Go Big or Go Little? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2019, 02:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Go Big or Go Little?

I'm torn on making a purchase... Currently I ride a 2018 pro-x switchback and love it. I have a daughter who is going to be 12 in the fall and has been on sleds for the last few years, mostly on an 01 550 2 up but she has also rode my 2014 800 cat and the pro-x from time to time at the farm and handled them fine. The wife also has rode them all in the past but I think probably has less driving time than my daughter. This year my daughter will be taking her safety course so she can ride in the rally's and on trails instead of only at the farm and I am going to be picking up a newer sled for her/the wife to ride. Now I love the idea of the EVO for its size and ease of use, but I have come across a 2015 pro-x 800 sb for about $6500 which is close to what I would be paying for a left over EVO.

The Pro-x of course has all the bells and whistles, but also has 900 miles on it. And I don't want to get something that they will scare themselves on and then not want to ride. But I also don't want to buy something that will be to slow and boring and they won't want to ride.

Whats the opinions out there?
Littlehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 07:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): The Frankenstein
Favorite Riding Area: Anywhere there is snow.
Riding Since: 1992

Following. Very interested to see where this goes. Personally I'm of two schools of thought.
polaris bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 SBA 800 2015 INDY 800 2015 INDY 550
Previous Sled(s): Couple D8's
16-17 Mileage: 1400

Only you know here experiences level and ability on a
a sled. Saying that, at 12 and only a few winters on a Sled I’d say go smaller.
It’s the “fear factor” that gets new riders in trouble. What Happens when she possibly panics when another rider over shoots a turn and she grabs a handful of throttle?
Only you can make that call based on how you’ve seen her handle the sled.
When you are 100% comfortable she does double shoulder checks, stops at intersections and knows throttle control then make that call.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OutKast is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2019, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
18-19 Mileage not much
15-16 Mileage: Zero
Riding Since: 70 s

Like said i guess it depends on ones ability and primary where the sled will be ridden. If it were here in ma. i'd say thats way too much sled for someone that young to handle as the terrain can be fairly challenging. At any rate i always believed one should be at least 14 to operate a full size sled on the trails. Have seen too many bad endings for youngsters as such over the years if a panic situation arrives.
p51mstg likes this.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2004 XC500SP, 2002 Polaris Classic 600
Previous Sled(s): 1990 Indy Trail, 1976 ColtSS, 1970 Charger 398
Favorite Riding Area: Bowstring, Bigfork, Marcell
Riding Since: 1973

I like the Evo a lot. Its perfect for teenagers and even beginner adults. Wish Id had that choice when I was looking for a sled for my wife.

My 1990 Indy Trail 488 fan was a great sled and the Evo is way better.
too slow likes this.
p51mstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Advanced Member

not meaning to stray from your Polaris preference, but I bought my 12 year old at the time grand daughter a ski doo renegade ace 900. never owned a ski doo before this. been a super sled for her. the learn key was the selling point for me-takes off gradually and tops out around 45. with normal key it takes off rather well and has top speed of 80. 4 stroke also means less smell
Dsremodel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Assault
Favorite Riding Area: Closest place with snow

I'd personally not buy either for my kids. The Evo was a can do approximation to what the market needs for that segment. The ProX is also terrible for light riders. I just came off one. No way no how can you click those shocks to kid friendly. My boys also don't need that spirited of a motor at that age.

Both are bad ideas IMO. Plenty of other choices.
Deephaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well the main reason for leaning towards the Pro originally was because my wife and sometimes my father would probably be riding the other sled. That being said Dad enjoys riding the big couch 2 up touring we have as well.

And its also not that I am adverse to other brands but I haven't had alot of luck with the Doo dealer here, and I have been treated very well by the polaris dealer. And after the way my old Nytro and xf cat handled and rode I won't be going to either of those brands anytime soon again.

Any of you current EVO owners have adults that ride them? How do they fit the average adult? I'd go look at one at the dealership but they are all still in storage and its just quads, sxs and boats in the showroom right now.
Littlehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
18-19 Mileage not much
15-16 Mileage: Zero
Riding Since: 70 s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deephaven View Post
I'd personally not buy either for my kids. The Evo was a can do approximation to what the market needs for that segment. The ProX is also terrible for light riders. I just came off one. No way no how can you click those shocks to kid friendly. My boys also don't need that spirited of a motor at that age.

Both are bad ideas IMO. Plenty of other choices.
The way the pro x was delivered from polaris was garbage. The skid shocks were valved for jumping houses, and that clicker just didn't work as well as a fox clicker, plus the prox rear torsion springs were junk...many guys installed an edge skid and were done with it. Actually the ifs was pretty good once adjusted for less preload. The regular prox had those ryde solo shocks similar to the 05 50th 600 edge which imo were a good shock.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '16 ZR6 El Tigre, '90 Jag 340
Previous Sled(s): '02 ZL 600, '91 Indy 500
Favorite Riding Area: Wherever I am.
18-19 Mileage 2005
17-18 Mileage: 1100
16-17 Mileage: 300
15-16 Mileage: 673
Riding Since: 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by too slow View Post
The way the pro x was delivered from polaris was garbage. The skid shocks were valved for jumping houses, and that clicker just didn't work as well as a fox clicker, plus the prox rear torsion springs were junk...many guys installed an edge skid and were done with it. Actually the ifs was pretty good once adjusted for less preload. The regular prox had those ryde solo shocks similar to the 05 50th 600 edge which imo were a good shock.
Hes talking about a 2015 pro x

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Let it Snow! is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement