Evo trail mileage/range..? - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2020, 02:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Advanced Member

We made 71 miles the other day and it wasn't sputtering or anything that would lead me to believe it was low on fuel. The gauge was showing reserve from around the 50 mile mark so I was a little concerned but I had spare gas and was prepared for the worst.

On a Evo Fb group another guy got I think 84 or 86 miles and still didn't run out of fuel... So I am thinking that the gauge in these sleds is really inaccurate. Its to bad it didn't have an electric fuel gauge in the tank.

As for making it easier to fill near the top, without dismantling the sled and trying to shorten that tube that goes down from the cap I think we are just stuck going really slow near the top.
Littlehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 09:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 VIPER STX-DX 2012 PHAZER GT

good trails ridden gentle seems like 80 miles + however far you can go once it reads on the reserve....reserve is about 2 gallons/8 l ?
also notice fuel guage is very sensitive to how level the sled is..from about 4 inches lower on front , level , and 4 inches high on front is a difference of an entire 1/4 tank by the guage..
anyway close to 100 miles under perfect conditions on trail theoretically should be possible I guess not that bad..
did still add a jerry can tho….peace of mind and little extra if there is off trail involved.
Slowmobiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Advanced Member

We got 95 miles the other day. It was on reserve from the 50 mile mark. And by the time we got back to the truck it sounded pretty empty when I loaded her up. That being said it didn't stutter or miss at any point so there must have still been enough gas in the tank.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2004 XC500SP, 2002 Polaris Classic 600
Previous Sled(s): 1990 Indy Trail, 1976 ColtSS, 1970 Charger 398
Favorite Riding Area: Bowstring, Bigfork, Marcell
Riding Since: 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlehoe View Post
We made 71 miles the other day and it wasn't sputtering or anything that would lead me to believe it was low on fuel. The gauge was showing reserve from around the 50 mile mark so I was a little concerned but I had spare gas and was prepared for the worst.

On a Evo Fb group another guy got I think 84 or 86 miles and still didn't run out of fuel... So I am thinking that the gauge in these sleds is really inaccurate. Its to bad it didn't have an electric fuel gauge in the tank.

As for making it easier to fill near the top, without dismantling the sled and trying to shorten that tube that goes down from the cap I think we are just stuck going really slow near the top.
It has been my experience that fuel gauges - electric or mechanical - are linear. Meaning, if the float is half way down it's travel, it will read half a tank. Maybe the new ones are better, but I doubt it.

Fuel tanks are not linear at all - the bottom of the tank has a lot more fuel than the top. Meaning, if you take a tape measure and figure the fuel is half way down, you've actually got a lot more fuel by volume than half (between 3/5 and 2/3 of a tank, probably).

Yet, the gauge is going to read half. Don't look at the gauge and think you have that much fuel left. Look at the gauge and think the float is that far down.

One thing that has improved in a huge way is the accuracy of speedometers and odometers. So, once you have a good idea on average mileage, calculate range based on available fuel, reset the tripmeter every time you fill up, then you have a pretty decent idea how much fuel you have.

I use my trip meter as my "real" gas gauge.
Littlehoe likes this.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlehoe View Post
We got 95 miles the other day. It was on reserve from the 50 mile mark. And by the time we got back to the truck it sounded pretty empty when I loaded her up. That being said it didn't stutter or miss at any point so there must have still been enough gas in the tank.
I also forgot to add that after the 95 mile trip I was only able to squeeze in 35 liters of fuel which is about 9.24 gallons according to the internet. So if the tank size is accurate and you are able to fill it right up we would still have had about 3/4 of a gallon of fuel left.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 VIPER STX-DX 2012 PHAZER GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlehoe
I also forgot to add that after the 95 mile trip I was only able to squeeze in 35 liters of fuel which is about 9.24 gallons according to the internet. So if the tank size is accurate and you are able to fill it right up we would still have had about 3/4 of a gallon of fuel left.

Good to know it will take 35 l...
we did 86 miles last trip....read at reserve from 50-60 miles on..
took 28 liters to fill so 100 miles would really be pushing it.
Slowmobiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

we are taking a good look at a evo. i don't have young kids but will probably buy one for testing. we had performance and reliability kits back in the day for the 550 fan. working closely with thunder products we got 20 mpg and 85 mph out of simple intake mod's. i know most aren't going to want the speed. but we might make a big difference in fuel mileage on this motor? if we can detune it and still get that mileage?

as far as getting more fuel in these faster. take a piece of small steel rod. bend about 3/4-1" on one end. grind a point on it. heat it but not red hot but hot. and burn a hole in one or two sides of the piece that goes down into the tank. this makes a air vent and you can fill it much faster. this is made this way for no fuel splash or spill. some environmental bs just make sure your below the outside filler neck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Northstar Performance Products
Stage 1,2,3 clutch kits
Oil tank vent kits
Doo T-Stat bypass kits
Rush/Axys A-Arm bushing kits
550 fan upgrade kit

Our products have been race tested and proven all across North America!

Authorized dealer for
SLP
RK-Tek
WPS
US Chrome
Thunder Products
Automatic Distributors
Venom/Team Ind.
Redline Oil
Klotz Racing Synthetics
K100

Last edited by northstarrick; 01-31-2020 at 08:19 AM.
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement