here but on all the tv shows it appears the majority of trail riders in other areas all seem to stud their tracks.
i still need to order and get a custom tekvest(minden is about an hour and a half away), going to cost me between 500-600, but it's kinda only need to buy it once barring an accident thing, and then it would pay for itself. things got busy over the summer though so i wont have it for this season as planned unfortunately. since i'm barely over 5' the store bought stuff wont fit me.

there's a lot of water/ice around the great lakes, i basically have a river in my front yard, with the mouth half a dozen houses further down, that leads into the georgian bay(eastern) half of lake huron. so i spend a lot of time on ice and studs are pretty much a must here. my hubby and i also wear full sets of the fxr FAST(makes yah float and drains if you fall in) gear as well.
BobRoss likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement