Evo indy vs RMK Evo - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2019, 12:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 VIPER STX-DX 2012 PHAZER GT
Default Evo indy vs RMK Evo

Hi all...
just seen Polaris is now offering a RMK evo..
did talk briefly with a salesman and he was adimatetly steering me towards the RMK evo over the Indy evo
(for my 12 yr old son) kid does like the look of the RMK over the Indy but he is 12 and doesn't know.

I don't know anything about the Polaris machines never had or looked at polaris so have questions..(Yamaha/Cat rider)
The kid would be mostly trail riding with me and his mom but I would like to teach him some off trail skill and let him have some fun too,.
concern would be if the rmk evo would be suitable for mostly trail riding or if there would really be a huge difference vs the Indy Evo,

I don't know if either sled has sway bar or if rear skids are coupled or uncoupled on the indy, I would have to assume uncoupled in the rmk..

Any one have any opinion/ insight which might be "best"?
Guess the only real concern is if the rmk evo handles worse on trail or is geared too low or other issues due to it being "mountain" type sled. Or am I just worrying about no real difference?

Price difference is insignificant..makes the rmk evo look like the better deal...plus it has a real nice track and ski set up for a kid?dont think the indy evo would be much fun in deepish snow.

thanks in advance..
Slowmobiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Advanced Member

I'd say the RMK would be fine for the trail, the 144 will push a little more in the corner than the short track but I don't think it would be to bad. I just bought the regular EVO for my 12 year old but I was able to find a left over from last year for a good price which is what swayed me that direction. Well and also cause the colors matched my sled. We will ride mostly ditches, fields and some trails. The 1" track on the shorty EVO looks like it should be just fine, plus if I can teach her how to ride a short track in deeper snow she will be that much better when she upgrades to something longer.

I don't know if the gearing or clutch weights are any different. I would assume it would be geared a little lower, and have weights set up for altitude. But depending where you are the dealership should be able to set that up before you buy it. And as for the gearing I don't think it would matter with it being speed limited anyway it will only get up to 50mph and then cut out.

Basically in my opinion get the RMK. If I had to pay retail and it came in blue I would have bought the RMK instead of the Shorty. lol..

Worst case plan for me is I have to upgrade in a couple years and she upgrades to my pro-x lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7842.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	2062126  
Littlehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Thanks..
Well I looked into the gearing and clutching (via online owners manual)
Looks like gearing and clutching is same, and is jetted for 0-2000 ft so same/same
Anyway taking the RMK Evo...just paid for one at dealer..
Kid will be happy I would think...just have to figure out how to hide it till Christmas morning lol....haven't picked it up yet..no snow anyway...
Seems to me the extra track and wider skis will be a plus mostly and he did really like the RMK Evo I think due to the higher bar with mountain strap and bar end hooks..
also the long track.
Anyway think this will be a great sled for him to start on..
p51mstg likes this.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

O ya and bar end hooks might be usefull if riding off trail..help keep the hands from sliding off bar..or at least give more confidence..
Old 11-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
ste
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 20 850 ProRMK 163, 20 Summit Expert 165
Favorite Riding Area: NH - Coos County
19-20 Mileage: 0
18-19 Mileage: 994

I went with the rmk evo for my 10 year old. Think he’ll get longer use out of that one due to the longer deeper lug track. Once he’s comfortable on it, I plan to swap out the front end and suspension to get him into some deeper snow.

Check out Chris Burandt on Instagram. He has a few posts on what he did to the rmk evo for his 10 year old son.
ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 Rush 600 Pro R
Previous Sled(s): Always ski-doo or polaris. Currently polaris
Favorite Riding Area: Michigan upper and lower
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: Many Miles
17-18 Mileage: Not Great
16-17 Mileage: Not great
Riding Since: 1986

Is it going to be available New from the dealer already upgraded ? Or is it going to always be buy the sled then pay the $$$$ for the upgrade ? The Ole' Lady Grady loves the older low siting sleds and our 340 Indy, she has never even ridin my rush and doesn't want to. That RMK would be a perfect sled if upgraded to get her on.
RidinMi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Not sure if you are asking about the burandt upgrades or the Evo itself. But the Evo and rmk Evo are both available from the dealer currently. And I was just looking into some of the burandt upgrades and I’m pretty sure that’s gonna be a buy yourself the parts and do it on your own kinda upgrade kit. They do have the polaris kit to give the Evo full size suspension and get rid of the electronic governer but it’s a fair chunk of money too.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 Rush 600 Pro R
Previous Sled(s): Always ski-doo or polaris. Currently polaris
Favorite Riding Area: Michigan upper and lower
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: Many Miles
17-18 Mileage: Not Great
16-17 Mileage: Not great
Riding Since: 1986

I'm referring to the performance upgrades for the motor and clutching etc. Sounds expensive for what you'll have after all the upgrades, but some people want the smaller scale snowmobile. My wife and kid are both 5'1" and it would be perfect for them. Maybe Polaris will do an upgraded version in the future ??
RidinMi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Advanced Member

The Evo looks to be discounted from what you would pay for the "full size" unit
Upgrade kit would bring it to only slightly more if at all more
The big difference would be if you cant do the work to install kit yourself...that would make it more expensive...lot of shop time to install?
Also the 550 fan keeps costs down...RMK is not avail with the 550 fan I don't think in "full size" so if you wanted to get the rmk evo and could install the kit would it not still be a bit cheaper?
Doubt they will offer and upgraded version unless sales were exceptional.and got requests for?
It is what it is...
Probably could do the throttle, ignition box and clutching for reasonable and call it good?
Old 11-18-2019, 12:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Advanced Member

ya once my daughter puts some miles on I may unhook the electronic limiter wire from under the hood and let her get up to speed. But for now it will be good I think... I haven't rode it yet but sounds like the power gets to 50mph quick before its restricted so at least you shouldn't have an issue playing in the snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement